Re: Asian giant for HC

[quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="bansaw"]so I was traveling today and ended up at a small town ... poulation around 20,000. So I always have to go to the cemetaph on November 11, or at least watch the national Remembrance Day ceremony in Ottawa on TV if it's lousy weather.
    So here I am coming into this town at 10:40...knowing the ceremony is at 11 am so I park and walk to the cemetaph and there has to be 2,000 people there...I was shocked...well pleasantly shocked at the turnout. So I had a busy day so after the Last Post and the 2 minute silence I went on my way as they started laying wreaths.
    Now it's just past 11:30 and I'm pulling into an even smaller town population 2,500 and there had to be 600-1000 people out for their ceremony.
    Maybe the nice weather had some part in it but I was so Proud to see such a diverse cross section of people out today paying repects for our fallen.

LEST WE FORGET

[/quote]</p>

That's pleasantly surprising, and encouraging.</p>

Would you venture to guess at an age distribution? I'd be really encouraged to hear that there was a significant &lt; 30 showing.</p>

</p>[/quote]yes I saw lots of under 30s. Lots of young moms with their little ones too ... I thought about that driving and realized its because you come to understand what others must go through losing a child must make them come. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it

the weather was glorious today but I'm keeping faith their is a change and this trend will continue. I think the government getting the WWII vets to tell their stories now at the schools is helping, it would be awful to let that legacy disappear.

I post my Great Grandfathers poem he wrote in the trenches in WWI every year so I'll do it again. My daughter took it to school on Monday and they had her grade 6 class read it to the school at their assembly today which is nice

http://www.kingandempire.com/bradshaw1.html

(also had a new customer today and I had my Giants cap on, and first thing he said was NICE a Giants fan !! I like you already ! lol)

All-Pro

[quote user="bansaw"][quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="bansaw"]so I was traveling today and ended up at a small town ... poulation around 20,000. So I always have to go to the cemetaph on November 11, or at least watch the national Remembrance Day ceremony in Ottawa on TV if it's lousy weather.
    So here I am coming into this town at 10:40...knowing the ceremony is at 11 am so I park and walk to the cemetaph and there has to be 2,000 people there...I was shocked...well pleasantly shocked at the turnout. So I had a busy day so after the Last Post and the 2 minute silence I went on my way as they started laying wreaths.
    Now it's just past 11:30 and I'm pulling into an even smaller town population 2,500 and there had to be 600-1000 people out for their ceremony.
    Maybe the nice weather had some part in it but I was so Proud to see such a diverse cross section of people out today paying repects for our fallen.

LEST WE FORGET

[/quote]</P>

That's pleasantly surprising, and encouraging.</P>

Would you venture to guess at an age distribution? I'd be really encouraged to hear that there was a significant &lt; 30 showing.</P>

</P>

[/quote]yes I saw lots of under 30s. Lots of young moms with their little ones too ... I thought about that driving and realized its because you come to understand what others must go through losing a child must make them come. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it

the weather was glorious today but I'm keeping faith their is a change and this trend will continue. I think the government getting the WWII vets to tell their stories now at the schools is helping, it would be awful to let that legacy disappear.

<FONT color=#0000ff>I post my Great Grandfathers poem he wrote in the trenches in WWI every year</FONT> so I'll do it again. My daughter took it to school on Monday and they had her grade 6 class read it to the school at their assembly today which is nice

(also had a new customer today and I had my Giants cap on, and first thing he said was NICE a Giants fan !! I like you already ! lol)

[/quote]</P>

read that and was thinking "the" poem..</P>

i think the change in turn out is due to the on going wars of late.. its really nice to see whatever the reason.. </P>

</P>

[quote user="bansaw"][quote user="zimonami"]

LEST WE FORGET

[/quote]</P>

That's pleasantly surprising, and encouraging.</P>

Would you venture to guess at an age distribution? I'd be really encouraged to hear that there was a significant &lt; 30 showing.</P>

</P>

[/quote]yes I saw lots of under 30s. Lots of young moms with their little ones too ... I thought about that driving and realized its because you come to understand what others must go through losing a child must make them come. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it

I post my Great Grandfathers poem he wrote in the trenches in WWI every year so I'll do it again. My daughter took it to school on Monday and they had her grade 6 class read it to the school at their assembly today which is nice

[/quote]</P>

That was quite excellent. Insight only someone in the trenches could have, and he was well educated... I dare say most of today's young soldiers, and even agreat percentage of today's college gradscouldn't even spell half the words.</P>

The soldiers who are serving in Iraq or Afghanistan seem to be getting far more honor and respect than those who served in Viet Nam... those poor guys came home, having risked their lives, to a country where too many people, but mostly the younger 'hip' generation, treated them like lepers, and even as murderers.</P>

You mightquestion why your government is engaged in these conflicts, but you stillmust have due respect for the men and women who serve for us, and put their lives on the line for us without hesitation.</P>

Most of our WWII vets are gone. It's nice to see that their experiences won't be wasted with their opportunity to speak before school kids that you mentioned. Hard to realize that WWII is 65 years ago, and ancient history to our younger generation.</P>

Another thing that mitigates the proper appreciation for our soldiers is that these wars aren't waged on our own soil... so, too many people can't associate a real threat to their way of life. It's all too distant... out of sight, out of mind.</P>

Thank you for sharing, Bansaw... and a very cool way to keep your Great Grandfather's memory alive.</P>

</P>

LOL so I'm kicking the tires thinking about buying a home...I've rented since my divorce.

anyways the agent just dropped off a list we'll look at on Saturday and there is a semi on McConkey Cres LOL....never even knew the street existed []

has to be the frontrunner so far imo

[quote user="bansaw"]yes I saw lots of under 30s. Lots of young moms with their little ones too ... I thought about that driving and realized its because you come to understand what others must go through losing a child must make them come. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it

[/quote]
    Bansaw,
    Great poem, thank you for posting.

[quote user="zimonami"]

That was quite excellent. Insight only someone in the trenches could have, and he was well educated... I dare say most of today's young soldiers, and even agreat percentage of today's college gradscouldn't even spell half the words.</p>

The soldiers who are serving in Iraq or Afghanistan seem to be getting far more honor and respect than those who served in Viet Nam... those poor guys came home, having risked their lives, to a country where too many people, but mostly the younger 'hip' generation, treated them like lepers, and even as murderers.</p>

You mightquestion why your government is engaged in these conflicts, but you stillmust have due respect for the men and women who serve for us, and put their lives on the line for us without hesitation.</p>

Most of our WWII vets are gone. It's nice to see that their experiences won't be wasted with their opportunity to speak before school kids that you mentioned. Hard to realize that WWII is 65 years ago, and ancient history to our younger generation.</p>

Another thing that mitigates the proper appreciation for our soldiers is that these wars aren't waged on our own soil... so, too many people can't associate a real threat to their way of life. It's all too distant... out of sight, out of mind.</p>

Thank you for sharing, Bansaw... and a very cool way to keep your Great Grandfather's memory alive.</p>

</p>[/quote]
    Unfortunately, I feel that as we forget about the tragedies of 9-11, you find people, especially on the left coast, are becoming more intolerant and less supportive of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airman and Marines. Post 9-11 I remember showing my military ID to someone at the airport, and having them reach out and thank me for my service. Two years ago, not so much except an extra security screening by TSA.

All-Pro

[quote user="bansaw"]LOL so I'm kicking the tires thinking about buying a home...I've rented since my divorce.

anyways the agent just dropped off a list we'll look at on Saturday and there is a semi on McConkey Cres LOL....never even knew the street existed []

[/quote]lol.. i liveone street over from this one.. </P>

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;sour...15&amp;iwloc=A</P>

</P>

[quote user="mjg407"][quote user="bansaw"]yes I saw lots of under 30s. Lots of young moms with their little ones too ... I thought about that driving and realized its because you come to understand what others must go through losing a child must make them come. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it

[/quote]
    Bansaw,
    [/quote]</P>

Bansaw........great post for Veteran's Day[Y]</P>

[quote user="bansaw"]LOL so I'm kicking the tires thinking about buying a home...I've rented since my divorce.

[/quote]</P>

Hopefully it's a corner lot........on the corner of Simms and McConkey , just south of Parcels Crescent...................good luck with the house hunting</P>

[quote user="SEC105"]

[quote user="mjg407"][quote user="bansaw"]yes I saw lots of under 30s. Lots of young moms with their little ones too ... I thought about that driving and realized its because you come to understand what others must go through losing a child must make them come. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it

[/quote]
    Bansaw,
    [/quote]</p>

Bansaw........great post for Veteran's Day[Y]</p>[/quote]thanks guys

I made the mistake last year making a thread for Remembrance / Veterans Day and it turned into a flame war and troll fest so I thought I'd just leave it in here this time around []