+ Reply to Thread

Hall of fame requirements... what should they be for a player?

I was reading this article about the 50 best players not in the hall, and was thinking about which of them I would induct based on performance and impact.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l-hall-of-fame

I was thinking that a player should play to a standard for a long period of time, while having a defining impact on the game that identifies him as an elite player of his time.

For example: QBs should definitely have over 30000 yards, but would ideally have 35000 yards. While RBs and WRs should have over 10000 yards, and would ideally have over 12500 yards.

I have not really given it much thought, but I just wanted to get opinions and impressions about those on this board. There just seems to be lots of talent that should be in the hall, like Tim Brown of the Raiders... the guy was amazing.

Perhaps a good way to pose the question is, what players do you think deserve induction?, and why?

I would like to say that Phil Simms and Randall Cunningham should be in the hall.

Re: Hall of fame requirements... what should they be for a player?

[quote user="Bohemian"]I was reading this article about the 50 best players not in the hall, and was thinking about which of them I would induct based on performance and impact.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l-hall-of-fame

I was thinking that a player should play to a standard for a long period of time, while having a defining impact on the game that identifies him as an elite player of his time.

For example: QBs should definitely have over 30000 yards, but would ideally have 35000 yards.* While RBs and WRs should have over 10000 yards, and would ideally have over 12500 yards.

I have not really given it much thought, but I just wanted to get opinions and impressions about those on this board.* There just seems to be lots of talent that should be in the hall, like Tim Brown of the Raiders... the guy was amazing.

Perhaps a good way to pose the question is, what players do you think deserve induction?, and why?

I would like to say that Phil Simms and Randall Cunningham should be in the hall.
    [/quote]

Simms is MAYBE on the bubble, but I think he will fall short, if he hasn't already. Had he played in Super Bowl XXV, with everything else about his career the same, that would probably have pushed him into serious consideration for the Hall.

Cunnungham, no. The best years of his career were the late 80s-91 Eagles, or so, and his 98 season with Vikings and rookie Randy Moss.

Those Eagles had a ferocious defense most of those years, and the Vikings team had one of the best offenses of all time.

With those factors going for him, he won nothing in post season.

I do not like the idea of requirements for the hall of fame. Specific requirements ignore the most important stat of all, impact on the game.

A guy like Joe Namath really didnt have all that impressive stats when you look at his career. Many QBs who have not made the Hall had better(like Phil Simms.) But, as much as it pains me to say it because I hate the Jets, Joe should be in the Hall because of his impact on the game.

Furthermore, in many cases Stats already have too much of an impact on the hall. The TE position, according to the HoF is a pass catching position above all else. That may be true in the league right now, but not always. In fact TE was always considered a blocking 1st position in this league until very recently. Yet, when TEs are considered it is almost exclusively on receiving prowice.

My personal opinion is that waaaaay too many guys get in. They need some other higher thing for the "really" special players.

I'd love to see Simms in the hall.

Eli will be a first ballot HOFer. Tom Coughlin will also make it.

Strahan will of course be in there immediately. Tiki can suck it, I hope he never gets in.

What do you guys think about Toomer?

There are no real qualifications. Just be well liked in the media eyes(or at least don't be hated), put up ok-good stats in a long career and you should be good to go
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

[quote user="FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts"]I'd love to see Simms in the hall.

Eli will be a first ballot HOFer. Tom Coughlin will also make it.

Strahan will of course be in there immediately. Tiki can suck it, I hope he never gets in.

What do you guys think about Toomer?
    [/quote]

No shot for Toomer. He was never even in the debate for best WR in the league while he was playing.

Tiki probably could've made a case for himself had he played a few more years at the level he was playing at when he quit. But now I think he misses out.

Strahan is our only potential HOF'er right now and Eli is the only current player that is worth talking about. I know we have some young stars but it's not worth talking about until they have been playing at a very high level for like 5 years.

They cant have set requirements because the game evolves. The passing game for instance is at a level now it was never even close to in the past.

[quote user="slipknottin"]They cant have set requirements because the game evolves. The passing game for instance is at a level now it was never even close to in the past.[/quote]

The only constant is really championships, and even then, as more teams enter the league it becomes more difficult to win one.

A player should absolutely have been considered among the best at his position for an extended period of time (ex. Curtis Martin, Marvin Harrison, Chris Doleman) , considered THE very best for at least a short period (Terrell Davis, Kurt Warner), or transcend stats/the game in some other way based on championships or reputation (Aikman, Namath). Now the examples I used aren't players I necessarily think should be in the Hall. They're just examples of that "type" of career. Personally, I would rather see the requirements be much stricter and more similar to baseball, where they don't just allow in a set number of players each year.
    Personally I would rather the hall be reserved for players who either (Note most hall-of-famers would meet multiple criteria):

a) Transcended the game in such a way that you can't have a Hall of Fame without them in it, regardless of stats, but often because of Wins/Championships. Namath seems to fit best here, but you could even include Montana under this category because his stats don't jump off the page at you. I didn't watch him play in his prime but I'm sure anyone who did considers him top 3 all-time. Montana also won millions - AND MILLIONS - of games and 4 Super Bowls. Also would include players from "older" eras when it is difficult or impossible to include stats. Terry Bradshaw would be another.

b) Absolutely dominated in his prime to a degree that that you couldn't possibly discuss "best ever at the position" without at least mentioning this player (ex. Barry Sanders, Randy Moss, Deion Sanders)

c) Players that played at such a high level for such a long period of time that their stats speak for themselves and you have to include them. Probably dominant at times, but we think of them more for their career stats because the numbers are just so massive (ex. Marvin Harrison, Favre again, Strahan, Emmitt Smith, Marino)

Then of course you have the guys who meet multiple or all three criteria and were so awesome you don't even have to have a discussion, but rather their very existence makes you wish the Hall were more exclusive (LT, Jim Brown, Butkis, Reggie White, Unitas, Jerry freakin' Rice, etc.)