+ Reply to Thread
Page 4969 of 5517 FirstFirst ... 39694469486949194959496749684969497049714979501950695469 ... LastLast
Results 49,681 to 49,690 of 55170

Thread: Asian giant for HC

Re: Asian giant for HC

Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora was benched late in the 2009 season, and says he won't stand for that treatment again.

"I'm not going to be a backup player, I can promise you that,"
    Umenyiora said on WFAN Wednesday. "I'll stop playing football before I do that ever
    again. . . . So for me it's not something that I'm going to do. If I'm
    asked to come back there and do that then I'll just stop playing
    football."

Here's
    an idea: play football better. Become a player the team couldn't
    possibly take off the field. All coaches want to do is win; they
    didn't think Umenyiora was good enough to play every down. Umenyiora
    thought his time with the team may have been up.

"I felt like I had worn out my welcome, because for certain people, no
    matter what happens, they'll never take them out of the lineup, you
    understand what I mean?"

Umenyiora hopes things can be resolved and Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News writes
    that the team has no plans to trade or release him. We simply can't
    buy that Umenyiora will quit, and pass up his salary no matter what
    role he's in.

Money never seems to be too far from the surface
    in these disputes. Umenyiora talked about getting a pay raise back in
    2008. Since then, he's missed a season with a knee injury, and had a
    rocky 2009. He's frustrated.

Obviously, he's not getting a pay raise right now. The only way he can get one in the future is to play ball again.

[quote user="AsianGiant"]Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora was benched late in the 2009 season, and says he won't stand for that treatment again.

"I'm not going to be a backup player, I can promise you that," Umenyiora said on WFAN Wednesday. "I'll stop playing football before I do that ever again. . . . So for me it's not something that I'm going to do. If I'm asked to come back there and do that then I'll just stop playing football."

Here's an idea: play football better. Become a player the team couldn't possibly take off the field. All coaches want to do is win; they didn't think Umenyiora was good enough to play every down. Umenyiora thought his time with the team may have been up.

"I felt like I had worn out my welcome, because for certain people, no matter what happens, they'll never take them out of the lineup, you understand what I mean?"

Umenyiora hopes things can be resolved and Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News writes that the team has no plans to trade or release him. We simply can't buy that Umenyiora will quit, and pass up his salary no matter what role he's in.

Money never seems to be too far from the surface in these disputes. Umenyiora talked about getting a pay raise back in 2008. Since then, he's missed a season with a knee injury, and had a rocky 2009. He's frustrated.

Obviously, he's not getting a pay raise right now. The only way he can get one in the future is to play ball again.[/quote]</P>

What? A Giant topic?</P>

Good choice, AG</P>

Honestly, Osi wasn't his old self. Perhaps that was due to the recovery time needed after his knee problems and he did his best. But, we all know it wasn't up to his old standards. I hope the semi-benching was a reality check for him and he comes back to camp raring to kick butt. All good.</P>

Only time will tell, but I think we can all assume that Osi is penciled in as next season's starter.</P>

We all love you, Osi, and hope 2010 brings a rededication. Show your old form and the $$ will take care of itself.</P>

Also looking forward to Tuck being healed and ready to go.</P>

Alford will be back.</P>

Canty and Bernard can, hopefully be at 100%.</P>

Cofield is ready to go.</P>

Is Robbins getting too old?</P>

I'm looking foward to 2010 starting off with a healthy and angry D line... what we expected to see in 2009.</P>

I wouldn't expect to use an early draft pick on the D line... use them at LB and Safety, plus another Beatty to shore up the O Line. </P>

McKenzie is showing some age, and who knows how many years Seubert's brutal injuries reduced his longevity. I wouldn't mind finding Diehl back at guard. His footwork is just too slow for a speed rusher.</P>

[quote user="zimonami"]

What? A Giant topic?</p>

Good choice, AG</p>

Honestly, Osi wasn't his old self. Perhaps that was due to the recovery time needed after his knee problems and he did his best. But, we all know it wasn't up to his old standards. I hope the semi-benching was a reality check for him and he comes back to camp raring to kick butt. All good.</p>

Only time will tell, but I think we can all assume that Osi is penciled in as next season's starter.</p>

We all love you, Osi, and hope 2010 brings a rededication. Show your old form and the $$ will take care of itself.</p>

Also looking forward to Tuck being healed and ready to go.</p>

Alford will be back.</p>

Canty and Bernard can, hopefully be at 100%.</p>

Cofield is ready to go.</p>

Is Robbins getting too old?</p>

I'm looking foward to 2010 starting off with a healthy and angry D line... what we expected to see in 2009.</p>

I wouldn't expect to use an early draft pick on the D line... use them at LB and Safety, plus another Beatty to shore up the O Line. </p>

McKenzie is showing some age, and who knows how many years Seubert's brutal injuries reduced his longevity. I wouldn't mind finding Diehl back at guard. His footwork is just too slow for a speed rusher.</p>[/quote]

It's true, Osi wasn't himself and no one can really expect him to be 100% after coming off an injury. I think that this coming season will be his true test. If he comes off mediocre and still complains, then he won't be back in 2011. But I really think Tuck/Osi makes a great DE combo. (as long as we get the old Osi back)

McKenzie does scare me a bit. It would be good to make sure we have a solid backup for him if he gets hurt again, but I still think he's good to go for 2010....

What's the deal with Moss? I've already written him off a couple seasons ago and to this day, he still hasn't shown any promise. Do you think he has any value left for...well...anything? Anyone?

[quote user="AsianGiant"]
    It's true, Osi wasn't himself and no one can really expect him to be 100% after coming off an injury. I think that this coming season will be his true test. If he comes off mediocre and still complains, then he won't be back in 2011. But I really think Tuck/Osi makes a great DE combo. (as long as we get the old Osi back)

McKenzie does scare me a bit. It would be good to make sure we have a solid backup for him if he gets hurt again, but I still think he's good to go for 2010....

What's the deal with Moss? I've already written him off a couple seasons ago and to this day, he still hasn't shown any promise. Do you think he has any value left for...well...anything? Anyone?

[/quote]</P>

What surprised me was him even making the team this past season. He's had his chances and both Hixon and Hagan outshined him in training camp. Surprise, they kept 6 receivers, so he was safe to sit on the bench and collect his pay another year.</P>

I always thought he was just too short. I think Eli thought so, too. By now it's clear Eli likes a big target. Athis size you better be danged dynamic. To me, Moss and Manningham are pretty similar, but Manningham's size is a big difference, and a bigplus... especially getting off the line.</P>

I don't think Moss has any value at all. Would you give up a 4th, 5th, or 6th pick for our #6 receiver? He'll be cut and probably get a look see with a team not too deep at receiver. </P>

If he had shown anything returning punts he would have had far more value, but in preseason he was dismal... seemmed like a stiff wind would knock him right down. At his size he needs some initial moves, burst, and leg drive... Like little ol' Leon Bright... he showed none of that.</P>

Moss is probably done, I mean if you can't start, or at least find a place on ST that pretty much points to the door.

My ideal draft based upon Position rather than "names" is

1st Round: a True 43 OLB or ILB; a Monster please

2nd Rd: A True NT/NG, because I don't know about Robbins
    (remember we get Alford back and Cofield is decent IMO)

3rd Rd. either a OLB or ILB, depending on Rd 1, failing that a SS

4th-6th plus any possible extra picks: a LT, (I love DD but would like to see him use his T skills returned as a G...do worry about possible diminished speed though), a Power RB &amp; either a G or another T for the Line.

Osi: I was watching Sportsnite (Sports package), and Stray basically defending Osi in terms of describing how knee injuries take 2 years so to speak to fully heal.

Good enough for me.

Keep Osi and hopefully he and a less injury-riddled Defense can remind those idiot skins, eagles and boys fans that '09 was a off year due to injury not poor skills and lame coaching.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

[quote user="giantyankee1976"]Moss is probably done, I mean if you can't start, or at least find a place on ST that pretty much points to the door.

4th-6th plus any possible extra picks: a LT, (I love DD but would like to see him use his T skills returned as a G...do worry about possible diminished speed though), a Power RB &amp; either a G or another T for the Line.

Osi: I was watching Sportsnite (Sports package), and Stray basically defending Osi in terms of describing how knee injuries take 2 years so to speak to fully heal.

Good enough for me.

Keep Osi and hopefully he and a less injury-riddled Defense can remind those idiot skins, eagles and boys fans that '09 was a off year due to injury not poor skills and lame coaching.
    [/quote]</P>

I don't think it was poor skills, and I don't think it was the coaching... But, I do think it was a coach... Sheridan. I won't speak to his skills because it was obvious that the D played without heart in several games... But, I put that on Sheridan - he didn't command the respect and determination of the D and the guys didn't follow him into battle and lay it all on the line.</P>

[quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="giantyankee1976"]Moss is probably done, I mean if you can't start, or at least find a place on ST that pretty much points to the door.

Good enough for me.

[/quote]</p>

I don't think it was poor skills, and I don't think it was the coaching... But, I do think it was a coach... Sheridan. I won't speak to his skills because it was obvious that the D played without heart in several games... But, I put that on Sheridan - he didn't command the respect and determination of the D and the guys didn't follow him into battle and lay it all on the line.</p>[/quote]

yes but what say you to the old Workplace adage: You are hired to do a job, not like your boss? (loosely translated of course)

At the end of the day pro-Sports = entertainment. That is to say, while we enjoy our sports we won't die if denied them. (Though I might come close)

So based upon that premise, when a pro-athlete has the potentially to make more money within a few months than us average joes can net in a year; at some point my sympathy for their "hard times" is pretty limited.

And that's for all pro-athletes regardless of sport.

Bill was not ready to lead an entire defense. He was probably comfortable with his LB unit to lead. He was thrust into the light just so that a "Coughlin Man" could "continue the status quo".

Ironically Fewell was a "Coughlin Man" from Jax days so....

Bottomline, Osi is a professional athlete as is the rest of the Defensive unit. None of them are dumb so because you get a new Boss, you suddenly work like ****e?

That wouldn't fly in the regular/ real world and it shouldn't fly with well-paid athletes either.

[quote user="zimonami"]

4th-6th plus any possible extra picks: a LT, (I love DD but would like to see him use his T skills returned as a G...do worry about possible diminished speed though), a Power RB & either a G or another T for the Line.

Good enough for me.

[/quote]</P>

I don't think it was poor skills, and I don't think it was the coaching... But, I do think it was a coach... Sheridan.* I won't speak to his skills because it was obvious that the D played without heart in several games... But, I put that on Sheridan - he didn't command the respect and determination of the D and the guys didn't follow him into battle and lay it all on the line.</P>[/quote]

what Zim said

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

Good enough for me.

[/quote]</P>

I don't think it was poor skills, and I don't think it was the coaching... But, I do think it was a coach... Sheridan. I won't speak to his skills because it was obvious that the D played without heart in several games... But, I put that on Sheridan - he didn't command the respect and determination of the D and the guys didn't follow him into battle and lay it all on the line.</P>

[/quote] what Zim said[/quote]</P>

I agree with YA................well said Z. Osi on WFAN as I write this post..lets see if he does any back tracking on the statement...........beginning questions sounds like he is</P>

he didn't touch it on First and ten though, seemed energetic and came across genuine in that he wants to be "here" (there) in Giants Blue.

I believe in the sub-par health of his body and look forward to seeing what he brings next year.

Same with Tuck, flozell really pulled a number with that weak *** tripping move.

Throw in a Healthy: AP, Kenny P, Jay, Cofield, Canty (still suspect in my eyes), Ross &amp; Boley

+ Reply to Thread