+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange similarities in SB titles by Cowboys, Redskins and Giants.

Re: Strange similarities in SB titles by Cowboys, Redskins and Giants.

[quote user="Cowboys Fan From Asia"][quote user="Drez"]

We just need the Jets to lose to an NFCE team in the SB and it'll be a clean sweep.</P>

[/quote]

Jets-Giants Super Bowl? .........Too much like the Subway Series.

On that topic, I wonder if Yankees fans tend to root for the Giants and Mets fans tend to root for the Jets. Can't figure out why, but it just seems that the kind of New Yorker who would root for the Giants would also be the type to root for the Yankees and the type of New Yorker who would root for the Jets would also be the kind to root for the Mets.
    [/quote]</P>

</P>

I root for the Giants, Mets, Rangers and Knicks. I think you are right that most Giants fans also root for the Yankees and most Jets fans root for the Mets. </P>

[quote user="Cowboys Fan From Asia"]
    On that topic, I wonder if Yankees fans tend to root for the Giants and Mets fans tend to root for the Jets. Can't figure out why, but it just seems that the kind of New Yorker who would root for the Giants would also be the type to root for the Yankees and the type of New Yorker who would root for the Jets would also be the kind to root for the Mets.
    [/quote]

Tend to, but those distinctions are melting and there is a mix. There are Jets fans in the Yankee fanbase and a lot of Met fans in the Giant fanbase (partly due to the G-Men sharing the Polo Grounds with the baseball Giants in the early years and the NL loyalty and Yankee hatred gets passed down the generations).

The Yanks and Giants are the senior franchises (1903 and 1925) and cohabitated from 1956-1973; the Mets and Jets are the raggedy upstarts and cohabitated from 1962-1984. The Giants golden era of 6 championship games in 8 years 1956-1963 that saw the ascension of pro football to the national stage coincided with a golden era for the Yankees (4 WS in 7 appearances in 8 years, HR record in 61). Yankee Stadium was the nexus of the sports universe. The Yankees were always in the WS and the Giants were always in the NFL title game. The Giants and Yanks tend to be well run and somewhat conservative, the Jets and Mets are the "counter-culture" upstarts always making a splash and trying to "steal attention" from their big brothers, and as a result end up blowing the whole thing up and starting over every 4 years or so.

Also, there's a little geographical bias for the teams.

1 = Manhattan; 2 = Brooklyn; 3 = Queens; 4 = Bronx; 5 = Staten Island
    Westchester = north of 4; NJ = west

Uup until two years ago the Jets were headquartered in Hempstead, Long Island and the Mets play in Queens (Brooklyn and Queens are part of NYC but lie on the western tip of Long Island). While something like 80% of the season ticket holders from the Giants live in Westchester (north of NYC) and NJ. Westchester is not far from the Bronx, home of the Yanks.

Giants-Yankees myself.

The Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium were literally a stone's throw apart but there's a lot of change crossing that river.

8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Boy I Love Losing Superbowls

[quote user="Cowboys Fan From Asia"][quote user="Drez"]

We just need the Jets to lose to an NFCE team in the SB and it'll be a clean sweep.</p>[/quote]

Jets-Giants Super Bowl? .........Too much like the Subway Series.

[/quote]

jets fans root for mets. simply put, jets fans cant spell anything with more than 4 letters. [:O]

[quote user="bgblucru5656"]
    jets fans root for mets. simply put, jets fans cant spell anything with more than 4 letters. [:O]
    [/quote]

LOL they only have to change one letter in the chant. I wonder how many are Nets fans too. []
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="Cowboys Fan From Asia"]
    [/quote]

Tend to, but those distinctions are melting and there is a mix. There are Jets fans in the Yankee fanbase and a lot of Met fans in the Giant fanbase (partly due to the G-Men sharing the Polo Grounds with the baseball Giants in the early years and the NL loyalty and Yankee hatred gets passed down the generations).

The Yanks and Giants are the senior franchises (1903 and 1925) and cohabitated from 1956-1973; the Mets and Jets are the raggedy upstarts and cohabitated from 1962-1984. The Giants golden era of 6 championship games in 8 years 1956-1963 that saw the ascension of pro football to the national stage coincided with a golden era for the Yankees (4 WS in 7 appearances in 8 years, HR record in 61). Yankee Stadium was the nexus of the sports universe. The Yankees were always in the WS and the Giants were always in the NFL title game. The Giants and Yanks tend to be well run and somewhat conservative, the Jets and Mets are the "counter-culture" upstarts always making a splash and trying to "steal attention" from their big brothers, and as a result end up blowing the whole thing up and starting over every 4 years or so.

Also, there's a little geographical bias for the teams.

1 = Manhattan; 2 = Brooklyn; 3 = Queens; 4 = Bronx; 5 = Staten Island
    Westchester = north of 4; NJ = west

Uup until two years ago the Jets were headquartered in Hempstead, Long Island and the Mets play in Queens (Brooklyn and Queens are part of NYC but lie on the western tip of Long Island). While something like 80% of the season ticket holders from the Giants live in Westchester (north of NYC) and NJ. Westchester is not far from the Bronx, home of the Yanks.

Giants-Yankees myself.

The Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium were literally a stone's throw apart but there's a lot of change crossing that river.
    [/quote]

Aha, excellent in-depth analysis. Thanks.

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="bgblucru5656"]
    [/quote]

LOL they only have to change one letter in the chant. I wonder how many are Nets fans too. []
    [/quote]

Lol, but admittedly, it would be pretty sweet and convenient to be able to introduce yourself by saying "I'm a Jets/Mets/Nets fan."

Veteran

[quote user="Cowboys Fan From Asia"][quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="bgblucru5656"]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Lol, but admittedly, it would be <font size="4">pretty sweet and convenient</font> to be able to introduce yourself by saying "I'm a Jets/Mets/Nets fan."

[/quote]Not really, it would probably suck.

+ Reply to Thread