+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

CUTTING/RELEASING JACOBS WAS A STUPID MOVE

Now that I heard the all financiial terms of why Jacobs was cut, I firmly believe that cutting Jacobs was a stupid move. Jerry Reese made a bad move. Here is why.

1. It is true Jacobs productivity is on the decline and it is probably safe to say this may have been his last productive year, but there is more to a player like him than full productivity. He was a true force on and off the field.

2. I am a firm beliver that if you want to repeat as Champs you need to keep key players like Jacobs who got you there. He was one of thetrue leader who lit the fire when it needed to be lit. He deserved to go out a Giant. Reminds me of what they did to Simms. Didn't like that either and still don't. I also don't like with whats going on with Blackburn

3. Despite his decline in overall productivity, he was still a good blocker and still played proficient eneough to resign for 2 million. The guy could still play. he gave money back last year to resign Bradshaw and now they stick it to him.

4. Who is going to take his place? Danny Ware? LOL Darrel Scott? Maybe. Bradshaw is never 100% and now we have a weakness that must be addressed through the draft or free agency. We have other needs and now this just complicates matters

5. Sorry, as much as I think Jerry Reese gets it right 9 out of 10 times, I cannot drink the kool-aid on this one. Reese messed up this one.

Re: CUTTING/RELEASING JACOBS WAS A STUPID MOVE

Jacobs was a joke and he asked to be let go because he didnt like what the Gmen offered. The guy will be lucky to be in the league in a year or two, way overrated. Nuf Said!

Reese is betting on other teams passing on an 8 year RB that has maybe a year or two left in the tank. I'm not picturing many teams will want to sign Jacobs when they can just draft their own RB's with little wear and tear in the draft.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

I have been Jacobs biggest defender here but I can't fault the Giants letting him go. Even though I blame the offensive line for the struggling rushing game this season, I also see the decline of Jacobs with his speed and power. So he is declining and will only get worse, cost expensive $2 million and is 30 YEARS OLD and we all know what happens when RBs are even lucky enough to even reach 30 years old and play in the NFL.

I think the Giants can get a much cheaper and just as productive RB in the draft as a 30 year old version Jacobs. Nothing wrong with giving Ware a chance as he has 4 yards per rush in his career and had 27 receptions just this season which is pretty good for a 3rd RB that doesn't play much.

Veteran

[quote user="NYGiantsFan56"]

Now that I heard the all financiial terms of why Jacobs was cut, I firmly believe that cutting Jacobs was a stupid move. Jerry Reese made a bad move. Here is why.

1. It is true Jacobs productivity is on the decline and it is probably safe to say this may have been his last productive year, but there is more to a player like him than full productivity. He was a true force on and off the field.

2.* I am a firm beliver that if you want to repeat as Champs you need to keep key players like Jacobs who got you there. He was one of the*true leader who lit the fire when it needed to be lit. He deserved to go out a Giant. Reminds me of what they did to Simms. Didn't like that either and still don't. I also don't like with whats going on with Blackburn

3. Despite his decline in overall productivity, he was still a good blocker and still played proficient eneough to resign for 2 million. The guy could still play. he gave money back last year to resign Bradshaw and now they stick it to him.

4. Who is going to take his place? Danny Ware? LOL Darrel Scott? Maybe. Bradshaw is never 100% and now we have a weakness that must be addressed through the draft or free agency. We have other needs and now this just complicates matters

5. Sorry, as much as I think Jerry Reese gets it right 9 out of 10 times, I cannot drink the kool-aid on this one. Reese messed up this one.

[/quote]

On the field he was amazing during his first few seasons, but after signing his big contract his running style changed. Then he was sorta made fun of by the media and fans for being a big guy who preferred to avoid contact around the LOS.

He was a good blocker, I agree.

I disagree with him being any kind of a significant force/leader off the field. He was a PR nightmare. He didn't know when to shut up and when he did speak it was a lot of BS that should have never been said - like when he threatened to retire if he didn't improve his play. Or when he cried publicly about wanting more carries not considering how it affects the locker room - particularly the other RB's who aren't airing their dirty laundry in the media. A good leader knows how to deal with the media. Just because he barks a lot on camera, doesn't mean he's some kind of driving force for our offense on game day.

As for his replacement, I agree with you that there's uncertainty. However, I don't think Ware or Scott should be laughed at. Do we really know they are that bad? Plus there's no telling who replaces him - I like the idea of developing a rookie. Maybe someone who can split carries with Bradshaw during his first season.

[quote user="ashaddyt2269"]Jacobs was a joke and he asked to be let go because he didnt like what the Gmen offered. The guy will be lucky to be in the league in a year or two, way overrated. Nuf Said![/quote]

To call Jacobs a joke shows you know nothing about Giants Football. The guy was still a performer according to Coach Coughlin. It was a finacial numbers game. How long have you been a Giants Fan? A month?You do not know what you are talking about. Now Nuf Said!!!!

[quote user="TheEnigma"]Reese is betting on other teams passing on an 8 year RB that has maybe a year or two left in the tank. I'm not picturing many teams will want to sign Jacobs when they can just draft their own RB's with little wear and tear in the draft.[/quote]

Hopefully they will resign him when they get all there cap numbers settled and see how much they really have to play with. I hope you are right.

[quote user="NYGiantsFan56"]

[quote user="ashaddyt2269"]Jacobs was a joke and he asked to be let go because he didnt like what the Gmen offered. The guy will be lucky to be in the league in a year or two, way overrated. Nuf Said![/quote]

To call Jacobs a joke shows you know nothing about Giants Football. The guy was still a performer according to Coach Coughlin. It was a finacial numbers game. How long have you been a Giants Fan? A month?*You do not know what you are talking about. Now Nuf Said!!!!

[/quote]

Agree, not sure why there are so many brandon jacob haters.

The guy was a giant for awhile and he did what he had to do.

To be fair, I don't think we need him much anymore unless for real cheap. I'm sure there are other teams out there that could pay him a little more and use him

It's ridiculous the amount of celebrating going on in relation to the cutting of Jacobs.

i truly do not understand it. Some fans are really clueless.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

It was a fiscal decision . . that had to be done.