+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could Stephen Hill come in and replace MM right away?

After his proday, people are describing his game as if he were a suped up MM.

Excellent vertical threat who can run deep patterns; go routes, posts, and ins...which is almost exactly what we used MM for.

MM wasn't a possession WR for us, he was the target we used to exploit coverages when opposing defenses went all out to stop Cruz and Nicks.

Imo, Hill could be the perfect WR to work off of Cruz and Nicks. First, on 3rd downs, we could move him outside of Cruz in the slot. That'd give Eli the ability to decipher what the d is doing, and if Hill has 1v1 coverage, can let it fly. Secondly, Hill will most likely be around when we pick, because he played in that GT triple option offense, he has really no solid foundation for teams to base an early pick on him. Third, he has top 5 talent and athleticism and size.

I'm not saying he will def. be the pick, but if Reese selects him, I will be very confident bc it will mean Reese did his homework and believes he can come in and succeed right away, which is not typical for WR's in our offense. He could be used early for us bc I'd assume with the complexity of routes Nicks and Cruz will run, Hill wont be overwhelmed with our whole offense, I'd assume KG could give him 2 simpl concepts based on the defensive coverage offof Nicks and Cruz, and let Eli make the decision to throw to him which he won't if Hill messes up.

Just throwing that out there, kind of a boring sunday, just figured I'd see where others stand on it...

Re: Could Stephen Hill come in and replace MM right away?

remember, MM wasn't a consistent route runner, but he made up for it when the play did click and he ran the correct routes...he could really threaten opposing defenses to at the least, make sure Cruz or Nicks don't receive too much attention from opposing defenses, bc if they do, Hill will just fly by em

Veteran

You can't expect a guy who played in a triple option offense to come in and start right away in the NFL. I think that's a bad way to look at the draft anyway, and it's not the way we have drafted in the past. You draft for 2-3 years down the road. Which is why we're hoping Jernigan can step up this year.

Going from the Georgia Tech offense to Gilbride's would be a big jump so I honestly wouldn't expect him to contribute much in the passing game for the first half of the season.

What you left out in the original post is that his best ability is actually performing as a run blocker. People say he's the best run-blocking WR to come out in years so if he makes any instant impact, it would be on running plays where MAYBE you have some guys deep to account for Hill's speed.

Honestly though, I don't expect guys like him and Dontari Poe to be available at 32. They just have way too much upside to pass on once you get around the 20-25 range and you know some positional coaches are going to fall in love with this kid and lobby the GM to bring him in.

Banned

[quote user="giantsfan420"]After his proday, people are describing his game as if he were a suped up MM.

Excellent vertical threat who can run deep patterns; go routes, posts, and ins...which is almost exactly what we used MM for.

MM wasn't a possession WR for us, he was the target we used to exploit coverages when opposing defenses went all out to stop Cruz and Nicks.

Imo, Hill could be the perfect WR to work off of Cruz and Nicks. First, on 3rd downs, we could move him outside of Cruz in the slot. That'd give Eli the ability to decipher what the d is doing, and if Hill has 1v1 coverage, can let it fly. Secondly, Hill will most likely be around when we pick, because he played in that GT triple option offense, he has really no solid foundation for teams to base an early pick on him. Third, he has top 5 talent and athleticism and size.

I'm not saying he will def. be the pick, but if Reese selects him, I will be very confident bc it will mean Reese did his homework and believes he can come in and succeed right away, which is not typical for WR's in our offense. He could be used early for us bc I'd assume with the complexity of routes Nicks and Cruz will run, Hill wont be overwhelmed with our whole offense, I'd assume KG could give him 2 simpl concepts based on the defensive coverage offof Nicks and Cruz, and let Eli make the decision to throw to him which he won't if Hill messes up.

Just throwing that out there, kind of a boring sunday, just figured I'd see where others stand on it...[/quote]

No rookie WR is going to replace MM right away....period. All teams face the same sort of decisions and the Giants will let Manningham and many others go as the amount of free agents will be over 700! This is the highest EVER...it is a buyers market and the Giants should let EVERY free agent go to reduce the prices even more this offseason.

Veteran

Good question.

Yes he can the route tree for the Z receiver is not as complex as the one for the Y/X

I wonder what he scored on his wonderlic test ??

that kid has straight line speed and fluid movement in cuts he can catch defenders with back shoulder fades all day

if hes there at 32 it would be interesting to see who the giants go with

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
    @Katdaddyjay 17h
    @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Banned

[quote user="rainierjef"]Good question.

Yes he can the route tree for the Z receiver is not as complex as the one for the Y/X

that kid has straight line speed and fluid movement in cuts he can catch defenders with back shoulder fades all day

[/quote]

We both know the Giants will go with the best guy on the board and it will probably be some offensive lineman or yet another defensive end........and in two years we will be glad they took the guy they did.

Veteran

[quote user="Hooligans"][quote user="rainierjef"]Good question.

[/quote]

We both know the Giants will go with the best guy on the board and it will probably be some offensive lineman or yet another defensive end........and in two years we will be glad they took the guy they did.[/quote]

hey its BPA and i agree with you, but the way most mocks are shaping up the best CB's WR's DE's OL's or LB's are gone by pick 25

Hill, Fleener, Allen, L.Miller, Hightower are just some guys that are projected to fall to the 32 spot from what i'm reading, im no expert but if it were me i would build on offense this year. and the only reason he's not top 15-20 is cause of limited tape on him.

were getting back some CB's a MLB a S and a DT all due to injuries.

i just wonder whats priority on reeses board

@Katdaddyjay 17h

Why would we take a receiver of all positions?
    ALL IN!!!!!!!!

I'm ALL IN are you?

"Once a Giant, ALWAYS, a Giant."

Veteran

[quote user="NYG4lifeNYK"]Why would we take a receiver of all positions?
    [/quote]

BPA is not exclusive to One position. i think the only position that is safe of the BPA rule is QB and not even really. if by some shot of miracles andrew luck drops to 32 lmao he would be the BPA and im sure that would be hard to pass up.

@Katdaddyjay 17h