+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there a touch of bitterness in AJ's voice hmmm...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...chase/related/

Eight years ago, the Manning family made a power play aimed directly at the man who holds all of it in San Diego. The Chargers had the first pick in the 2004 draft, G.M. A.J. Smith wanted to take Eli Manning, and Manning family patriarch Archie made it clear that Eli wanted no part of the franchise.

Faced with the prospect of playing Elis older brother twice this year, with Peyton possibly joining either the Broncos or the Chiefs, Smith doesnt seem concerned.

At all.

I dont know, and I really dont care, Smith told Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego. I concentrate on the Chargers.

And then it appeared that Smith tried to make it better, until he decided to take a more subtle slap.

I do wish him the best in whatever the Manning family decides, Smith said. I dont know why you would ask me. And I dont know why anyone is asking Peyton. If you really want to know whats going on what trips hes making and where hes going to play call Archie.

Ouch.

Re: Is there a touch of bitterness in AJ's voice hmmm...

Something I've always wondered -- what was the state of the Chargers in 1998? Was there any indication that, if the Colts drafted Ryan Leaf, that Peyton would have refused to play for the Chargers?

[quote user="LT_was_good"]Something I've always wondered -- what was the state of the Chargers in 1998?* Was there any indication that, if the Colts drafted Ryan Leaf, that Peyton would have refused to play for the Chargers?
    [/quote]

Marty was there in 98 right? Archie liked Marty so no problem.

he's just insanely bitter that he got praise for the trade for only a few short lived seasons, and now, well now he looks like the village idiot.

there's two reasons why Eli isn't a Charger. 1-the way AJ handled the predraft meetings with Archie and Eli; the reported story goes that Archie initially had reservations about Eli being a Charger. He had scheduled a dinner meeting with AJ to go over the best scenario for both parties. AJ discussed openly to a SD newspaper about how Eli wouldn't want to play for SD even though at that time no decision was cemented. This infuriated Archie and you combine that with how Brees was being treated and the way the organization was run, the decision to refuse playing for SD was cemented.
    2-Part of the reason why Archie and the Mannings were hesitant in the first place was that if Eli was in the AFC, no situation could arise where both brothers could make it to the SB. This is why many believe Peyton will not sign with a NFC team...

AJ is butthurt that someone would refuse to play for his organization in large part due to how he runs that organization. Look at how he's handled several situations, including Brees, (how could a franchise QB be comfortable playing for him when their franchise QB at the time, Brees, was about to be kicked to the curb after being pretty dang successful) the Vincent Jackson hold out, how the treated Ladanian Tomilson, how they handled that coach I forgot his name but he was fired after going 14-2 and losing the 1rst round to a NE team...

Now that the Giants have won not one but two Super Bowls, and Eli being SB MVP of both, of course the guys going to take whatever cheap shot he can...I mean is it a surprise? Look at how he's run that organization, its full of cheap shots towards players and coaches, AJ wanted to go for the clean sweep and hit the trifecta and take a cheap shot at Dads as well...

LMFAO AJ will never get it, he might be the only GM(or owner forget which he is) in the league worse than Jerry Jones and that is saying something.

edit- looking back, with how AJ wanted nothing to do with Brees and how Eli didn't exactly start out a SB champion, whose to say he wouldn't have wanted to go in a different direction after 3 seasons with Eli?? All indications is he would have. And thats why the Giants are the better organization BY FAR, we didn't give up on Eli after some rough patches (well most of us we know there were a lot of fans who wanted to) and by the end of year 4, Eli was SB MVP...

Archie, Eli, and the Giants handled the situation PERFECTLY. I mean think about it, SD is the best place to play QB in the league, if a guy doesn't want to play there, there's got to be a very strong reason why, and that reason is AJ...of course we get to look back on that with a smile bc we are the winners, and SD, well they are the losers...but they should be used to it by now.

IA giantsfan. It was a good opportunity for him to present himself as a professional but AJ just can't seem to stop tripping over his own ego.

[quote user="swimeasy"]IA giantsfan. It was a good opportunity for him to present himself as a professional but AJ just can't seem to stop tripping over his own ego.
    [/quote]</P>

well said. And with that some still wonder why Eli didnt want to play there. </P>

Also I wuol dlike to mention how so many vilified the Manning family for thier involvement with Eli's choice. IMO....how many 22 years kids who are about to make a life changing decisiondont seek or use the advice of their Mom or Dad if thier family situation is lucky enough to be like that. </P>
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Can't wait for Peyton to go to the Broncos and lock up that division until AJ Smith loses his job (which should be in 2013).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="giantsfan420"]
    there's two reasons why Eli isn't a Charger. 1-the way AJ handled the predraft meetings with Archie and Eli; the reported story goes that Archie initially had reservations about Eli being a Charger. He had scheduled a dinner meeting with AJ to go over the best scenario for both parties. AJ discussed openly to a SD newspaper about how Eli wouldn't want to play for SD even though at that time no decision was cemented. This infuriated Archie and you combine that with how Brees was being treated and the way the organization was run, the decision to refuse playing for SD was cemented. [/quote]

It came out about 2 years ago that Peyton and Ryan Leaf became friends during the 1998 draft and talked on the phone weekly during the season, comparing how the Chargers do business with how the Colts do it... Considering these two were considered interchangeable at the draft and where their careers have gone, I'd say the case was made.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="GameTime"]

[quote user="swimeasy"]IA giantsfan. It was a good opportunity for him to present himself as a professional but AJ just can't seem to stop tripping over his own ego.*
    [/quote]</P>

well said. And with that some still wonder why Eli didnt want to play there. </P>

Also I wuol dlike to mention how so many vilified the Manning family for thier involvement with Eli's choice. IMO....how* many 22 years kids who are about to make a life changing decision*dont seek or use the advice of their Mom or Dad if thier family situation is lucky enough to be like that. </P>[/quote]

well said GT !!!

most kids "know everything" and Mom and Pops can't tell them anything.

AJ's is rightfully bitter but c'mon already, let it go

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

[quote user="Kruunch"]Can't wait for Peyton to go to the Broncos and lock up that division until AJ Smith loses his job (which should be in 2013).[/quote]

LOL

malicious.

I like it.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI