+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Piggy-back to NYG4life's thread...SS vs. MM scenarios

NYG4life has a thread asking who wants SS back. He is in support of bringing him back, as am I and 20 others currently. The nays are something like 58, which is mind-blowing to me.

What is with the hate? The guy did his job exceptional well, temporarily held some Giants WR records, helped us win a SB in his rookie year, and did it all professionally.

Then he suffers a career ending injury and signs with are arch-rivals who offer him 3 or 4 times the guaranteed money than the Giants do and now most people hate him. BUT IT'S A BUSINESS, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT????

Now, MM is looking for a # 2 WR contract which we can't afford to give him. Couldn't the SS naysayers ask, "MM, where's your loyalty? Come back to the NYG at # 3 WR money otherwise we're going to hate you forever." But that's not the attitude on the boards. The attitude has been accepting that he's gone and thanks for the memories.

If the Eagles were to sign MM at # 2 WR money which we won't give him anyway, would you hate MM like you do SS? I doubt it, and why? Because it's our FO taking the initiative to say "no thanks" instead of the player saying "no thanks" to our offer.

It always feels better to be the one doing the breaking up. Enough with the SS hate already. SS doesn't deserve to be crapped on.

Re: Piggy-back to NYG4life's thread...SS vs. MM scenarios

I said No. Why does that mean I hate Smith?

Cause he has been injured for the second straight season and I feel we don't need him?

Also if it's a "career ending" injury, what would be the point of bringing him back? To hurt him even more?

Finally I would hope this odd Steve smith defending threads, won't become the same as Tiki threads. I would actually like to enjoy my memories of Smith when he was a Giant.
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

[quote user="GmenFan1980"]I said No. Why does that mean I hate Smith?

Cause he has been injured for the second straight season and I feel we don't need him?

Also if it's a "career ending" injury, what would be the point of bringing him back? To hurt him even more?

Finally I would hope this odd Steve smith defending threads, won't become the same as Tiki threads. I would actually like to enjoy my memories of Smith when he was a Giant.[/quote]
    I wasn't referring to simple "no's" which are fair, but just those that won't "forgive" him for going to the Eagles pretty much out of desperation.

He was coming off of that injury last year, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's done for good. Plus, playing in a new system where he was going to automatically be the # 3 WR anyway didn't help him either.

This argument has been beaten to death. Not only did steve smith call the gm and owner liars, but he is a slot receiver. We already have two slot receivers on the roster in Cruz and JJ, so why would we pick him up?

[quote user="ShakeNBake"]This argument has been beaten to death. Not only did steve smith call the gm and owner liars, but he is a slot receiver. We already have two slot receivers on the roster in Cruz and JJ, so why would we pick him up?
    [/quote]
    Because he was a great receiver for the Giants who could still have a lot of game left in him, knows our system, and would be inexpensive.

I didn't know that he called JR a liar, but that's starting to worry me more about JR than Smith. I like JR, but did you ever think that it's possible that JR has been making promises that he hasn't kept? Osi signed an affidavit calling JR a liar and I believe that Shockey called him a liar as well. Not that I'd ever call Shockey as a character witness against someone, but that's 3 players calling the same guy a liar.

And I don't care if JR is a liar or not. If Smith is okay health wise, then I'd take him back on the cheap. Get the non-slot WR from somewhere else (draft or FA). if Nicks or Cruz were to get injured, then SS can hopefully fill in.

We're supposed to get better, not trot out garbage from 2 years ago.

Here are the reasons why he is not really like around here anymore:
    -All summer before leaving he was claiming he loved the Giants and it was not about the money.
    After claiming it wasn't about the money, he left because of it. Then issued a statement saying they wanted him more because they offered him more.

-Not believing our doctors who clearly had his longterm health/future in mind.

-Not giving The Giants a chance to counter the
    offer.

-Clowning the Eagles on his FB page with the empty trophy case pic and statement about them never winning a SB. Only to join them making him a hypocrite.

-He joined the ****ing Smeaguls of all teams!!!!

-Turning down a lucrative offer made by The Giants pre-injury, denying they ever made the offer virtually calling Mara and Reese liars (I would believe Reese and Mara anyday before that weasel).

-Saying that he hated The NYGs.

[quote user="JJC7301"][quote user="ShakeNBake"]This argument has been beaten to death. Not only did steve smith call the gm and owner liars, but he is a slot receiver. We already have two slot receivers on the roster in Cruz and JJ, so why would we pick him up?
    [/quote]
    Because he was a great receiver for the Giants who could still have a lot of game left in him, knows our system, and would be inexpensive.

I didn't know that he called JR a liar, but that's starting to worry me more about JR than Smith. I like JR, but did you ever think that it's possible that JR has been making promises that he hasn't kept? Osi signed an affidavit calling JR a liar and I believe that Shockey called him a liar as well. Not that I'd ever call Shockey as a character witness against someone, but that's 3 players calling the same guy a liar.

And I don't care if JR is a liar or not. If Smith is okay health wise, then I'd take him back on the cheap. Get the non-slot WR from somewhere else (draft or FA). if Nicks or Cruz were to get injured, then SS can hopefully fill in.[/quote]

It could happen I just don't see it happening nor do I want it to because of all the things he has going against him now. Slot receiver isn't a need on this team, he has a bad relationship with the F.O., and he is coming off a knee injury.

[quote user="NWKEffectElement"]Here are the reasons why he is not really like around here anymore:
    -All summer before leaving he was claiming he loved the Giants and it was not about the money.
    After claiming it wasn't about the money, he left because of it. Then issued a statement saying they wanted him more because they offered him more.

-Not believing our doctors who clearly had his longterm health/future in mind.

-Not giving The Giants a chance to counter the
    offer.

-Clowning the Eagles on his FB page with the empty trophy case pic and statement about them never winning a SB. Only to join them making him a hypocrite.

-He joined the ****ing Smeaguls of all teams!!!!

-Turning down a lucrative offer made by The Giants pre-injury, denying they ever made the offer virtually calling Mara and Reese liars (I would believe Reese and Mara anyday before that weasel).

-Saying that he hated The NYGs.[/quote]

he never said he hated the NYG, and he never called anyone a liar. he was asked about the contract that was speculated to have been offered to him, and he merely said "thats news to me, had I gotten that offer I would have signed it." maybe his agent didnt tell him about it wanting to drive up the price more, who knows. but thats not calling him a liar.

every other point is unfortunately valid. damn steve smith its looking like he actually might not come back bc its been said we have no interest in him.

and this "he's strictly a slot wr" is nonsense. he was our #1 and when he lined up in our base package with nicks, TEAMS DOUBLE TEAMED SMITH. i repeat that so damn often how does it not register.

he COULD play the slot, and he often moved into the slot. but he also played out wide as well and was very effective. thats why i dont get the giants wouldnt be interested in him. he could be our 3 behind cruz and nicks, and u could rotate smith and cruz any which way.

just makes too damn much sense, he'd be cheap as **** too. i guess we'll find out soon, apparently he took a physical for STL