+ Reply to Thread

Something not considered much

We have a pretty youthful team and many players already on the roster are worth retaining.
    I know we have alot of FA players we need to resign.

Instead of drafting 6 or 7 draft picks, is it possible, we can trade up, acquiring fewer but better quality draft picks and use the remaining money to keep our own FAs?

I can see us drafting quality: 2 OL, TE, and Safety and resign FA we already have.

Re: Something not considered much

The draft picks that you would be giving up would command a salary much less than the FA's that you are signing, so this most likely wouldn't work . . . . .

Oh well, then my idea stinks and is no good.

Its a great idea actually, but we are going to have to shell out some serious dough for JPP, Nicks, and Cruz within the next couple years, so our cap problems will continue.

However, It's definitely an option that Reese and the boys in the war-room are considering, and if they see a way to make it work for the RIGHT guy at the RIGHT price, then they'll make a move on him

I am good with our current young players, but any time that we can afford better talent, then your suggestion is the way to go. It is all about the bottom line... but as a fan, of course, I would like to see us get great picks.

[quote user="paul007"]Oh well, then my idea stinks and is no good.[/quote]
    personally i like your idea , but we will probably lose 10-15 guys to FA so this year we sort of need the rookies to fill things in.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

[quote user="Harooni"][quote user="paul007"]Oh well, then my idea stinks and is no good.[/quote]
    personally i like your idea , but we will probably lose 10-15 guys to FA so this year we sort of need the rookies to fill things in.
    [/quote]As Harooni said...and, infact, I believe we will trade our pick into the second round and get quality players in rounds two, three and four...and hope for some diamonds in the rough for the later rounds...the more, low-dollar options we have the better...so we need to figure out who the steals will be in the later rounds and make trades. We may not need them all this year and so they will go onto the practice squad or prove they are not worthy and we get rid of an extra pick from a certain round as opposed to our only pick from a certain round.

[quote user="paul007"]Oh well, then my idea stinks and is no good.[/quote]

Don't forget we've got guys like Cruz and JPP playing for what, $400k?

There's something to be said for drafting quality guys and having them for a few years at unbelievable bargain prices.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Usually losing that many veterans who have won SB's is not good because those guys are crucial in the playoffs when it comes to showing rookies how to get it done (ex. Tuck, Deihl, Mckenzie..etc)

Luckily, we got a ton of young guys who have had that experience who will stay with us for a long time (Nicks, Cruz, JPP...etc)

[quote user="paul007"]We have a pretty youthful team and many players already on the roster are worth retaining. I know we have alot of FA players we need to resign. Instead of drafting 6 or 7 draft picks, is it possible, we can trade up, acquiring fewer but better quality draft picks and use the remaining money to keep our own FAs? I can see us drafting quality: 2 OL, TE, and Safety and resign FA we already have.[/quote]

i think drafting 6-8 players per year serves a team better than only having 2-3 draftees to select from!

take our 07 draft class, a coupla of our starters are from the 7th round. if we move up in that draft chances are we dont get those guys.

its the same every year! take as many as possible imo!