+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Salary cap is talent redistribution -- it's BS and I'm sick of it

I understand that the cap is in place so that smaller market teams can compete with bigger markets, and also to protect themselves from going to crazy on spending their own money.

But it's also talent redistribution and I'm sick of it. Teams like the Giants, Steelers, GB, and NE who build through the draft have to lose out on their own talented guys (MM, BJ) to teams that haven't necessarily managed their cap well, but rather can't draft well.

The 'skins, Jets, 'boys, Eagles -- these teams draft like crap and have cap space because they let their own crappy players walk. When do these teams ever lose out on one of their own good or solid players because of cap reasons? They have maybe a handful of players that other teams would actually spend money on.

Other teams could have drafted Nicks, but chose Heward-Bay and Crabtree. They don't have to worry too much about clearing cap space for that crap. Nor do any of the 15 teams that passed on JPP (like the Eagle trading up to take Ben Graham ahead of JPP) have to worry about clearing cap space because of their own stupid mistake of not drafting the guy to begin with.

Get rid of the cap or tweak it somehow because it's crap. Sorry if this is sour grapes, but I am upset that BJ is gone and that we're going to have a tough few years clearing space to keep JPP, Cruz, and Nicks.

Veteran

Re: Salary cap is talent redistribution -- it's BS and I'm sick of it

I like it.

Much fairer than baseball.

Veteran

liberalism at its finest.

[quote user="Axels15"]I like it.

Much fairer than baseball.[/quote]
    I want the smaller teams to be competitive in terms of retaining their own talent, but when the heck do they ever draft well? That's my point.

The Jags are crap, 'phins aren't very good (Miami's not exactly small market either), Panthers stink except for their QB.

Most other teams don't seem to have to worry about losing their own productive players because they never draft enough of them to begin with. That's my point.

It's not like the Giants are the Yankees who sign every other teams stars. Just sucks that we can't keep our own players because we have a lot of talent, while other teams can't draft for crap.

[quote user="Spizi"]liberalism at its finest.[/quote]
    Ha! +1. I consider myself a capitalist, but the NFL has done a great job of making itself the # 1 sport in the US and the cap has done a good job in at least giving smaller markets a chance to compete.

But my point is that plenty of other teams suck the blood of the Giants, Steelers, GB, and NE because they can't draft worth crap. What stud have the Jets, Eagles, 'skins, or Cowboys ever lost over the past 10 years? Meanwhile, we've got a plethera of talent (JPP, Nicks, and Cruz) who we are going to have to get so damn creative in our cap for in order to keep.

[quote user="Axels15"]I like it.

Much fairer than baseball.[/quote]
    Baseball does not even have a hard cap -- all you do is pay more money if you go over. Yeah, it is better than baseball's, but my point is losing our own talent teams of losers who can't develop their own. It just sucks.

Starter

The cap is a big part of that #1 sport in America. Baseball is going to hell and basketball needs a francise tag.

I like it. Without a cap the Cowboys would win every year.

[quote user="PRFan"]The cap is a big part of that #1 sport in America. Baseball is going to hell and basketball needs a francise tag.[/quote]
    I recognize that, but I also believe that it's a talent cap as much as salary cap.

There seem to be a whhhooooolllleee bunch of teams that never seem to have salary cap issues because they open the door to their stables of crappy players that they've drafted and loot someone else's players to try to make up for the empty spot that was their original mistake.

I'm just ranting because we lost BJ and we're going to be through cap contortionist tricks in order to keep our own guys.

Osi will probably be gone next year to a team that never thinks to draft DEs, doesn't scout well enough, or doesn't know how to develop them.

[quote user="Flip Empty"]I like it. Without a cap the Cowboys would win every year.[/quote]
    That organization just sucks.

For his own good Jerry is lucky that a cap is in place, otherwise he'd be the Wilpons of the NFL -- spending boat loads of money on crappy talent trying to make up for the fact that you never develop any of your own.