+ Reply to Thread
Page 4972 of 5517 FirstFirst ... 39724472487249224962497049714972497349744982502250725472 ... LastLast
Results 49,711 to 49,720 of 55162

Thread: Asian giant for HC

All-Pro

Re: Asian giant for HC

<P itxtvisited="1">The NFL is still eyeing a return to Mexico.</P>
    <P itxtvisited="1">Arizona and San Francisco played the NFL's first regular-season game outside the United States in Mexico in 2005, followed two years later by a game in London between Miami and the New York Giants.</P>
    <P itxtvisited="1">More trips to London have followed. On Friday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Mexico remains on the league's radar screen, noting that ``it's good for the NFL.''</P>
    <P itxtvisited="1">Goodell also says the NFL isn't choosing London over Mexico. He'd like to see games played in both cities, and later in his state-of-the-NFL session Friday, also called Japan and the Far East ``an important market'' for the league.

Good ol Goodell</P>

[quote user="listenup"]<p itxtvisited="1">The NFL is still eyeing a return to Mexico.</p>
    <p itxtvisited="1">Arizona and San Francisco played the NFL's first regular-season game outside the United States in Mexico in 2005, followed two years later by a game in London between Miami and the New York Giants.</p>
    <p itxtvisited="1">More trips to London have followed. On Friday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Mexico remains on the league's radar screen, noting that ``it's good for the NFL.''</p>
    <p itxtvisited="1">Goodell also says the NFL isn't choosing London over Mexico. He'd like to see games played in both cities, and later in his state-of-the-NFL session Friday, also called Japan and the Far East ``an important market'' for the league.

Good ol Goodell</p>[/quote]

Welcome to AGfHC listenup !!! (Don't know if I remember you here before)

Anyway, I kind of get the global advertisement that this Era of the NFL is engaged in and yet, I think or feel that it is not going to become as big a deal as "we" want it too.

Soccer and to another extent, Rugby, are just plain huge. And Basketball is steamrolling along.

Soccer, Basketball, and perhaps Boxing,&amp; Wrestling to name a few athletic sports are "poor man" sports. Specifically in the realm of Pick-Up sports, backyarding &amp; a day at the park.

here's why: basketball and soccer require one ball, a few players and either half-a-court or an open plot of land roughly rectangular. Line up some garbage cans or what have you and instant Goal Net.

Football (organized), Baseball, Hockey and other such types, require more than just a ball/puck and players, but specific equipment, helmets, pads, bats, gloves/mitts, cleats etc.

Now of course we can play flag-football, touch-football, stickball or what have you, but in general the layman can more easily get into a game of basketball or soccer.

the NFL is, in the end. a multi-billion (?) dollar industry. all-powerful here in North America, but cracking the shield of the Titanic World Football/Soccer industry is just about impossible.

My opinions of course.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

I don't think the NFL should be thumbing their noses with other countries sports. There's a reason why NFL Europe failed. If this was the first attempt ever, then I would look at it as an experiment but it's not.

So what ever did happen with our London and Mexican games? Where are the stats? Did they really gain more fans? Did they gain advertising dollars for those regular season games? Do sales show up more coming from Mexico?

This is not a north american sport, it's just a U.S. sport, I'd say Canada is the closest since they have the CFL.

Those other countries don't even think about the NFL, do they have pep rally's? Do they have pop warner? I highly doubt it. You can't just drop this sport off at any country and people will just buy into it. It's something you grow up with since you were little....it's part our culture...

Soccer isn't even a successful pro sport here in the states and we play it in high school! What makes them think the NFL is going to be successful elsewhere when they don't even play it.

I PRAY the Colts win today. PLEASE!!! Is it me or are the Saints fans really annoying? They remind me of Jets fans. They get a taste of what it's like to win and you can't shut them up....

PLEASE for the love of the sport, let the Colts win. So we can say, "Who dat? team the Colts beat?"

No one ever remembers the losing team.....

thanks for the well wishes gang

so it has to be Colts tonight right? I keep thinking it's going to be close though

[quote user="AsianGiant"]
    Soccer isn't even a successful pro sport here in the states and we play it in high school! What makes them think the NFL is going to be successful elsewhere when they don't even play it.
    [/quote]

...I think that's a premature statement.

1) the U.S is increasingly becoming more "European"

2) In the 80s a HS Soccer team or even Summer Programs were extremely rare, now, Soccer is way more commonplace = obvious growth and popularity

3) Soccer coverage on the Collegiate level is also increasing for both Men and Women

4) Soccer is exciting....once you get the definitions of the positions and begin to comprehend the premise, you'd find that soccer is similar in intensity to Hockey or Lacrosse

5) Soccer on a international level has players from just about any Country/ Nation and covering all ranges of ethnicity......definitely a Value of the Constitutional U.S I love

6) While previous Pro-Soccer organizations have flopped, the MLS is actually growing both in expansion teams as well as popularity

7) Same said MLS is also a part of the FIFA and the idea is, within a few years a developing of a tier system as is common elsewhere to determine what team represents the U.S in the World Cup

[quote user="AsianGiant"]I PRAY the Colts win today. PLEASE!!! Is it me
    or are the Saints fans really annoying? They remind me of Jets fans.
    They get a taste of what it's like to win and you can't shut them up....

PLEASE for the love of the sport, let the Colts win. So we can say, "Who dat? team the Colts beat?"

No one ever remembers the losing team.....
    [/quote]

saints = cowboys ver.2

Go Colts !!!!

Minimize Turnovers, Don't Give up the big plays, Play "your" game as you know it

thumbs down to The Who for not including Squeezebox into that medley. The crowd would have ate it up

[quote user="bansaw"]thumbs down to The Who for not including Squeezebox into that medley. The crowd would have ate it up

[/quote]

Thumbs down to that cheap *** onside kick by the Stains.

Thumbs down to that shockey TD

thumbs down to the pick 6 set up by Hargrove's fake *** injury.

My friends, I cannot comprehend the game tonite as to what has happened. I almost feel like the Giants lost the game tonite. Not only that, did anyone notice, this was a very fast game? The 2 minute warning before the 1st half, I had to take a second look. I thought it was 2 minutes ending in the 1st QUARTER! Not for the half! Very fast game...

Anyways, I really don't know what to say. The only thing that helps is I can laugh at the Chargers just a bit more. They almost had Eli, then the Giants win the SB. They actually had Brees, and now he wins the SB....

Not sure if any Charger fans are even thinking what was just in their grasp...

[quote user="AsianGiant"]My friends, I cannot comprehend the game tonite as to what has happened. I almost feel like the Giants lost the game tonite. Not only that, did anyone notice, this was a very fast game? The 2 minute warning before the 1st half, I had to take a second look. I thought it was 2 minutes ending in the 1st QUARTER! Not for the half! Very fast game...

Anyways, I really don't know what to say. The only thing that helps is I can laugh at the Chargers just a bit more. They almost had Eli, then the Giants win the SB. They actually had Brees, and now he wins the SB....

Not sure if any Charger fans are even thinking what was just in their grasp...
    [/quote]</P>

You wonder why. But, then I reviewed Brees' stats and his 2003 season was his poorest of his first 3 seasons... so they went for Eli/Rivers in the 2004 draft. Brees then proceeded to have a fabulous year in 2004, and then again in 2005 with Rivers on the bench. They offrered him a $50 mil contract, but only $2 mil in the first year, and the balance heavily based on incentives, so Drew exercised his option to pack up and go where he might be wanted more, and New Orleans stepped up.</P>

So, they essentially got Merriman and Kaeding and Rivers for Eli. Marriman has had injuries these last 2 seasons, curtailing his performance. And, Kaeding? Well, the Charger fans don't feel very happy with Kaeding right now, do they?</P>

Rivers? The jury is out. He looks very good so far, but I wouldn'twant his attitude in NY. And, better than what they already had withBrees?</P>

</P>

+ Reply to Thread