Re: Cowboys and Redskins fined for cheating

NFLPA Agreed to Cowboys/Redskins salary cap sanctions
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cap-sanctions/

Video from PFT: The Cowboys/Redskins salary-cap mess, from square one
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...om-square-one/

In the name of competitive balance, The NFL plays the Tyrant and the Bully
    http://deadspin.com/5892791/

and

NFL writers: 'Battle is just beginning between Cowboys and NFL'.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...nd-the-nfl.ece

Cowboys and Redskins statements on cap hit reveal an NFL ambush
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...ortBy%3Dlatest

In all fairness gmen46, you probably haven't been nearly as engrossed in this as I have since it broke yesterday.

No aspect of this makes any sense.

From the retroactive punishment for not breaking any rules, to the fact that the guy who heads the competition committee that held the sanctions is none other than John Mara, a divisional rival of both the Cowboys and Redskins.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]In all fairness gmen46, you probably haven't been nearly as engrossed in this as I have since it broke yesterday.

From the retroactive punishment for not breaking any rules, to the fact that the guy who heads the competition committee that held the sanctions is none other than John Mara, a divisional rival of both the Cowboys and Redskins.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the links. And I defer at this point to your understandable vested interest in this issue, since it effects your team and not mine.

But, you have to admit, it goes against everything that is holy--and unholy--to believe either Jones or Snyder, let alone both, will allow themselves to be "Deliverence-d" into losing tens of millions of dollars if there is in fact no regulatory justification, yeah?

(Suuuu-eeeeeee!!!)

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]In all fairness gmen46, you probably haven't been nearly as engrossed in this as I have since it broke yesterday.

[/quote]

Thanks for the links. And I defer at this point to your understandable vested interest in this issue, since it effects your team and not mine.

But, you have to admit, it goes against everything that is holy--and unholy--to believe either Jones or Snyder, let alone both, will allow themselves to be "Deliverence-d" into losing tens of millions of dollars if there is in fact no regulatory justification, yeah?

(Suuuu-eeeeeee!!!)[/quote]

It's a very odd situation. I think Snyder will lead the way in any action taken, but right now my guess is they're trying to figure out how to attack the situation.

I've stated before that I personally just want answers. The 10 million for us is really not an enormous deficit. It's mostly the principal of the cap removals.They're completely unjust and based on absolutely nothing that's legally binding.

If the NFL can do this, what else can they do and how long will it be before it affects your team as well?

No matter what 30 teams in the NFL decided to follow what the NFL asked and 2 didnt. No one is being punished the teams are just taking the cap hits they rightfully were supposed to take for the contracts they gave out.

I have less of a problem with what the COwboys did.The Redskins were blatantly trying to get out of the bad contracts they gave

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]No matter what 30 teams in the NFL decided to follow what the NFL asked and 2 didnt. No one is being punished the teams are just taking the cap hits they rightfully were supposed to take for the contracts they gave out.[/quote]

I can see this argument. But the fact is, the NFL had no right to ask that teams limit spending in an uncapped year. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was illegal to do so.

And I'm not so certain that it was only the Cowboys and Redskins that didn't follow suit with the gentleman's agreement amongst owners, but they were the only ones that were really penalized.

Now don't get too caught up on 'gentleman's agreement' amongst owners as a respectable idea. The one's that filed suit were colluding. So really, the only ones that weren't doing something that could be deemed as illegal were the two organizations that are currently being punished-- Dallas and Washington. Ironic isn't it?

[quote user="gmen46"] Why is it so hard (for me) to believe this? 1) Because what you describe has not been in any media explanation that I have seen. If you have a direct link or reference, I'd love to read it. 2) Because what you describe means that Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder--two of the LAST NFL owners I believe would just roll over and take it up the *** from the NFL--are, in fact, allowing tens of millions of dollars to be taken from them, for NO REASON at all, according to you and ntegrase. I invert your question back to you. Why is it NOT hard for you and ntegrase to believe this nonsense?[/quote]</P>

All the stuff I've said has been in every report on the matter. </P>

The reason why Jones and Snyder haven't done anything is because about the only recourse they'd have is to start an anti-trust suit. They'd spend way more than they'd ever get in a settlement.</P>

And no money is being taken from them, they're just getting deducted cap space and the total value of that space is distributed to all but 5 or 6 teams.</P>

The owners are just pissy that the Cowboys and Redskins didn't abide by their agreement and are now seeking retribution. </P>

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]No matter what 30 teams in the NFL decided to follow what the NFL asked and 2 didnt. No one is being punished the teams are just taking the cap hits they rightfully were supposed to take for the contracts they gave out.[/quote]

I can see this argument. But the fact is, the NFL had no right to ask that teams limit spending in an uncapped year. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was illegal to do so.

And I'm not so certain that it was only the Cowboys and Redskins that didn't follow suit with the gentleman's agreement amongst owners, but they were the only ones that were really penalized.

Now don't get too caught up on 'gentleman's agreement' amongst owners as a respectable idea. The one's* that filed suit were colluding. So really, the only ones that weren't doing something that could be deemed as illegal were the two organizations that are currently being punished-- Dallas and Washington. Ironic isn't it?
    [/quote]Not limit spending they told them not to dump salary because there would be consequences in the new CBA for doing it and there was. They converted salary into bonus's that didnt prorate over the contract length.

[quote user="Drez"]

[quote user="gmen46"] Why is it so hard (for me) to believe this? 1) Because what you describe has not been in any media explanation that I have seen. If you have a direct link or reference, I'd love to read it. 2) Because what you describe means that Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder--two of the LAST NFL owners I believe would just roll over and take it up the *** from the NFL--are, in fact, allowing tens of millions of dollars to be taken from them, for NO REASON at all, according to you and ntegrase. I invert your question back to you. Why is it NOT hard for you and ntegrase to believe this nonsense?[/quote]</P>

All the stuff I've said has been in every report on the matter. </P>

The reason why Jones and Snyder haven't done anything is because about the only recourse they'd have is to start an anti-trust suit. They'd spend way more than they'd ever get in a settlement.</P>

And no money is being taken from them, they're just getting deducted cap space and the total value of that space is distributed to all but 5 or 6 teams.</P>

The owners are just pissy that the Cowboys and Redskins didn't abide by their agreement and are now seeking retribution. </P>[/quote]Its cap space they would of got charged with anyway. They are trying to act above the rest of the teams in the NFL. Skins and Boys fans dont seem to understand if the teams didnt agree to this there would of been total anarchy. The cap would of been meaningless

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]No matter what 30 teams in the NFL decided to follow what the NFL asked and 2 didnt. No one is being punished the teams are just taking the cap hits they rightfully were supposed to take for the contracts they gave out.[/quote]

Now don't get too caught up on 'gentleman's agreement' amongst owners as a respectable idea. The one's that filed suit were colluding. So really, the only ones that weren't doing something that could be deemed as illegal were the two organizations that are currently being punished-- Dallas and Washington. Ironic isn't it?
    [/quote]Not limit spending they told them not to dump salary because there would be consequences in the new CBA for doing it and there was. They converted salary into bonus's that didnt prorate over the contract length.[/quote]

That does not matter. The NFL didn't have cap rules for that year. I understand the difference between unlimited spending and dumping salaries, but it still does not matter. The NFL didn't have any power what so ever on how teams were allowed to spend their money during that season.

The NFL didn't have the power to punish them then, and certainly doesn't have the power to punish them now. They did, however, strong arm the NFLPA into cooperating in an unjustified sanction against the two teams.

Simply put, the Cowboys and Redskins are being punished for something that happened in 2010 for rules that didn't exist until about half a week ago. Furthermore, they're being retroactively punished for something the NFL approved in the first place.

Tell me how that makes sense...?