Re: Asian giant for HC

[quote user="Markroman"]I think Oliver Stone is completely wacko...and I think he went wacko around the time of JFK...forget about the "conspiracy side of JFK"...it was an awesome movie...with the cuts between color and black and white and flashbacks...everytime I watch it...I pick up a different detail. The COstner monologue at the end was way over the top and destroyed that whole film...(Tommy Lee JOnes as Clay Shaw...incredible).

I thought Nixon could have been a great movie or atleast a great subject for a movie...him being one of the most complex historical figures... I thought it was a very dull dull movie.

Stone basically turns complex historical figures into one dimensional cartoon characters....

[/quote]

I liked JFK too....yes I heard his closing dialogue was over the top.....

I don't think I ever saw Nixon...I might have but it wasn't memorable enough to remember....

We'll never know, ever, about what truly happened to JFK....

All-Pro

I am starting to read a very well regarded JFK book called "JFK and the Unspeakable."

It is much different than any other JFK book I have read. It does not get into the details about the assasination as much. It spends alot of time on JFK and his foreign policy leanings and his interactions with the major players like Castro and Khruschev.

It is well written and well researched. The finger points directly (an early in the book, so I am not giving anything away) to the "out of control" or "rogue" individuals in the CIA.

Forget about any conspiracy leanings...the book gives a terrific sense over foreign policy issues then.

[quote user="Markroman"]I am starting to read a very well regarded JFK book called "JFK and the Unspeakable."

It is much different than any other JFK book I have read. It does not get into the details about the assasination as much. It spends alot of time on JFK and his foreign policy leanings and his interactions with the major players like Castro and Khruschev.

It is well written and well researched. The finger points directly (an early in the book, so I am not giving anything away) to the "out of control" or "rogue" individuals in the CIA.

Forget about any conspiracy leanings...the book gives a terrific sense over foreign policy issues then.

[/quote]

I'm already pretty aware that the CIA had something to do with it. There were battles going on between the CIA and FBI at the time....

All-Pro

What is fascinating about the book is how the CIA manipulated events and basically locked (including Hoover and the FBI) everyone around the events of the assassination where they were "involved" whether they realized or not...by the time they realized it...it was too late and had to cover up.

There was a brilliant made for TV movie on a similar note. It was based on the notion of how German officers could ever be involved in something like the Holocaust. It was based on archival documentation of meetings held where German officers were "manipulated" into "tolerating" the Final Solution by the SS. I think it was produced and starred Kenneth Branagh...a real creepy movie because it showed how a master manilpulator can "box" in decent people into agreeing to unspeakable acts.

[quote user="Markroman"]What is fascinating about the book is how the CIA manipulated events and basically locked (including Hoover and the FBI) everyone around the events of the assassination where they were "involved" whether they realized or not...by the time they realized it...it was too late and had to cover up.

There was a brilliant made for TV movie on a similar note. It was based on the notion of how German officers could ever be involved in something like the Holocaust. It was based on archival documentation of meetings held where German officers were "manipulated" into "tolerating" the Final Solution by the SS. I think it was produced and starred Kenneth Branagh...a real creepy movie because it showed how a master manilpulator can "box" in decent people into agreeing to unspeakable acts.

[/quote]

Yes, it's taking advantage of your patriotism. The honest...honorable men/women who don't question their leaders because they are soldiers, whether in the miltiary or, FBI/CIA/NSA etc....it's a horrible thing to do which is why there must be a checks and balance system. But as we can see, that doesn't work all too well....

I can totally see German officers committing suicide after finding out what they were involved in...

The holocaust is horrible and never should have happened, but I am also disappointed that I was not told the entire story of why it happened. It wasn't until after high school I learned more about it....

All-Pro

I have some Armenian friends who raise concern that history has forgotten about what was done to Armenians by Turkey (genocide around WW1)..

My grandparents came to Canada from the Ukraine after WW1...and left behind relatives who suffered through the Stalin imposed famine in the Ukraine in the 1930s which killed hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians.

I think not enough is written or taught to students about why these things are allowed to happen...and I completely agree...questionning your government or superiors is at the root of it.

Anyway...on a lighter note...Can being a Cubs fan get any worse than dominating all year and get destroyed in 3 games...

Personally...I despise the MLB playoff system...especially best of 5...all year to do well over 162 games you need deep pitching...you can win a short series with one ACE...who will get atleast 2 starts in a best of 5 and 3 in a WS...this is totally against what happens during 162 games.

[quote user="Markroman"]I have some Armenian friends who raise concern that history has forgotten about what was done to Armenians by Turkey (genocide around WW1)..

My grandparents came to Canada from the Ukraine after WW1...and left behind relatives who suffered through the Stalin imposed famine in the Ukraine in the 1930s which killed hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians.

I think not enough is written or taught to students about why these things are allowed to happen...and I completely agree...questionning your government or superiors is at the root of it.

Anyway...on a lighter note...Can being a Cubs fan get any worse than dominating all year and get destroyed in 3 games...

Personally...I despise the MLB playoff system...especially best of 5...all year to do well over 162 games you need deep pitching...you can win a short series with one ACE...who will get atleast 2 starts in a best of 5 and 3 in a WS...this is totally against what happens during 162 games.
    [/quote]

What happened to the Cubs is everything it means to be a Cubs fan. They are cursed. It was MEANT TO BE for them to dominate all season only to get SWEPT. It will continue to happen. I am glad I am not a Cubs fan, they are just not worth being a team to be a fan of....

They should probably make it 7 games throughout the entire postseason, give teams a chance to come back... and it will provide more ratings and advertising revenue.....

All-Pro

[quote user="AsianGiant"][quote user="Markroman"]I have some Armenian friends who raise concern that history has forgotten about what was done to Armenians by Turkey (genocide around WW1)..

[/quote]

What happened to the Cubs is everything it means to be a Cubs fan. They are cursed. It was MEANT TO BE for them to dominate all season only to get SWEPT. It will continue to happen. I am glad I am not a Cubs fan, they are just not worth being a team to be a fan of....

They should probably make it 7 games throughout the entire postseason, give teams a chance to come back... and it will provide more ratings and advertising revenue.....

[/quote]

I'm not a big fan of the 5 game series either. If you win the first two, you pretty much win it all. In a 7 game series nothing is ever final. Plus, having 162 games come down to just 3 put too much on those 3 games.

[quote user="Chopper"]

I'm not a big fan of the 5 game series either. If you win the first two, you pretty much win it all. In a 7 game series nothing is ever final. Plus, having 162 games come down to just 3 put too much on those 3 games.
    [/quote]

I forget who, but someone gave out a stat that if you win the first game, you have a 90% chance of winning the series. It's THAT SHORT.....make it 7....if you're going to go through the hassle of 162 games, why not make the postseason just a tad longer....

All-Pro

In a 3 game set all you need is a slump from a big hitter to end your season.