+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboys and Redskins fined for cheating

Re: Cowboys and Redskins fined for cheating

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts"]Well, not cheating in traditional terms, but trying to "cheat" the cap system.

This won't be any kind of scandal, just costly to both teams.
    [/quote]

I understand the implication. But the fact is, there's nothing different in what the Cowboys and Redskins did to restructure contracts in an uncapped year than what several other teams did to save money in the same year. If not, the NFL wouldn't have allowed the Cowboys to restructure Miles Austin's contract like they did (they have to approve before the contract takes effect).

The uncapped part of the paragraph above implies that ALL teams were allowed to do what we and our NFCE counterparts did. They just didn't, most likely because they couldn't. And now they're crying foul because they felt that the Cowboys and Redskins gained an unfair advantage. An advantage they gained, but how unfair it was shouldn't be a topic of debate. Both the Redskins and Cowboys played by the rules that year.

[/quote]

If they played by the rules, then why is NFL taking tens of millions of dollars from them and reallocating said funds to the other 30 teams?

Seems like a penalty for some kind of rules violation to me, no matter how you spin it.

Bench Player

As much as I like to see Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder punished as much as possible, this whole thing just seems unfair to the Cowboys and Redskins.

Goodell is just making up rules as he goes along to make the other owners happy. The rest of the league is just upset that they didn't think to do this.

The fact of the matter is that these contracts and extensions were approved by the league at the time and should remain approved under the new rules. They should be "Grandfathered" in.

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts"]Well, not cheating in traditional terms, but trying to "cheat" the cap system.

[/quote]

I understand the implication. But the fact is, there's nothing different in what the Cowboys and Redskins did to restructure contracts in an uncapped year than what several other teams did to save money in the same year. If not, the NFL wouldn't have allowed the Cowboys to restructure Miles Austin's contract like they did (they have to approve before the contract takes effect).

The uncapped part of the paragraph above implies that ALL teams were allowed to do what we and our NFCE counterparts did. They just didn't, most likely because they couldn't. And now they're crying foul because they felt that the Cowboys and Redskins gained an unfair advantage. An advantage they gained, but how unfair it was shouldn't be a topic of debate. Both the Redskins and Cowboys played by the rules that year.

[/quote] If they played by the rules, then why is NFL taking tens of millions of dollars from them and reallocating said funds to the other 30 teams? Seems like a penalty for some kind of rules violation to me, no matter how you spin it.[/quote]</P>

All there was wasa backroom agreement among the owners to not do what the Cowboys and Redskins did. Essentially, it was collusion among the owners to keep salaries down during the uncapped year. Reportedly, the NFL FO sent memo's informing clubs to not structure contracts that way, but there is no realbasis in any actual rule or law of the NFL for them to make that issuance. </P>

Still, as I previously stated, they still should have known better.</P>

I heard about this maneuver last year but I thought it was the eagles loading up last year. Anyone remember that??
    No one remembers who came in second.

Bench Player

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Hail"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Yeah. "Cheating"....

"According to the sources, the deductions are not termed as violations,
    but are part of a recent agreement the NFL and the Players Association
    made to raise the salary cap number while preserving benefit increases
    and the performance pool"

Also, the Cowboys could still have anywhere between 15-20 million in cap space this year, even with the cap hit.

Feel bad for the skins fans though... sort of.

[/quote]
    Dont feel bad for us.

Pukes fans.[/quote]

What I really meant was that I envy (ha!) the fact that you gave up two future number 1 picks, and a 2nd round pick for a guy who hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL because your front office (who are outstanding, btw) have good feeling about him. But hey, who needs draft picks when you have a lot of cap space...

[/quote]

I hate the Cowpukes.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]Yeah. "Cheating"....

Also, the Cowboys could still have anywhere between 15-20 million in cap space this year, even with the cap hit.

[/quote]All that is happening is your taking the cap hit for the Miles Austin contract.Its not really a penalty

[quote user="Hail"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Hail"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Yeah. "Cheating"....

[/quote]
    Dont feel bad for us.

Pukes fans.[/quote]

What I really meant was that I envy (ha!) the fact that you gave up two future number 1 picks, and a 2nd round pick for a guy who hasn't taken a single snap in the NFL because your front office (who are outstanding, btw) have good feeling about him. But hey, who needs draft picks when you have a lot of cap space...

[/quote]

I hate the Cowpukes.[/quote]

who gives a **** who you hate..ur posts are lame jerkoff

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts"]Well, not cheating in traditional terms, but trying to "cheat" the cap system.

[/quote]

[/quote]The NFL warned teams not to do what they did .Thats why other teams didnt do it. Every team in the NFL would of did what the Skins and Cowboys did if they thought they were going to get away with it.

Bench Player

[quote user="allentown PA"][quote user="Hail"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Hail"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Yeah. "Cheating"....

[/quote]
    Dont feel bad for us.

Pukes fans.[/quote]

[/quote]

who gives a **** who you hate..ur posts are lame jerkoff[/quote]No namecalling allowed

Lets keep it classy.

[quote user="Hail"][quote user="allentown PA"][quote user="Hail"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Hail"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Yeah. "Cheating"....

[/quote]
    Dont feel bad for us.

Pukes fans.[/quote]

[/quote]

who gives a **** who you hate..ur posts are lame jerkoff[/quote]No namecalling allowed

Lets keep it classy.[/quote]

not name calling its called...calling a spade a spade.

+ Reply to Thread