Re: Asian giant for HC

[quote user="mjg407"][quote user="AsianGiant"]Cool plane, I didn't know you owned a plane MJ?
    [/quote]haha, I thought you guys realized that when I said I was flying out for the weekend. It really makes a difference going up to see my fiancee. If I go commercial, looking at 1.5 hour drive to SAC, get there 1.5 hours before take off, 1.5 flight, then 2 hour drive out of Seattle. So a total of 6.5-7 hours, or a four hour flight right from work.[/quote]

That's very cool, it just didn't occur to me.

So let me ask you this. Educate me on planes, especially the commercial ones as to why they are
    safe? I know they ARE, but I want to know the physcial reasons why they are safe and the measures
    airliners take to assure quality parts etc....

[quote user="mjg407"][quote user="AsianGiant"][quote user="mjg407"]Yeah, must be nice to call your daddy. You know, when I'm driving the mustang, I won't even have a beer. When I've had a beer and I'm driving, I'll use the cruise control. What kind of stoopid idiot goes 100 MPH with a small pharmacy in the back?[/quote]

Not only that, I really don't beleive a Prius can go 100MPH!!!! []
    [/quote]lol, I"m sure it isn't running on battery power at that point. AG did you see my JG21 vehicle....?[/quote]

I haven't had time to chat lately, the last week has been hectic. I beleive we are almost done, knock on wood with our systems, the good news is, the systems are built to be automated(which is why it took so long) so once it's up and running, other than bugs and tweaks, the systems takes care of itself...

[quote user="mjg407"]

hahahahaha I found JG's next SUV.....</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyt6imlgLo</P>[/quote]Here you go AG. Airliners are safe because 20 years ago mechanical failures were the primary causes of accidents, today that isn't the case. We have engineered the mechanical side out of the equation, now the human side is what we concentrate on. Also, unlike your car, commercial aircraft are required by law to have periodic inspections and comply with FAA mandated safety guidlines, that and the fact that the airlines know that if their maintenance is faulty, stand by for the lawsuit. Aviation lessons learned are written in blood. The biggest problem know is the human factor problem, wether that be in maintenance or in the pilots, and that is where our training comes into play. That and most modern airliners have a good deal of automation to take the workload off of the pilots in time-critical phases.

wow that is crazy, I've never seen that....Is that actually used anywhere or just some protoype?

Anyways back to planes, so planes are made to glide right? Just like the shuttle...

So if in stormy weather you lose your only 2 engines, pilots can still fly the thing down and navigate right?

I guess my concern was that plane a couple years back near Cali when the screw for the tail was alll stripped and the plane flew upside down and crashed into the ocean...it's the unknown things like that, (stress and fatigue) that bother me....

[quote user="AsianGiant"]wow that is crazy, I've never seen that....Is that actually used anywhere or just some protoype?

Anyways back to planes, so planes are made to glide right? Just like the shuttle...

So if in stormy weather you lose your only 2 engines, pilots can still fly the thing down and navigate right?

I guess my concern was that plane a couple years back near Cali when the screw for the tail was alll stripped and the plane flew upside down and crashed into the ocean...it's the unknown things like that, (stress and fatigue) that bother me....
    [/quote]The chance of a fatality in a Commercial Carrier accident is so minute, you really do have a much greater risk of dying in your car driving on the Saw Mill. </P>

Stormy Wx - the worst would be low level wind shear - </P>

Answer - Avoid it</P>

Dual Engine failure - most likely impossible. Some aircraft glide better than others. We (USN) had an airplanes prop depart the aircraft take out the other engine, and cut the cables for the other two engines (no power). Fatalities ZERO. </P>

http://www.vpnavy.com/vp47ditch.html</P>

it's just like a mini-mall

[quote user="Crush'em Giants"]it's just like a mini-mall[/quote]</P>

living room bedrooms, dinetes.....</P>

montgomery redemption</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGPVF...ted&amp;search=</P>

[quote user="mjg407"]

[quote user="AsianGiant"]wow that is crazy, I've never seen that....Is that actually used anywhere or just some protoype?

[/quote]The chance of a fatality in a Commercial Carrier accident is so minute, you really do have a much greater risk of dying in your car driving on the Saw Mill. </p>

Stormy Wx - the worst would be low level wind shear - </p>

Answer - Avoid it</p>

Dual Engine failure - most likely impossible. Some aircraft glide better than others. We (USN) had an airplanes prop depart the aircraft take out the other engine, and cut the cables for the other two engines (no power). Fatalities ZERO. </p>

http://www.vpnavy.com/vp47ditch.html</p>[/quote]

I definitley agree about the Saw Mill part. There's very very little room for mistakes. Everytime
    I approach another car, I always zoom past it so that I am not next to anyone to avoid anyone
    or myself drifting into the other lane.

I see idiots all the time practically driving next to each other in parallel and no one even thinks
    about changing their speeds so they aren't next to each other. It's common sense to me....

So what about a planes power? Are there redundant cables throughout the plane that there is
    no central point of failure if a chord gets cut?

[quote user="AsianGiant"][quote user="mjg407"]

[/quote]The chance of a fatality in a Commercial Carrier accident is so minute, you really do have a much greater risk of dying in your car driving on the Saw Mill. </P>

Stormy Wx - the worst would be low level wind shear - </P>

Answer - Avoid it</P>

Dual Engine failure - most likely impossible. Some aircraft glide better than others. We (USN) had an airplanes prop depart the aircraft take out the other engine, and cut the cables for the other two engines (no power). Fatalities ZERO. </P>

http://www.vpnavy.com/vp47ditch.html</P>[/quote]

I definitley agree about the Saw Mill part. There's very very little room for mistakes. Everytime
    I approach another car, I always zoom past it so that I am not next to anyone to avoid anyone
    or myself drifting into the other lane.

I see idiots all the time practically driving next to each other in parallel and no one even thinks
    about changing their speeds so they aren't next to each other. It's common sense to me....

So what about a planes power? Are there redundant cables throughout the plane that there is
    no central point of failure if a chord gets cut?

[/quote]Almost all commercial aircraft have at least 2 engines. So it is pretty hard to have a dual engine failure, or like a 747 a quadruple engine failure. All commercial/military aircraft have redundant systems. A flight control malfunction (Like Alaska Air off of San Diego) is prolly the worst thing that could happen. Jet Turbofans also have an incredibly small failure rate on new aircraft, that is why 777 are certified for extended overwater flight, and they can easily fly on one engine.

Off to lunch...