+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marty Glickman, WNEW: "It's caught by Bobby Duhon, he fumbles!"

Newsman Jim Donnelly, a legendary New York radio news voice passed away Saturday night. In the recounting of his story is an interesting tidbit involving his work at Giant flagship station at the time, WNEW-AM.

Here's how it goes, per then-colleague Andy Fisher::

"After the Giantsí first Monday-night football game, a messy game with
    Dallas in which there were ten turnovers, Jim encouraged me to create a
    montage of Marty Glickmanís play-by-plays of all those miscues. It was
    hilarious."

Here's the audio. It was from Monday, Oct. 11, 1971. This is from the article source at the WNEW tribute site.

Re: Marty Glickman, WNEW: "It's caught by Bobby Duhon, he fumbles!"

I grew up way back when the home team was blacked out. i used to sit in my room with the radio on listening to Marty call the play by play... a classic line "handoff to Duhon up the middle for a couple of 2,3,4...6 yrds on the play". Those were the days. Fond memories indeed. Too bad later in his career he became the Jets play by play guy.

Bench Player

I remember at rhe end of his career Glickman was the trainer of jocks who wanted to turn announcer. He would do one tv game a year. He did a horrible Jets game and said, "Gee, if this was on radio, I could make it sound really exciting."

And don't forget he was a world class athlete. He made the 1936 U.S. 400 relay team but was held out because of the anti-semitism of Avery Brundage, chair of the USOC. Probably would have won a gold medal.

At Syracuse, he played football and basketball, and was an All American on the gridiron. He played some pro ball in both.

Thanks for that, great to hear that voice again. I grew up in New Jersey and we listened to Marty through the '70s; great style, great voice, great memories--of him, not so much the team, which was often pretty lousy those years...

hearing that voice brought back so many memories and conjured up all kinds of emotions

thank you for that

What a great audio!! That really brought back memories. My dad and I also used to listen to the games every Sunday back then when all the home games were blacked out. Even when they were on the road and on TV, we'd mute the sound on the TV and listen to Marty Glickman's play by play. "He moves forward and boots that ball.. a high.. twisting.. spiral.... Or on a fumble. "Fumble, loose ball... and its recovered by,,, THE GIANTS!!!!"

Also very sorry to hear about Jim Donnelly, a great news anchor. Every morning before school or work we'd have the radio on listening to CBS News radio 88 AM. DOnnely and Lew Adler were the morning anchors. Adler went on to become the station director. Enjoyed listening to them every morning

[quote user="Bluesmash"]I remember at rhe end of his career Glickman was the trainer of jocks who wanted to turn announcer. He would do one tv game a year. He did a horrible Jets game and said, "Gee, if this was on radio, I could make it sound really exciting."

And don't forget he was a world class athlete. He made the 1936 U.S. 400 relay team but was held out because of the anti-semitism of Avery Brundage, chair of the USOC. Probably would have won a gold medal.

Glickman REALLY got screwed since Brundage didn't want to
    " offend " Hitler by having a Jew probably beat his master
    Race !! Blacks were ok - Jews weren't . Was good to see
    J Owens go wild ;-) That decision haunted Glickman his entire
    life ....

At Syracuse, he played football and basketball, and was an All American on the gridiron. He played some pro ball in both.[/quote]

[quote user="Bluesmash"]I remember at rhe end of his career Glickman was the trainer of jocks who wanted to turn announcer. He would do one tv game a year. He did a horrible Jets game and said, "Gee, if this was on radio, I could make it sound really exciting."

Glickman REALLY got screwed since Brundage didn't want to
    " offend " Hitler by having a Jew probably beat his master
    Race !! Blacks were ok - Jews weren't . Was good to see
    J Owens go wild ;-) That decision haunted Glickman his entire
    life ....

At Syracuse, he played football and basketball, and was an All American on the gridiron. He played some pro ball in both.[/quote]

[quote user="YATittle1962"]hearing that voice brought back so many memories and conjured up all kinds of emotions

thank you for that[/quote]

You're welcome.

It would be great to hear some complete games from back then.

I gotta say that the job of announcer for the G-Men has been in solid hands of another alumni from the world's former greatest radio station: Bob Papa. He does a fantastic job and is right up there with Marty.