+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bench Player

Jerry Reese won us a championship by ...

I am starting a new thread on what giants fans believe is the most important thing the FO did to win our 4th championship.

I personally believe that Jerry is seeing where the game is shifting from rules changes, speed of the game, etc. And, he is making moves to adjust to where the game is going. The game has now become much more about passing and he drafted hakeem nicks and manningham, for that reason. Victor Cruz was just a lucky break for the giants. The story I love best is that we got cruz because no team was willing to pay his travel expenses, not even the giants. he just came for a tryout and made the team. In 2008, he went to a running back by committee changing the way we look at the RB position because of its success. Again after losing tiki barber, I think Jerry knew that no single back was going to tiki's place. But to have earth, wind and fire, made it more difficult for teams to game plan against. And, even though ward was lost during the season, we were able to keep pace because it was no longer a single back team.

Re: Jerry Reese won us a championship by ...

we won this last SB bc Reese and EA drafted Eli, Reese drafted Nicks, signed Cruz, and got Rolle and Canty to play along with our oober talented DL.

Eli
    Nicks/Cruz
    DL
    Rolle/Phillips/Webster

List from most important starting with Eli

I love Reese but more credit goes to Accorsi. He was after all the guy who got Eli Manning.

Veteran

Drafting jpp our best defensive player was pretty major. While tuck is our leader jpp had more tackles then tuck or osi has ever had in a year and more sacks as well- jpps game against Dallas 10 tackles 2 sacks 1 safety and a blocked fg to
    Win the game was insane.

But no team wins without 53
    Signing weatherford
    Bringing back chase
    Drafting j will
    Signing Ballard as a Udfa
    Binging Thomas on for sts
    Drafting ab in 7th rnd
    Drafting linval to replace cofield

And many more moves- and of course the awesome coaching o coughlin and his assistants

I think injuries and free agency losses won this championship. It forced the team to come together.

Giants had a real good Giants team but injuries took over. Reese helped the Giants to win a Championships by going the Giants depth. When some player got hurt,taken out by injury or is no longer with the team, a player like Cruz comes out.

[quote user="remarcs"]The game has now become much more about passing and he drafted hakeem nicks and manningham, for that reason.[/quote]

No, I'd say he drafted Nicks as a direct result of Plax's shooting himself and derailing the 2008 team (same reason we have Barden, who is a "Plax" type). And Manningham because he knew Toomer was on his last treads (and remember how quickly Toomer was put out to pasture during the 2008 season).

[quote user="remarcs"]In 2008, he went to a running back by committee changing the way we look at the RB position because of its success.[/quote]

Teams had already been doing that for years, including the Giants. Do you remember "Thunder and Lightning"?

8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="remarcs"]I am starting a new thread on what giants fans believe is the most important thing the FO did to win our 4th championship.

I personally believe that Jerry is seeing where the game is shifting from rules changes, speed of the game, etc. And, he is making moves to adjust to where the game is going. The game has now become much more about passing and he drafted hakeem nicks and manningham, for that reason. Victor Cruz was just a lucky break for the giants. The story I love best is that we got cruz because no team was willing to pay his travel expenses, not even the giants. he just came for a tryout and made the team. In 2008, he went to a running back by committee changing the way we look at the RB position because of its success. Again after losing tiki barber, I think Jerry knew that no single back was going to tiki's place. But to have earth, wind and fire, made it more difficult for teams to game plan against. And, even though ward was lost during the season, we were able to keep pace because it was no longer a single back team.[/quote]

The NYFG won the 2011 championship by coming together when the season was on the line & playing "all in" team football. That's a credit to the coaches & players along with the entire organization.

They had the game plan necessary to stay close & the players who made the key critical plays to win the game came through for them @ the right time. In this league all 32 teams have the talent to win it all if their team comes together & refuses to lose.

All-Pro

[quote user="giantsfan420"]we won this last SB bc Reese and EA drafted Eli, Reese drafted Nicks, signed Cruz, and got Rolle and Canty to play along with our oober talented DL. Eli Nicks/Cruz DL Rolle/Phillips/Webster List from most important starting with Eli[/quote]

Ditto on this. Agree 100%.

Also they are great Talent Evaluators. No one in the NFL was willling to take a chance on Cruz. We lose Toomer and Plax and we are all looking at tons of FAs with no one on the roster. The FO doesnt make the big slash in FA and decide to go with they young guys. We all doubt the choice and then Nicks, MM and SS12 emerge We lose SS12 to FA and again we think FA. Cruz makes us forget him. JPP at that high a Draft Choice as a project?? dont think many would of took that chance. Nicks. When there were other more note worthy guys out there like crabtree who had huge sucess in College. the whole TE situation. We lose Shockey and we dont know where to turn. They get a no name in BOSS who makes the HUGE Catch in SB and in alot of the prior games to help us win that YR. We lose him and now we are thinking FA market and they bring in Ballard and Paseco and to small degree Beckum. All NO NAMEs and look what they acomplished for us to help us win this SB. Way back when we lose Tiki to retirement we again thought FA. NOPE.. Ward, BJ and AB all drafted by our talented scouts.. Look where that takes us.

There are others still on the roster that they took chances on they have not Panned out just yet but might. Marvin Austin has not played football in over 2yrs he could be another JPP. Mark Herzlich with the Cancer issue. No one in NFL wanted to take a chance and we may have another diamond in rough. Even with Chad Jones. Most teams even with how terrible the situation was with his Crash would prob of cut ties by now cause the NFL is a cut throat biz. We will work with him and may in the end be rewarded for our patience.

Then you have all the Roll players we get. Tolly comes in during 2SBs and we dont notice the Starter is out. cause he is getting sacks. Bringing Chase off the Couch durning this SB run helpedus win it. NO one else was willing to try him out. CANTY was not huge for Dallas. He was not for us either for a while and is still prob not worth his contract but he panned out bigtime this year achoring the middle with key tackles, sacks, balls knocked down etc.

We are dealing with alot of very SMART people in our FO office and have for a long long time.

Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

I think the game is moving to very athletic mobile quarterbacks. If the Cam Newton type of QB wins a super bowl....you will see the typical pocket passing QB fade away.