Re: Asian giant for HC

[quote user="jmike"]Did you know it was stolen when you bought it?
    [/quote]

cute.

BMWs. Audi's, VW's and Mercedes are a dime a dozen over there.

The Nationals will put a trailer hitch on any of the above especially BMWs and Mercedes. They use them for Polizei cars, taxis you name it.

That said my Beemer, Blue, as I called her, was a 89 model so...

(stop being cute [:P])

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

All-Pro

[quote user="giantyankee1976"]My mom is "directionally challenged."
    She is a brilliant artist, musician and dancer, but the concepts of driving a car just throws her for a loop.

Me, <FONT color=#000000>I'm a late-blooming gearhead.</FONT> Loved cars all my life, but never had a guy who knew a lot about cars to take me under his wing.

So when I drive, it's part an experience part mundane.

I'm a minivan dad so my daydreams incorporate muscle cars and exotics...

While in Germany I had a BMW 3i6i (automatic) and then a Mitsubishi Lancer (manual)....

<FONT color=#0000ff><FONT size=5>The Beemer was cool cuz it was Beemer, but i TOTALLY loved my 1993 Lancer</FONT>.

</FONT>Got back to the States I picked up a Civic coupe for work...it was stolen and I'm in no position to get another "bucket" for work []

I love driving stick, to me it is the BEST way to drive because you know you're driving the machine as supposed to putting it in gear and riding it with minimal control.
    [/quote]do you have that backwards??

I saw a video the other day, I think it was a german newscast, and I saw BMW's everywhere! It's funny how they are a dime a dozen over there I suppose....

Do you think the germans lust over our american cars? Anyone paying $40-50K for a Chevy? LOL....

When I drive, I don't have tunnel vision. I pay attention to all areas around me. It's almost like driving 360 degrees.

For example if there's a car ahead of me, I don't tailgate, that is my first rule.

I also pay attention to the car in front of it, I try to see if there's traffic or if someone is going to hit the break lights in front of the car in front of me. I have avoided so many accidents when the car in front of me stopped short but I was already hitting the breaks because I looked further ahead....

If I'm in the fast lane and someone behind me is coming up fast, I move into the slow lane and let them pass. Better than to have them tailgate me which they ultimately will. My sister on the other hand doesn't get out of the way, and begins this "excuse me, you better slow down I'm not going anywhere"...

That to me is where and how we all develop road rage.... if someone wants to go faster, what's the problem?

I also NEVER take off when the light turns green. There are very rude people who will honk as soon as the light turns green, as if they have their hands on the honk waiting to piss you off....
    I don't do this because I NEVER assume that someone will not try to blow the red light last minute.
    This too has saved me. Last year a huge cadillac went flying passed me to beat the red light.

He/she almost decked the first 3 cars in a row in a 3 lane road.....

I've always thought about teaching a driving course, maybe when I hang up my I.T. days I will for the fun of it.

But the problem is, I will never want to get behind the wheel of a learning teenager!!!!

[quote user="bandwgn86"][quote user="giantyankee1976"]

<font color="#0000ff"><font size="3">The Beemer was cool cuz it was Beemer, but i TOTALLY loved my 1993 Lancer.</font>
    </font>[/quote]do you have that backwards??[/quote]

no. The Beemer was old, and automatic.

The Lancer was a quick little rabbit with a manual.

[quote user="AsianGiant"]I saw a video the other day, I think it was a german newscast, and I saw BMW's everywhere! It's funny how they are a dime a dozen over there I suppose....

Do you think the germans lust over our american cars? Anyone paying $40-50K for a Chevy? LOL....

When I drive, I don't have tunnel vision. I pay attention to all areas around me. It's almost like driving 360 degrees....
    [/quote]

To them those are not "imported"...those are domestic. I am not exagerating, I have seen c-classes pulling wagons or trailers. I've seen E-classes that are taxis.

I highly doubt they lust or like anything American, Audi is the ****e over there. Even A4s and A6s.

I prefer Mercedes over Beemers though. And Audi's over them both. (R8 anyone?)

As for your "driving techniques", to me those are mostly common sense things. I differ with you on the green light though. If I was a drag racer I'd be disqualified for creeping on yellows....

All-Pro

[quote user="giantyankee1976"][quote user="bandwgn86"][quote user="giantyankee1976"]

<FONT color=#0000ff><FONT size=3>The Beemer was cool cuz it was Beemer, but i TOTALLY loved my 1993 Lancer.</FONT>
    </FONT>[/quote]do you have that backwards??[/quote]

[/quote]wasn't it a "i".. i thought they were turbo models

[quote user="bandwgn86"][quote user="giantyankee1976"][quote user="bandwgn86"][quote user="giantyankee1976"]

<font color="#0000ff"><font size="3">The Beemer was cool cuz it was Beemer, but i TOTALLY loved my 1993 Lancer.</font>
    </font>[/quote]do you have that backwards??[/quote]

[/quote]wasn't it a "i".. i thought they were turbo models[/quote]

maybe the "newer" ones, i can ASSURE you, Blue wasn't Turbo.

'89 316I, 2 dr coupe

the Lancer "felt" quicker, though I know the 316 was pretty agile itself.

The Lancer was my first manual transmission car so I guess I have some sentimentality with it.

Again I'll stress, most of us Joes had BMWs and after a while they take on a Ford persona. It's the Mercedes and Audi's I like a lot.

I really really would like to get an Audi.

A4 or A6....but I just absolutely do not trust their reliability. I have been following Audi's for a long time now. They don't seem to have changed at all. Their reliability continues to be questionable, and their service is poor.

I checked edmunds and some other sites like audiworld forums, and I still find individuals who have issues with the newer models.

I don't understand why Audi can't get things right?

And their motto out of all things is, "Truth in Engineering"...

All-Pro

[quote user="AsianGiant"]I really really would like to get an Audi.

A4 or A6....but I just absolutely do not trust their reliability. I have been following Audi's for a long time now. They don't seem to have changed at all. Their reliability continues to be questionable, and their service is poor.

I checked edmunds and some other sites like audiworld forums, and I still find individuals who have issues with the newer models.

I don't understand why Audi can't get things right?

And their motto out of all things is, "Truth in Engineering"...
    [/quote]love the look of the Audi's.. my old boss bought a r8.. disgustingly beautiful.. </P>

never heard about the reliability issues tbh.. </P>

Hey all, well I'm in DC right now training for the new job. Be here for the next 4 weeks so I can finally catch up on posting.

[quote user="mjg407"]Hey all, well I'm in DC right now training for the new job. Be here for the next 4 weeks so I can finally catch up on posting.[/quote]

Nice to hear from you. Hope all is well and congrats on the new job. Must be a little weird to be the "new" guy eh??