+ Reply to Thread

JUSTIN TUCK SAYS "FLASHY" FREE AGENT MOVES NOT GIANTS' WAY

JUSTIN TUCK SAYS "FLASHY" FREE AGENT MOVES NOT GIANTS' WAY

"Justin Tuck knows the deal; with so many unsigned players, the extended Super
    Bowl run and considerable salary cap restrictions, the Giants probably will not
    be making a ton of headlines this time of year.

“A lot of people don’t try to think about it until the end of the year, but
    I’ve been around long enough to understand both sides of the game,’’ Tuck said
    Tuesday morning on WFAN. “I kind of knew it would be kind of hectic going into
    this, especially where the cap is this year. I think [general manager] Jerry
    Reese has done some things to hopefully put us in position to at least make a
    play on some guys. We feel very confident, as we always do. Jerry and his staff
    will help us put together a team that’s going to win football games, and that’s
    all you can ask for.’’

The Giants a year ago didn’t exactly break down the doors once NFL free
    agency began, re-signing some of their own players, Ahmad Bradshaw and Kevin
    Boothe, and going outside the organization with the signings of punter Steve
    Weatherford and center David Baas. The Giants made bigger news with players they
    did not re-sign, Steve Smith and Kevin Boss, and took searing heat for seemingly
    not holding serve as the Eagles signed what seemed to be a collection of
    unbeatable talent.

Tucks recalls that as well.

“We don’t really go for all the flashy moves, we go for the moves that we
    think will put us in position to win football games,’’ he said. “I know a lot of
    people got on Jerry for that but you never heard anybody in this locker room,
    anybody around the Giants staff say ‘We should have done more.’ We feel very
    confident with who we have.’’

The free agency signing period kicks off Tuesday at 4 p.m. and the Giants
    have 19 of their own unrestricted free agents, with receiver Mario Manningham
    the player most likely to leave. The Giants see Manningham as a talented No. 3
    receiver, and Manningham sees himself at a starter and expects to attract
    interest from teams who view him as he does.

“It is an exciting time but also it’s a nervous time too,’’ Tuck said. “We
    got a few guys who will test the free agency market and as a teammate, I’ve been
    with Mario his entire career, been with some of those other guys their entire
    careers, I hope we can find a way to get him back but you understand both sides
    of it.

"You understand the business side of it too, he’s coming off a pretty good
    year and obviously a memorable Super Bowl, so he’s hot right now. You just want
    what’s best for him in that situation. I could easily be selfish right here and
    go ‘He needs to come back, we can win another one.’ At the end of the day you
    just want what’s best for him and his family.’’

Tuck also said he’s recovering from offseason shoulder surgery to fix a
    problem that severely limited him this past season.

“My shoulder feels a lot better than it did during the season, I’ll say that
    much,’’ Tuck said. “Went down to Dr. [James] Andrews [in Birmingham, Ala.] and
    he cleaned it out for me, I’m pretty much back to being full strength.’’

Tuck estimated he played at about 60 percent efficiency as a result of the
    shoulder injury. He said he played a few games wearing a protective harness.

“But I didn’t in others just because of the fact I felt the harness really,
    the limited mobility I did have it limited that,’’ he said."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: JUSTIN TUCK SAYS "FLASHY" FREE AGENT MOVES NOT GIANTS' WAY

I think he means 'sexy moves'