All-Pro

Re: Asian giant for HC

I have a different slant on the Palin speech.</P>

It was all about "oil"</P>

You really believe drilling for oil and gas pipelines in Alaska will solve all the US problems...</P>

Reality check....Palin's husband is a British Petroleum guy.</P>

As for the speech...it was scripted before she was chosen and there were changes made to suit her background.</P>

Anyhow...speeches are fine but, pretty meaningless since they are all scripted and rehearsed and vetted. I say this about all Democrat and republican speeches. </P>

</P>

[quote user="Markroman"]

I have a different slant on the Palin speech.</p>

It was all about "oil"</p>

You really believe drilling for oil and gas pipelines in Alaska will solve all the US problems...</p>

Reality check....Palin's husband is a British Petroleum guy.</p>

As for the speech...it was scripted before she was chosen and there were changes made to suit her background.</p>

Anyhow...speeches are fine but, pretty meaningless since they are all scripted and rehearsed and vetted. I say this about all Democrat and republican speeches. </p>

</p>[/quote]

Agreed, that's why I can't wait for the debates because it's not scripted. That's when you find out what you have in a candidate.

Even with McCains's speeches being scripted, he's not very good presenting them. She's very good at it, seems natural, and so are Biden and Obama.

My only issue with Obama's plans if you notice is that a lot of them talk about giving people money.
    Like he wants to give single mothers with lower wage jobs $3,000. You can't just go out there telling people you will all get money, it doesn't work that way.

I know it's generous and sounds good and may get votes, but in practical terms it doesn't work and can have a serious domino effect that brings down the entire economy...

His plans are robbing from peter to pay paul or however that goes.....

If someone is single mother, I don't want the gov't to give her $3,000 that comes from my paycheck.

Where's my $3,000 for being responsible?

The only way that pattern works if you raise taxes. Economics shows that when you raise taxes on business, it doesn't provide a surplus to the economy. Stand by for stagflations aka Jimmy Carter. Obama's energy plan is to inflate our tires and drive slower. Doesn't do much for the airline industry. Oil, Natural Gas, Coal, Nuke.... attack the energy crisis on all fronts.

All-Pro

I look forward to the debates and hope that the media pays attention to them as much as they do the convention.</P>

So much spin it makes your head spin.</P>

I actually thought from both conventions there were few weak speeches. Having said that...it really puts pressure on McCain...it is always hard to follow a good act!</P>

I studied economicsand to be honest...no one theory works...the problems with economic models is they are dependent on keeping certain variables fixed...which is not the real world.</P>

I joke with people about all the "non sense" about free trade...there is no such thing as free trade...there are so many hidden taxes and industry subsidies.</P>

In Canada, people complain about higher fuel costs...yet most middle class people with kids went nuts and bought 4 by 4 and SUVs over the last 5-7 years. Hello! The ones who complain are often the ones causing the problem.</P>

The Canadian tar sands has potentially more oil than Saudi Arabia....the issue is finding an economical way to extract it...right now 1 barrel of oil requires 4 barrels of water for extraction. </P>

My own view is Canada and US are a great fit for solving each others issues. Which is why the Alaskan Independence movement discussed openly joining Canada at one point.</P>

[quote user="Markroman"]

I have a different slant on the Palin speech.</P>

It was all about "oil"</P>

You really believe drilling for oil and gas pipelines in Alaska will solve all the US problems...</P>

Reality check....Palin's husband is a British Petroleum guy.</P>

As for the speech...it was scripted before she was chosen and there were changes made to suit her background.</P>

Anyhow...speeches are fine but, pretty meaningless since they are all scripted and rehearsed and vetted. I say this about all Democrat and republican speeches. </P>

</P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

BALONEY!!!! You can't script a loving family like that......all obviously pleased and proud as punch of that little guy with DS. They took turns holding the baby, and the youngest little girl, was even workin' on the little guy's hair, so that he looked nice for the camera.</P>

The Palin's are obviously a very compassionate family, and "down home" folks....they are not "showy" at all.</P>

When my home page came up.....the news was all glowing for Sarah Palin.</P>

News just said that Hillary Clinton loved SP's speech....Michelle Obama hated the speech.</P>

</P>

[quote user="romohater"]Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports
    &gt; commentators so far during the Olympics that they would like
    &gt; to take back:
    &gt;
    &gt; 1. Weight-lifting commentator: 'This is Gregorieva
    &gt; from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm
    &gt; up and it was amazing.'
    &gt;
    &gt; 2. Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely
    &gt; horse and I speak from personal experience since I once
    &gt; mounted her mother.'
    &gt;
    &gt; 3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: 'I owe a lot to my parents,
    &gt; especially my mother and father.'
    &gt;
    &gt; 4. Boxing Analyst: 'Sure there have been injuries,
    &gt; and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that
    &gt; serious.'
    &gt;
    &gt; 5. Softball announcer: 'If history repeats itself, I
    &gt; should think we can expect the same thing again.'
    &gt;
    &gt; 6. Basketball analyst: 'He dribbles a lot and the
    &gt; opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all
    &gt; over their faces.'
    &gt;
    &gt; 7. At the rowing medal ceremony: 'Ah, isn't that
    &gt; nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of
    &gt; the British crew.'
    &gt;
    &gt; 8. Soccer commentator: 'Julian ****s is everywhere.
    &gt; It's like they've got eleven ****s on the
    &gt; field.'
    &gt;
    &gt; 9. Tennis commentator: 'One of the reasons Andy is
    &gt; playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife
    &gt; takes out his balls and kisses them...
    &gt; Oh my God, what have I just said?'
    [/quote]</P>

</P>

hahahahaha.....love it!!! Reminds me of when Johnny Carson was interviewing Arnold Palmer's wife. JC asked her, "So, what do you do to wish Arnold good luck before the game?" Not thinking, she said, "Oh, I kiss his balls." JC said, "Well.....I imagine that makes his putter stand up."</P>

Needless to say, Mrs. wanted to fall off the couch and die.</P>

</P>

All-Pro

Sadly...you can script a loving family like that.</P>

If you really believe that is reality...well you need to open your eyes a little.</P>

There is a hyprocrisy there that Jon Stewart nails...basically...</P>

"Media stay away from my family, my unwed pregnant teen age daughter and baby"</P>

Yet...it is okay to put them up on stage and show them off in front of millions....</P>

Is that reality...</P>

Here is a question...it is a nice family...I have three kids...who takes care of these kids...mom is governor and dad works for an oil operation...the answer...nannies... How many working class Americans can afford nannies?</P>

That is why I find this wildly amusing. It is portrayed as a nice normal all American family...but, the reality...it is an elitist family.</P>

If you have not caught on...hopefully you will.</P>

(and by the way..this applies to most political families...they are so out of touch with reality).</P>

All-Pro

If you really believe that is reality...well you need to open your eyes a little.</P>

"Media stay away from my family, my unwed pregnant teen age daughter and baby"</P>

Yet...it is okay to put them up on stage and show them off in front of millions....</P>

Is that reality...</P>

Here is a question...it is a nice family...I have three kids...who takes care of these kids...mom is governor and dad works for an oil operation...the answer...nannies... How many working class Americans can afford nannies?</P>

That is why I find this wildly amusing. It is portrayed as a nice normal all American family...but, the reality...it is an elitist family.</P>

(and by the way..this applies to most political families...they are so out of touch with reality).</P>

[quote user="Markroman"]

I look forward to the debates and hope that the media pays attention to them as much as they do the convention.</p>

So much spin it makes your head spin.</p>

I actually thought from both conventions there were few weak speeches. Having said that...it really puts pressure on McCain...it is always hard to follow a good act!</p>

I studied economicsand to be honest...no one theory works...the problems with economic models is they are dependent on keeping certain variables fixed...which is not the real world.</p>

I joke with people about all the "non sense" about free trade...there is no such thing as free trade...there are so many hidden taxes and industry subsidies.</p>

In Canada, people complain about higher fuel costs...yet most middle class people with kids went nuts and bought 4 by 4 and SUVs over the last 5-7 years. Hello! The ones who complain are often the ones causing the problem.</p>

The Canadian tar sands has potentially more oil than Saudi Arabia....the issue is finding an economical way to extract it...right now 1 barrel of oil requires 4 barrels of water for extraction. </p>

My own view is Canada and US are a great fit for solving each others issues. Which is why the Alaskan Independence movement discussed openly joining Canada at one point.</p>[/quote]

I saw a report on that. I think there are 2 major issues with the tar sands.

Like you said, it takes 4x the amount of energy(water) for 1 barrel of oil.
    And secondly, doesn't it leave a lot of sand all over the place? Didn't they try building walls but the sands just go right over it? That little town though is booming and making more than they ever did....

Although I didn't study economics, as a programmer, it makes sense that models wouldn't work because of the "fixed variables" factor.

Why can't someone just come out and say that? It would make the next person who says, "based on this model" look like an idiot....

[quote user="Markroman"]

Is that reality...</P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

Baloney.....Obama is the one that said, "I will fire anyone who has started this rumor on the internet, Candidates kids are OFF LIMITS."</P>

Sarah's husband is MORE than capable of raising their kids, while Sarah is VP. Just as there was not a better father on the planet, when Joe Biden took care of his boys, after his wife and daughter were killed in that horrible accident. </P>

</P>