+ Reply to Thread

Nice stat for our receivers

Eli leads the league with 13 completions of 40 or more yards. Cruz has 6 and Nicks has 4...before Nicks, Manningham and Cruz we didn't have that big play offense, and it's exciting to see that ability.

Re: Nice stat for our receivers

Just as a reference point, Eli only had 7 all of last year. And 13 is already a career high..(12 in 2009)

Veteran

This goes to show why Eli's completion percentage will never be with the so-called "elite." Brees and Rodgers both run a lot of curls and hook plays that get the receivers in open space for low risk-high reward throws. Not to say these two don't take their shots, they definitely do, but I don't see anyone in this league throwing the ball more downfield than Eli. Gilbride also rarely ever does quick passes, and for the most part they're screens or those weird bullets to Nicks when Eli sees 1-on-1 coverage on the outside with a cushion.

I think this is also why we sometimes have trouble moving the ball downfield. We tend to rack up a bunch of yards in a hurry, instead of methodically passing downfield like GB and NO do. Patriots as well, but that's also due to their personal and their lack of any vertical threats.

[quote user="Itlan"] but I don't see anyone in this league throwing the ball more downfield than Eli. [/quote]

You dont watch enough football then, excluding last week.