+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Manningham Value Compared to Eddie Royal

Scout (Fox Sports) reports Royal's 3-year deal with Chargers at $13.5M with $6M guaranteed. Royal has more value as a return man than MM, but I have to think Mario commands more than Royal as a receiver.

Does anybody here believe they have a feel for what Mario is worth to JR? Obviously, we'll know pretty soon, but I was surprised at Royal's getting better than $4M per year and if there is any way to make a comparison.

Re: Manningham Value Compared to Eddie Royal

Hard to say without knowing the team's exact cap situation. They seemed to have backed out of FA for the time being so perhaps they're waiting to see what happens with him before moving on? Either that or they're broke.
    Royal is a terrific talent when used correctly. His last couple of years have been lost to injury and having an inept quarterback throwing away from him. Out of the slot he can be a dangerous weapon.
    That said, I'm still surprised at the size of his deal.

I hope Mario receives a decent contract from someone.

Hard to say, but I think the royal contract should in the range MM would get, it may not be what he wants but it should be about what he gets.

Starter

Don't know, but WR's are getting very expensive. In addition to Eddie Royal (who had 155 yards and 1 TD last year) at $4.5, you have Garcon at over $8 mm, and D Jax at over $10 mm per year.

Manningham was 85th in the league in receiving yards last year (523), but obviously there are only so many balls to go around. Eddie Royal was 215th (6 guys per NFL team had more yards than him!).

I don't understand the salaries at all. If Royal is worth $4.5 million I'd think MM would be worth more, but it all seems crazy to me.

[quote user="sg92"]Don't know, but WR's are getting very expensive. In addition to Eddie Royal (who had 155 yards and 1 TD last year) at $4.5, you have Garcon at over $8 mm, and D Jax at over $10 mm per year. Manningham was 85th in the league in receiving yards last year (523), but obviously there are only so many balls to go around. Eddie Royal was 215th (6 guys per NFL team had more yards than him!). I don't understand the salaries at all. If Royal is worth $4.5 million I'd think MM would be worth more, but it all seems crazy to me.[/quote]

Mario should have taken a 4.5 deal from NY and stayed with the Giants.

D Jack got way overpaid for a player who quit on his team and Royal's deal is fair.

I don't see a lot of teams beating down the door to talk to Mario, and the ones that are he is taking a big step backwards as far as team success and quality qb, that is going to have a lot to do with his future in the long term.

Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

First rule of Free Agency .... you're over paying.

MM and Royal are both #2s but for different reasons. Royal is a consistant possession receiver while MM is more of a play maker (but less consistant).

I'd expect MM to get more then Royal though.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Starter

I don't see how Royal's deal is "fair". He had 155 yards last year, and 1 TD! And it's not like he was hurt half the season -- he was healthy. Yes, he had Orton and Tebow throwing to him, but he was 6th (100 yards behind that juggernaut Daniel Fells) on the Broncos in receiving yards!!!!!

I'll grant that he returns kicks, but his kickoff return average was 5th on the team, and he returned only 12 punts all season (2nd best avg out of 3 returners).

Perhaps the Chargers see something in Royal, but he certainly did not differentiate himself within his own team last year.

WR salaries are blowing me away. Royal is the 6th best receiver on a mediocre team and gets signed for $4.5 million. Ray Rice is one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL and gets franchise tendered (avg of top 5 at the position) for $7.4 million. Makes no sense to me.....

[quote user="sg92"]I don't see how Royal's deal is "fair". He had 155 yards last year, and 1 TD! And it's not like he was hurt half the season -- he was healthy. Yes, he had Orton and Tebow throwing to him, but he was 6th (100 yards behind that juggernaut Daniel Fells) on the Broncos in receiving yards!!!!!

I'll grant that he returns kicks, but his kickoff return average was 5th on the team, and he returned only 12 punts all season (2nd best avg out of 3 returners).

Perhaps the Chargers see something in Royal, but he certainly did not differentiate himself within his own team last year.

WR salaries are blowing me away. Royal is the 6th best receiver on a mediocre team and gets signed for $4.5 million. Ray Rice is one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL and gets franchise tendered (avg of top 5 at the position) for $7.4 million. Makes no sense to me.....[/quote]
    The Broncos didn't have a passing offense last season - they had a Tebow offense. Ignore the stats because they're not representative of a receiver's talent.
    Look to Royal's rookie year to get an understanding of what teams see in him. When used correctly he can be very effective.

All-Pro

[quote user="Kruunch"]First rule of Free Agency .... you're over paying[/quote]

2nd rule of FA ... you're overpaying

3rd rule of FA ... don't talk about red jacket

Manningham is a legit playmaker and while he only had 500 yards in a season where he was banged up and playing behind Nicks and Cruz ... he did shine in the postseason

some team will open the wallet up too much for us to compete

The Washington GM is the worst. Look at their FA signing track record over the last 5 years. Giving Royal three-year, $13.5 million contract is another stupid desperation to win move. Great for the Giants though...use up your cap space for WR's who had 155 yards last year:-)