+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Evaluate Offensive Line

Our current roster as per http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/roster?team=NYG

We should have 10 Offensive Linemen.
    (Theme: Where can we improve throught FA and draft)
    Q1: Who do we cut?
    Q2: Who do you prefer as replacement or improvement via FA or draft?

=== Center ===
    63 Cordle, Jim C 6'3" 320 Exp 1 Ohio State
    64 Baas, David C 6'4" 312 Exp 7 Michigan

=== Guard ===
    70 Ugoh, Tony G 6'5" 301 Exp 5 Arkansas
    77 Boothe, Kevin G 6'5" 320 Exp 6 Cornell
    White, Chris G 6'2" 295 Exp 7 S Miss
    76 Snee, Chris G 6'3" 305 Exp 8 BC
    62 Petrus, Mitch G 6'3" 315 Exp 2 Arkansas

=== OT ===
    79 Brewer, James T 6'6" 330 Exp 0 Indiana
    Capers, Selvish T 6'5" 315 Exp 1 W Virginia
    65 Beatty, Will T 6'6" 319 Exp 3 Connecticut
    78 Andrews, Stacy T 6'6" 318 Exp 8 Mississippi
    66 Diehl, David T 6'5" 304 Exp 9 Illinois
    67 McKenzie, K T 6'6" 330 Exp 11 Penn St

Re: Evaluate Offensive Line

IMO, I think the Giants would be wise and prudent to acquire 2 OL, whether its FA or draft.

I prefer players that can multi task by playing multiple positions to give us greatest flexibility.
    I would like to see a T, preferably an anchor LT.
    Beatty is ok but i'm not completely satisfied that he is the LT solution long term. If not then a T that can also play G. I would like to acquire a C/G.

Although I would give Baas a chance as he played hurt and did ok in the playoffs, when we pick if a stud C is bpa i would draft in first round and have option to move Bass ro natural G psn. It's not sexy pick but wise option.

From left to right:

B- (either one), B, C+, A, soon to be or already vacant.

I know we have Petrus etc but we need 2.

No one remembers who came in second.

Whether he turns it around or not, we're stuck with Baas for at least another year. However, I think the two tackle positions were much more of an issue during the playoff run. We've already told McKenzie he won't be back, and Beatty's return should help. A lot may depend on James Brewer's ability to step up. If he can hold the fort at RT, it would be a huge factor on the play of the offensive line.

Other than that, I think that we need to ensure Deihl is nothing more than a backup. Props to him for playing hurt, but he just does not have it anymore.

Beatty-Boothe-Baas-Snee-Brewer could be the setup. If Reese doesn't feel confident with that lineup, he may bring in a cheap veteran. A sneaky sign would be Evan Mathis from the Eagles. Dude was a monster last year and could replace Boothe.

Whether or not a veteran is signed, I would bet that we draft at least one young guy to bring in some new blood. Not necessarily a high pick, but a few depth guys could be useful considering all the injuries we had last year.

I like our guards, and also liked how Bass kept on improving. I would just like to see improvements at the tackle positions, specially on the right side.

I like our younger players, and believe that they will contribute to another great run next year. But the Tackle positions are the dire need to upgrade.

I think the interior will be fine this year, it is the Tackles I worry about.

[quote user="gmen0820"]I think the interior will be fine this year, it is the Tackles I worry about.[/quote]Truth. We've lost the ability to run at the tackles and other teams know this. In turn, it makes it harder to run up the gut because teams are expecting it. We need to pick up at least 2 more tackles whether in the draft or FA but I suppose it depends on what Reese possibly does with Diehl.

Agreed. I predict the Giants get two OL.
    We need depth and young blood to be groomed for future.

Dont be surprised if they keep Diehl as backup depth at RT though? I would love to sign one FA T as that is what we need, someone with experience and draft Peter Konz to play Center, if he is bpa when we draft. He will be stud Center for next 10 years!!! This would give us big banh for our buck.

I know we have Baas and Cordle but i dont know what Cordle brings to the table? Boothe is valuable as flexible swing man can play all psns! We still have Snee who plays very well.

For our future, this would give us great interior line flexibility as Bass can become backup Center and can move to Guard along with Petrus. With injuries you need good depth.

Flexibility:
    LT Beatty,G/C Bass,C Konz,G Snee,T/G/C Boothe
    FA LT, G Petris, C Cordle, T/G Diehl, RT Brewster

[quote user="paul007"]Agreed. I predict the Giants get two OL.

Dont be surprised if they keep Diehl as backup depth at RT though? I would love to sign one FA T as that is what we need, someone with experience and draft Peter Konz to play Center, if he is bpa when we draft. He will be stud Center for next 10 years!!! This would give us big banh for our buck.

I know we have Baas and Cordle but i dont know what Cordle brings to the table? Boothe is valuable as flexible swing man can play all psns! We still have Snee who plays very well.

For our future, this would give us great interior line flexibility as Bass can become backup Center and can move to Guard along with Petrus. With injuries you need good depth.

Flexibility:
    FA LT, G Petris, C Cordle, T/G Diehl, RT Brewster[/quote]

I like Konz as well and share your long term rationale about him, but I'd still be surprised if it happens with the other pressing needs and Baas being acquired so recently and his injury this season. They'll give him another go- it's the Giants way to not easily give up on its players. Sure hope to still be surprised though.[]

[quote user="swimeasy"][quote user="paul007"]Agreed. I predict the Giants get two OL.

Flexibility:
    FA LT, G Petris, C Cordle, T/G Diehl, RT Brewster[/quote]

I like Konz as well and share your long term rationale about him, but I'd still be surprised if it happens with the other pressing needs and Baas being acquired so recently and his injury this season. They'll give him another go- it's the Giants way to not easily give up on its players. Sure hope to still be surprised though.*[]
    [/quote]Boothe has looked awful when he plays Tackle he just isnt quick footed enough