+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My draft philosophy just makes sense

Well maybe not a philosophy, but I have been saying this for many years. He who drafts early each year will never succeed. And heres why. Especially now with such tight cap restrictions. Here's why, you always see the same 5 teams picking in the top 10 every year. Well there is no way that you could ever retain that expensive talent and try and keep your group together. So you see it every year, the high price guys being able to walk, even though there team really needs there services. They just can't keep all those top 5 salaries. It's not possible. So it's like a vicious cycle. I am so glad to see detroit finally climbing out of the gutter, and letting a different team try and endure that awful trend. Well our team, we normally pick in the 2nd half of every round, where there is bargains, and not to mention the fact that there is less pressure to hit a home run with every pick when your letting guys fall to you. I absolutely love the draft, I totally have a draft party every year and it's like my favorite thing, only 2nd to every Sunday during giant season. I love the chess games and bargain hunts. The draft is where teams are made. I hate free agency. Teams should be rewarded for choosing the best player, not have to loose them every team for sake of parity. Go giants. For this years draft class, all I want is a stud backer.. Could you honestly imagine another LT playing on this current defense. Putting LT on JPPs side, bringing the house. There is not a system in the league that could stop our relentless pressure then. I get goose bumps even mentioning it. LT is the greatest player to ever suit up, ever.... Although JPP has the tools to be a nightmare for along time to come. Honestly, JPP is the first player since LT retired, that teams truly have to game plan around. On the giants that is. And we have had some studs come through, (stray-dog, osi, tuck). Go jints, so excited for draft day.....

Veteran

Re: My draft philosophy just makes sense

uh no it doesn't really make sense. you even said yourself that Detroit is finally getting out of the gutter... The Giants had a top 3 pick in 04 and have won 2 superbowls over the next 8 seasons... nice try but your philosophy makes no sense at all actually.

The reason a team picks in the top 5 every year is because of poor management.

By the same token, it's a negative feedback loop. If you keep drafting in the top 5, it means your team sucks and you're not improving year to year. One exception would be the Texans and it's taken them a decade and a few false starts.

In other words, he who drafts early each year has not succeeded because, by definition, you draft later if you do well.

8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Spizi,
    Obviously u don't understand what I'm saying, I'm saying the system keeps a team down because they can't keep there players because they choose to high each year. Along with a lot of other Dessie as well. Yes we did pick number 4 actually back in 04, what I'm saying is teams that continually pick top 10 each year gets in this funk, unless they pull it together a few years and break the cycle. There are a ton of reasons why teams pick 1st each year. I'm not saying that the reason I stated is the only reason. I am simply saying that you cannot afford to keep your talent if your picking top 5 every year, it's a revolving door. Does that make sense to you

So, really your problem is with free agency and the salary cap, not the draft...

I was actually thinking about some of this earlier today, wondering whether it might be better to draft later in rounds so that you have solid team players that you can hold on to rather than standouts year after year who you can't afford to keep.

I think you might be on to something.

Kid a,
    Yes. Finally. You said exactly what I was hoping to get across. If your good at drafting, like we are, you can draft late in rounds, and not tie up 5 Eli contracts on your team, I love having Eli, the best giant QB ever. But that cap hit is gonna haunt us for years. Although I feel he s worth every penny......

I can see QB being an exception to this rule, because it's such an important position that spending a large amount of money on a high-caliber player is justified.

With the new rookie payscale, it's no longer an excuse, if it even was one before.

Veteran

[quote user="bLuereverie"]With the new rookie payscale, it's no longer an excuse, if it even was one before.[/quote]

Right, exactly this...Back when you had to give Aaron Curry $60 million dollars it might have been a disadvantage in some circumstances, but not after the new CBA.