+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GIANTS' FANS TRY TO GRAB KEYS FROM JERRY REESE...AGAIN

GIANTS' FANS TRY TO GRAB KEYS FROM JERRY REESE...AGAIN

"A few days into the 2012 free agency period and insanity has already reared
    its familiar mug. Apparently, not many remember what transpired last year as far
    as, oh, a quiet free agency period leading to, hey—a Super Bowl. Peering over
    the fence to what the other 31 teams are doing has become the thing to do.
    Again.

New York Giants players hold up signs after defeating the
    New England Patriots 21-17 to win Super Bowl XLVI February 5, 2012, in
    Indianapolis. (UPI Photo/Brian Kersey)

Some schizophrenic fans that swore off the Steve
    Smith
    bandwagon now think he should replace Victor Cruz in the slot. They’re
    also feeling as if Plaxico
    Burress
    is the player that undressed Al Harris in the frozen 2008 NFC
    Championship Game. They’re hollering for every former New York
    Giant player that’s now a free agent to be brought back in to wear blue. How is
    that realistic or Reese-like? It’s not.

Getting most of the Giants players that contribute to the long-range plans to
    stay in their New York
    uniform appears to be the goal. Some injuries have created areas of concern, but
    putting the franchise in debt for the future is never the answer. Throwing the
    cap room at one or two non-fit players will never make sense in East
    Rutherford.

For a quick lesson on the caveats of free agency and the draft, glance down
    I-95 to Big Blue division rivals, the Washington Redskins— getting penalized ($36 million)
    recently for suspect manipulation of the 2010 uncapped year with
    guaranteed/bonus monies. That’s what happens when teams throw cash around in
    free agency. There are only so many times it can be said: “There’s no trophy for
    winning in the off-season” (or for having a cool nickname like “Dream
    Team”).

The Giants are one of few teams that work the off-season in an evidence-based
    manner. They go with simple combinations of need and scouting who is best as far
    as fit for the schemes the team plays. Reaching for players because their
    fantasy numbers were the highest ranked is not what will happen. The
    organization doesn’t look at what worked the prior regular season for another
    playoff team and try to emulate that. It is what is: Giants Football.
    It’s rare they bring someone in that isn’t a workable fit and try to make them
    into a New York
    product. There’s usually some strength that’s Giants-like.

While there’s nothing wrong with being optimistic or even passionate about
    some free agents and draft prospects, it’s another to claim free agency failure
    because the front office didn’t follow your particular line of armchair
    scouting."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' FANS TRY TO GRAB KEYS FROM JERRY REESE...AGAIN

This should spark an intertesting debate.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

the thing is you cant win a sb every year that way. eventually it catches up with you. this whole oline needs to be revamped and the defense needs some upgrades.

that said reese knows best. i dont need any flashy fa signings but a few quality guys at the right price would be nice.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails."
    - William Arthur Ward -

Haha, there have certainly been some bonkers suggestions on here.
    Look at the ridiculous argument going on in the Steve Smith thread.

[quote user="Harooni"]the thing is you cant win a sb every year that way. eventually it catches up with you. this whole oline needs to be revamped and the defense needs some upgrades.

that said reese knows best. i dont need any flashy fa signings but a few quality guys at the right price would be nice.
    [/quote]
    The defense needs upgrades? You want to rip a chunk out of it and replace it with a mediocre Redskin.

I don't understand why fans want old injured retreaded players.

Ok lets get Steve Smith to come play in the slot. Move Cruz from the spot he was dominant for an old injured player who's a sellout to boot.

Cruz in his second year as a starter...could see a "sophmore" slump. He's got a lot of film out there now. Teams are going to play him differently. I think its a bad move.

And Burress.

Its funny how when Burress was here he was apparently making Eli look good. But when he was with the Jets Sanchez was making him look bad. I don't really get it. Can Sanchez not throw a jump ball?

Burress might hit his stride and be a monster but we need to leave the past in the past.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

[quote user="Harooni"]the thing is you cant win a sb every year that way. eventually it catches up with you. this whole oline needs to be revamped and the defense needs some upgrades.

[/quote]

I think we may have waited too long to start revamping the OLine hoping against the odds that the original group could remain intact. Interestingly enough, we did have the replacements on board with Koets, Boothe, and Beatty. Their success, now minus Koets, seems to be on the upswing.

As for winning a Super Bowl "every year" what are you smoking my esteemed friend? []

I'm happy someone put it on print. When he steps down, we will be wishing for another JR like we did for Young.

[quote user="NWKEffectElement"]I'm happy someone put it on print. When he steps down, we will be wishing for another JR like we did for Young.[/quote]

I'd like to think that both TC and his staff and Reese and his staff would get the benefit of the doubt now that we've won two Super Bowls in four years. It's just not to be in this media market and with some in this fanbase.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]This should spark an intertesting debate.
    [/quote]

After last year I'm amazed JR isn't getting at least a one year reprieve from the armchair GMs.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)