+ Reply to Thread

GIANTS LEFT WITH TOUGH DECISIONS

GIANTS LEFT WITH TOUGH DECISIONS

"The man who made the catch that arguably won Super Bowl XLVI very well may
    not be a Giant in 48 hours.

And Mario Manningham could be joined by other playoff heroes who soon may be
    playing elsewhere.

Chase Blackburn saved the season with his fourth-quarter interception of Tom
    Brady. But like Manningham, the linebacker will be a free agent Tuesday, when
    the market opens for business.

And so will Devin Thomas, the hero of the NFC Championship game, when he
    recovered two special teams fumbles that led to the conference title.

They are among the 20 unrestricted free agents — including five 2011 starters
    as well as Terrell Thomas, Jonathan Goff and franchise-tagged punter Steve
    Weatherford — the Giants could lose.

The defending champs aren't expected to be major players in the market,
    instead looking to next month's draft to fill their holes. But they are under
    the salary cap after releasing Brandon Jacobs and restructuring Eli Manning's
    contract last week.

"We have some work to do," general manager Jerry Reese told reporters at the
    scouting combine last month.

It likely will begin at tight end, running back and in the secondary.

Jake Ballard and Travis Beckum face a minimum of seven months of rehab and
    may miss the season after both tight ends tore ACLs in the Super Bowl.

"Whether it's the draft or whatever, we're going to have to have some way of
    compensating so that we have enough people in camp to be able to work," coach
    Tom Coughlin said.

The termination of Jacobs' contract and the still-healing stress fracture in
    Ahmad Bradshaw's right foot leave the Giants requiring another back.

Another issue facing them is Manningham.

The valuable receiver repeatedly has said that he wants to return to the
    team. But he also wants to be paid as a No. 1 receiver. And the Giants simply
    cannot afford that. They recently re-signed Domenik Hixon.

The Giants also have decisions to make regarding Terrell Thomas and Goff,
    both of whom did not play in 2011 after tearing ACLs.

Terrell Thomas is regarded as one of the best cornerbacks in the NFC when
    healthy, and Goff looked impressive in training camp last season.

But injuries can complicate the dance between free agents and teams. See
    Steve Smith last summer.

Terrell Thomas appeared optimistic earlier this month that a deal would be
    reached, but recent tweets indicate that might have changed.

"I'm getting excited, patience is gone, I just wanna know where to call home,
    grind don't stop..." he wrote Thursday.

"All you can do is you have a plan. And the plan certainly does include those
    two guys," Coughlin said. "How soon or whatever, that remains to be seen."

The secondary figures to see at least some changes with seven defensive backs
    free to test the market.

They include cornerback Aaron Ross — who stepped in as a starter for Terrell
    Thomas — and safety Deon Grant.

The offensive line also will look different after the Giants told right
    tackle Kareem McKenzie they will not re-sign him.

But the Giants could decide to move David Diehl to the right side, or slip
    James Brewer, a fourth-round pick last season, into the role."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS LEFT WITH TOUGH DECISIONS

Many, many big decisions to be made for sure. Diehl to the right side I do like. Diehl and Snee side by side could really open up the running game on the right side. Beatty will be back and they always have the potential to draft a lineman if a really good one is available in the first round. Running back is big; but you can find good running backs deep into the draft.

Manningham's replacement may come in house, or they could think about a guy like Steve Smith. Manningham himself could put championship potential ahead of salary and stay with the team. He's worth some endorsement money for TV commercials, etc if he stays a Giant. The teams that will pay him big money are probably not going to be competitive anyhow.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all pans out; but I think the Giants will come away with a better O-line, and possibly a better running back group. They have the personnel to stay solid everywhere else.

I'm beginning to worry we will lose both TT and Ross.

Starter

I think we keep TT.

They will let TT hit the market to show him his value - if a team wants to gamble enough on him i think he walks but i can't see that being the case with his injury history. I'd wager he signs for a 1 year deal at the least. Ross i honestly have no clue about what will happen.

thanks Roanoke...wow...Reese has a full plate...still think the NYG can win the nfc east...but JR is clever...i thought JPP was a leap...how wrong was i???...this going to be a interesting draft because i don't expect the NYG to go the FAs route....good info, Ro.....

JR has alot of incredibley tough decisions to still make.

Losing Ross and Thomas would be a serious blow. They would be forced into taking a cornerback early

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]Losing Ross and Thomas would be a serious blow. They would be forced into taking a cornerback early[/quote]

Do we have any idea what the market looks like for Ross? If TT walks and gets that Kampman-like contract he's looking for, I wonder what it would take for Ross to re-sign. He's a few years older and has had injuries in the past, but is healthy currently and played well.