+ Reply to Thread

Bernard Pierce (RB) and Evan Rodriquez (FB/TE)

Pierce has been on my periphery and it looks like he's moving himself up to a 2nd round pick for us if we go in that direction.

I've been VERY high on Evan Rodriquez since December. This guy is one of my sleeper picks in this draft.

Running back Bernard Pierce, who surprised many with a 4.45 40 clocking at the combine, lowered his time by one-tenth today. Several watches had Pierce, not known as a fast ball-carrier, turning in times of 4.34 seconds. Sure-handed receiver Rod Streater also cracked the 4.4-second barrier, timing 4.37 in the 40.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1paoXWEd5
    After his tremendous 40 time, running back Bernard Pierce looked terrific in pass catching drills. The junior ran both short and deep routes, looking equally effective in both. He was natural catching the ball and at one point made an impressive fingertip grab. Pierce has solidified himself in the second tier of running backs next April and ranks as a potential top-75 choice.

Fellow combine invitee Evan Rodriquez rested on his 40 time from Indianapolis (4.53 seconds), but was another who stood out in pass catching drills. Rodriquez lined-up at tight end, fullback and H-back during position drills, looking smooth in all areas.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1paoxtZtw
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Re: Bernard Pierce (RB) and Evan Rodriquez (FB/TE)

The only Rb I want is Doug Martin

I like Rodriguez, just not sure he'd be a great fit on our team. All though he plays very physical I don't think he has the size the Giants look for in an in line tight end, however he could work as a fullback in which case he'd be much more dynamic then Hynoski...The question is do the Giants want to spend a high pick on a FB, my guess is no. He reminds me of Aaron Hernadez though.

As for Peirce, here's what Emmitt Smith had to say about him and I for the most part agree with his assessment:

EMMITT'S TAKE: His style kind of reminds me of Darren McFadden -- light lower body, upright running style. Obviously not nearly as fast or dynamic. I'm not seeing a whole lot. He's a little bow-legged. He runs too high, allows his upper body to get ahead of his legs, that's how injuries happen. He has good vision with a little bit of wiggle, but struggles to create on his own.

I don't see anything special. Holds ball too loose. He's not flashy, doesn't do much to excite me. He's a "guy." He's not a back who can consistently help me. His type will have to play special teams or be a third-down back and I don't see that in him. I'm sure he's tough and so forth, but I'm just not seeing it.

[quote user="juice33s"]I like Rodriguez, just not sure he'd be a great fit on our team. All though he plays very physical I don't think he has the size the Giants look for in an in line tight end, however he could work as a fullback in which case he'd be much more dynamic then Hynoski...The question is do the Giants want to spend a high pick on a FB, my guess is no. He reminds me of Aaron Hernadez though.

As for Peirce, here's what Emmitt Smith had to say about him and I for the most part agree with his assessment:

EMMITT'S TAKE: His style kind of reminds me of Darren McFadden -- light lower body, upright running style. Obviously not nearly as fast or dynamic. I'm not seeing a whole lot. He's a little bow-legged. He runs too high, allows his upper body to get ahead of his legs, that's how injuries happen. He has good vision with a little bit of wiggle, but struggles to create on his own.

I don't see anything special. Holds ball too loose. He's not flashy, doesn't do much to excite me. He's a "guy." He's not a back who can consistently help me. His type will have to play special teams or be a third-down back and I don't see that in him. I'm sure he's tough and so forth, but I'm just not seeing it.

[/quote]

I am getting a little weiry of Emmit's take on RBs. I do not agree with a lot of his assessments nor do I think they are particularly logical or intelligent.

If you want to see how little he cares about actually seriously evaluating talent, go back and look at his mock draft for 2011.He had like 5 Rbs in the 1st round, mispelled numberous kid's names, had his 10 year old son being drafted by the cowboys, and had a Cam "Norton" (qb aubrun) going 1st overall as well as Cam "Newton"(QB Auburn) going 12th overal to the Vikings.

I know at times he is trying to be funny, but here are some other direct quotes attributed to his efforts....

"A mark draft very difficultness to create. Please read all my doggone pick!"

"I put blood, sweats and cry into this doggone mock draft! I even try to spell all names good!"

So he is either not taking this seriously or he is just that dumb. Perhaps both. Either way, I dont care what he says anymore.

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="juice33s"]I like Rodriguez, just not sure he'd be a great fit on our team. All though he plays very physical I don't think he has the size the Giants look for in an in line tight end, however he could work as a fullback in which case he'd be much more dynamic then Hynoski...The question is do the Giants want to spend a high pick on a FB, my guess is no. He reminds me of Aaron Hernadez though.

[/quote]

I am getting a little weiry of Emmit's take on RBs. I do not agree with a lot of his assessments nor do I think they are particularly logical or intelligent.

If you want to see how little he cares about actually seriously evaluating talent, go back and look at his mock draft for 2011.He had like 5 Rbs in the 1st round, mispelled numberous kid's names, had his 10 year old* son being drafted by the cowboys, and had a* Cam "Norton" (qb aubrun) going 1st overall as well as Cam "Newton"(QB Auburn) going 12th overal to the Vikings.*

I know at times he is trying to be funny, but here are some other direct quotes attributed to his efforts....

"I put blood, sweats and cry into this doggone mock draft! I even try to spell all names good!"

So he is either not taking this seriously or he is just that dumb. Perhaps both. Either way, I dont care what he says anymore.

[/quote] I coulda swore that mock draft wasn't actually emmitt, but someone playing a joke..

[quote user="myles2424"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="juice33s"]I like Rodriguez, just not sure he'd be a great fit on our team. All though he plays very physical I don't think he has the size the Giants look for in an in line tight end, however he could work as a fullback in which case he'd be much more dynamic then Hynoski...The question is do the Giants want to spend a high pick on a FB, my guess is no. He reminds me of Aaron Hernadez though.

[/quote]

If you want to see how little he cares about actually seriously evaluating talent, go back and look at his mock draft for 2011.He had like 5 Rbs in the 1st round, mispelled numberous kid's names, had his 10 year old son being drafted by the cowboys, and had a Cam "Norton" (qb aubrun) going 1st overall as well as Cam "Newton"(QB Auburn) going 12th overal to the Vikings.

[/quote] I coulda swore that mock draft wasn't actually Emmitt, but someone playing a joke..[/quote]

You are prolly right. But He did say on TV last year the best guy coming out was "Cam Norton."

My point is though that great players often do not make good scouts or coaches. Otherwise, we would have hired LT a long time ago.

I also do not see 1 bit of Darren McFadden in Bernard Pierce. I mean no disrespect to Darren either. I just dont see the similarities at all. The staple move I see out of Bernard is a hop step, similar to the 1 LeSean McCoy uses. Bernard will be headed to an offguard run and side step to offtackle in a heartbeat. It is for this reason, I think Zone blocking teams will pursue him. Darren was a fine RB in college and has been ok in the NFL though I think the Raiders have misused him. But this staple move of Bernards is not 1 McFadden uses at all and I dont see how Emmitt can say the 2 are similar with that huge difference in style. Bernards does have some flaws, and I agree he carries the ball loosely(like McCoy.) I tend to agree with Brugler's (the author) assessment of Pierce far more than I do Emmitt's. I just cant see how you can evaluate Pierce and not recignoze that lateral move of his.

[quote user="juice33s"]I like Rodriguez, just not sure he'd be a great fit on our team. All though he plays very physical I don't think he has the size the Giants look for in an in line tight end, however he could work as a fullback in which case he'd be much more dynamic then Hynoski...The question is do the Giants want to spend a high pick on a FB, my guess is no. He reminds me of Aaron Hernadez though.

[/quote]

Evan Rodriguez is a projected 5th round pick. Not exactly a "high" pick.

And Emmit just described O.J. Simpson lol.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)