+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2003 College Scouting Report: Eli Manning

Re: 2003 College Scouting Report: Eli Manning

talk about reading the future. everything he said was 100% accurate.

the way he describes him is what we saw early his eli's career. tries to force things bc of his talent. seemed socially awkward. people questioned his leadership. on a lot of his int's, it seemed like he wasn't trusting his receivers ability and would wait a second too late to make some of the throws EA described in this report, would miss high, not wide, but high. you could see he had amazing potential, but had a lot to learn.

now u fast forward 4-5 years. all the positives EA described, is what we see for 90% of the game from Eli. Dropping balls over the receivers shoulder. Is a winner. Leads by his play and desire to be the best and win. Not afraid to take big hits, and somehow, it seems like his arm gets more powerful after taking hits and as the game goes on. He can lead the team to victory, sometimes it seems all on his own. And right now, one statement EA says seems to be coming true, "can be better than his brother."

I guess thats why some of us were sold from jump street. it wasn't like we didn't see the flaws. But I at least, wouldnt let the flaws blind me to his ability and potential. Right now, in a lot of the games from this past season, I think EA described Eli with one word pretty dang perfectly: Magic. The throws he could make in situations a QB shouldn't be able to. Extending plays when a QB shouldn't be able to. Leading the team to victory when a QB shouldn't be able to.

That's another reason why I say despite his epic play, I still believe he can get better. If he can somehow channel his "magic" the way he did so many 4th quarters this last season into the whole game, can you imagine? Seriously, imagine Eli being able to control that "magic" for the entire game...if he could, could you honestly tell me he wouldnt have a solid chance of being the best ever to play his position? So stoked he's our QB, and so stoked to see how he has developed. The way he plays QB now, is what I saw he'd be able to do from the get go even tho it was dang ugly sometimes. Could easily see another 2 or even 3 Super Bowls...just got to make the playoffs and then the rest of the NFL is going to be on lookout. You think the rest of the league is going to underestimate, forget Eli's two SuperBowl runs?? He'll be the last QB teams will want to see in the playoffs from here on out and that will affect their psyche no doubt.

Way to go Earnie Acorsi...NY GIANT NATION OWES YOU BIG TIME

It's not just the scouting report. But, it's also sticking with him and enduring insufferable games in his first two seasons, as well as to lesser extend, some bad play later on.

Even in 2010, he was still suffering from the high ball that led to many of the interceptions. He still had doubters even then too.

But the errors of 2010 led to a determination in the pre-2011 period that led to a next plateau.

If you apply this as a lesson to a whole lot of players, you might find that the reason they make mistakes is that there is a talented group on the other side of the ball, often with the same potential that the player you are looking at at any given moment has.

I'm thinking specifically of Prince right now and comparing how it takes time to learn cornerback in the pros and the mistakes he made in his rookie year. As a GM, you have to be patient and trust your intuition about someone. As a fan, you have to acquire patience and similarly wait out a lot of players to come around. The games are the testing grounds where experience is being gained from a lot of trial and error, then learning from those errors.

And Coach Coughlin has put together an amazing staff of coaches to teach players and to develop the rookies even as the season goes along, so that an incredible number of those talented rookies are ready to step up and compete. That became evident in each of the two Superbowl run years.

It's such a joke when fans just cannot wait to trash a player or players and even find blame after each and every loss. I can safely say, for instance that the lessons learned in each of the seven losses from the 2011 season were an integral part of why the Giants won the Superbowl, not an impediment to that ultimate victory.

Regardless, a lot of people jump at players immediately as if they were the only one to see a mistake and that they are somehow superior than other fans for seeing error. They also often make the mistake of assuming those errors will necessarily continue to be as frequent in future games.

The bottom line is the Giants are a top notch organization. And the argument between being a negative fan when all seems to be going wrong vs. a pom pom waving fan is all wrong. The real answer is to be an observer of the game, digging up points that are key and/or few others may have seen (or guaged as significant). It's these hidden trends that often uncover what will happen in the future and also make these boards a more rewarding place to visit.

If this were, say, a Cleveland, on the other hand, you'd probably see poor talent evaluators, unwillingness to permit players to make errors, lack of faith in them and your organization's game plan.

How fortunate are we? Many still don't even grasp this! Some will be ready to trash Eli the very next mistake he makes in the pre-season, yet.

[quote user="GreenZone"]It's not just the scouting report. But, it's also sticking with him and enduring insufferable games in his first two seasons, as well as to lesser extend, some bad play later on.

Even in 2010, he was still suffering from the high ball that led to many of the interceptions. He still had doubters even then too.

But the errors of 2010 led to a determination in the pre-2011 period that led to a next plateau.

If you apply this as a lesson to a whole lot of players, you might find that the reason they make mistakes is that there is a talented group on the other side of the ball, often with the same potential that the player you are looking at at any given moment has.

I'm thinking specifically of Prince right now and comparing how it takes time to learn cornerback in the pros and the mistakes he made in his rookie year. As a GM, you have to be patient and trust your intuition about someone. As a fan, you have to acquire patience and similarly wait out a lot of players to come around. The games are the testing grounds where experience is being gained from a lot of trial and error, then learning from those errors.

And Coach Coughlin has put together an amazing staff of coaches to teach players and to develop the rookies even as the season goes along, so that an incredible number of those talented rookies are ready to step up and compete. That became evident in each of the two Superbowl run years.

It's such a joke when fans just cannot wait to trash a player or players and even find blame after each and every loss. I can safely say, for instance that the lessons learned in each of the seven losses from the 2011 season were an integral part of why the Giants won the Superbowl, not an impediment to that ultimate victory.

Regardless, a lot of people jump at players immediately as if they were the only one to see a mistake and that they are somehow superior than other fans for seeing error. They also often make the mistake of assuming those errors will necessarily continue to be as frequent in future games.

The bottom line is the Giants are a top notch organization. And the argument between being a negative fan when all seems to be going wrong vs. a pom pom waving fan is all wrong. The real answer is to be an observer of the game, digging up points that are key and/or few others may have seen (or guaged as significant). It's these hidden trends that often uncover what will happen in the future and also make these boards a more rewarding place to visit.

If this were, say, a Cleveland, on the other hand, you'd probably see poor talent evaluators, unwillingness to permit players to make errors, lack of faith in them and your organization's game plan.

How fortunate are we? Many still don't even grasp this! Some will be ready to trash Eli the very next mistake he makes in the pre-season, yet.
    [/quote]

I'm definitely guilty of trashing players and coaches who have proven to be very good. I don't apologize, I'm a fan. . .not an expert.

But perhaps now I'll remember that just because good things don't happen overnight, doesn't mean they won't happen.

Thanks for the lesson, G-Men!!!
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

I've never heard it mentioned before that Accorsi referred to him as socially awkward (or perceived that way). I found that interesting as that was one of the biggest knocks against Eli early.

Wow. Great scouting report. Very interesting.

I have always been a believer in Eli, and we are a lucky fanbase. We have had the privilege to have a great QB like Eli to watch. A true professional and nothing the media or the fans say have affected him. He gets ignored, but he is one of the best to ever play the position, and I would argue is better than many that get listed before him when they make the lists.

Hey, Ernie, can I borrow your crystal ball? I need to find out if there's a girlfriend in my future or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Starter

"...on a lot of his int's, it seemed like he wasn't trusting his receivers
    ability and would wait a second too late to make some of the throws EA
    described in this report, would miss high, not wide, but high. you could
    see he had amazing potential, but had a lot to learn."

I found it very interesting to learn that Eli explained the excessive number of INT's from last year (2010) were the result of his receivers running the wrong routes, and then he would try to throw the ball to them anyway...trying to guess which way they were going. This year he told his receiver's that if they ran the wrong route, they weren't getting the ball. This came from the interview with Eli on the recent DVD that was released.

Chris

Veteran

You should all read Ralph Vacchiano's book on the subject. It's a great read