All-Pro

Re: Asian giant for HC

alright maybe not Lewis Black... enjoy lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mCDZMWVWuc

I don't celebrate V-day so I am offended by it. I really do think this entire country needs to revolve around my feelings so they should really say, "Happy Heart Day"...

Veteran

[quote user="SEC105"][quote user="jmike"][quote user="SEC105"]

[quote user="giantyankee1976"][quote user="AsianGiant"][quote user="giantyankee1976"][quote user="bandwgn86"]

http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/02...rtain-classes/

heres a perfect chance for someone to step up and say enough but i don't have faith in my gov. that they'll do the right thing and say "tough, were not changing the curriculum"

and on it goes..
    [/quote]

I'm confused. They do not want their children to participate because why ?
    [/quote]

Exactly, this is a huge problem. They are hiding behind what their religion allows them to do or not do. This is not right. There are some schools that have used tax payers dollars to accommodate them for a room to wash their feet!!!
    If there was any taxpayers money to a specific room for christians, all hell would break loose!

[/quote]
    that's what's crazy. I am a Christian and I am tired of being vilified or otherwise assumed a homophobe, bigot, hypocrite and anti-muslim.

Anything we lobby for is shot down and with the quickness, but other religions seem to get passes or special accommodations.

Something stinks...
    [/quote]</p>

So we don't "offend" anybody else....what is this country coming to when our core values must be judged in a court of law? No Pledge of Allegiance [ under God], no Merry Christmas [Happy Holidays] , don't teach this in school , etc. Some people find this offensive.......so we must give in to the ideas of a few? Not so fast imo We just have to stand up and say when enough is enough</p>

This the United States of America</p>

Look , you came to THIS country and asked to join in it's greatness and Freedom.......YOU should be the one's trying to understand others [ours] beliefs</p>

Least that's the way I see it and I'm not changing........nor are many others who think like I do</p>

down fromthe soapbox now.....some of that stuff just tee's me off </p>

[/quote]

What exactly are the religious beliefs of America that everyone should understand. Frankly it is offense to one to be forced to say the pledge of allegiance that includes god in it if you don't believe. They should reword it is all.

Haven't seen anyone make Merry Christmas illegal.

Prayer in schools is a confusing thing to me. Teachers and administrators should not hold prayer time, but if a student chooses to spend a free moment in his day to pray, they should be allowed. I understand it is not, not sure how you can stop it though. Couldn't stop me from doing much worse than pray in my free time at school. Though if that is the case, why are some schools setting prayer rooms aside so muslim students can meet their prayer schedule. Doesn't make sense and since I am not in school, and do not have a child in school, I am not sure what is being "reported" is actually what is happening.
    [/quote]</p>

Or just don't say "God" when you recite the P of A..........and not make such a big deal of it</p>

Don't think there is any prayer in public school these days. This isAmerica....send you're kid to private school [Catholic , Muslim ,whatever]if it's that important to ya.....and YOU pay for it</p>

I'm Irish Catholic.......and I'm not complaining to stop playing NFLfootball on Sundays!</p>

I hope the Pope does not read this!</p>[/quote]

Then you aren't really saying it are you? You have a choice to not watch football. They used to force you to say the pledge in school. If I wanted to pray at school, no-one would have been able to stop me. They can't stop kids from dealing drugs and never could make them go to all their classes in school, seems a waste of time to try to stop them from saying grace before they eat lunch, or take a few minutes between classes to pray.

Veteran

[quote user="AsianGiant"]I don't celebrate V-day so I am offended by it. I really do think this entire country needs to revolve around my feelings so they should really say, "Happy Heart Day"...

[/quote]

Does somebody force you to celebrate it?

good stuff in here lately... worthy discussing</P>

I was in catholic Grammar school when 'under' God' was introduced. They just advised us that we'd be including those words from then on. No further discussion was had. </P>

When I went to High School, first day we were told that we'd say the P of A and that if you didn't want to say the words 'under God' you were welcome to omit those words. No further discussion was had. I noticed a few kids didn't include the words. It was no big deal and never was considered a problem, and everyone's choice of words was respected.</P>

So, where's the problem? Do, or don't... but don't exclude the words for those who want them there.</P>

Anyone else worried about what is going on in the middle east? Bahrain, Yemen, Libya? Bahrain is the most westernized of the Arab states, Yemen is ripe for an AQ takeover. Not sure if this bodes well for us and what is the underlying connection between them all.

Veteran

[quote user="zimonami"]

good stuff in here lately... worthy discussing</p>

I was in catholic Grammar school when 'under' God' was introduced. They just advised us that we'd be including those words from then on. No further discussion was had. </p>

When I went to High School, first day we were told that we'd say the P of A and that if you didn't want to say the words 'under God' you were welcome to omit those words. No further discussion was had. I noticed a few kids didn't include the words. It was no big deal and never was considered a problem, and everyone's choice of words was respected.</p>

So, where's the problem? Do, or don't... but don't exclude the words for those who want them there.</p>[/quote]

The problem is, that it seems in order to be part of the USA, you need to believe in god.

[quote user="jmike"][quote user="AsianGiant"]I don't celebrate V-day so I am offended by it. I really do think this entire country needs to revolve around my feelings so they should really say, "Happy Heart Day"...

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I was being sarcastic.

[quote user="jmike"][quote user="AsianGiant"]I don't celebrate V-day so I am offended by it. I really do think this entire country needs to revolve around my feelings so they should really say, "Happy Heart Day"...

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I was being sarcastic.

[quote user="jmike"][quote user="zimonami"]

good stuff in here lately... worthy discussing</P>

I was in catholic Grammar school when 'under' God' was introduced. They just advised us that we'd be including those words from then on. No further discussion was had. </P>

When I went to High School, first day we were told that we'd say the P of A and that if you didn't want to say the words 'under God' you were welcome to omit those words. No further discussion was had. I noticed a few kids didn't include the words. It was no big deal and never was considered a problem, and everyone's choice of words was respected.</P>

So, where's the problem? Do, or don't... but don't exclude the words for those who want them there.</P>

[/quote]

The problem is, that it seems in order to be part of the USA, you need to believe in god.
    [/quote]</P>

I don't think I agree with you, jmike. Like I said before... 1960, 1st yr of Public HS... we were told to say the words, or not, as your choice. Nobody made a fuss. No one bothered the kids that didn't include the words and no one bothered the ones that did... and life went on with everyone recognizing that there were Christians, Jews, Atheists, etc. among us, and you were free to do as you wanted.</P>

Now, just so happens that at the birth of this nation all the founding fathers, mostly Christians, agreed that belief in God was an essential part of our freedom and tenets, and God was ubiquitously included in most documents. However, there was always the separate Amendment that allowed freedom of religion. When I grew up it was understood that many had no religion and no belief in God... and that was their 'religious right'... to practice no religion. They were respected, their houses weren't bombed, they weren't tarred and feathered,and they weren't forced to ride in the back of the bus, like blacks were... most of whom were Christians. This country, in my 64 years, always respected the right of atheists to be atheists. Many of my best friends do not believe in God, and we respect each other's beliefs because our friendship is based on other common factors. But, now some non-believers want reference to God removed from our civil documents and civil buildings. No one ever forced any non-believer to believe, or made any issue of it. So, now, why should those same non-believers wish to backtrack and exclude the words relating to God just because they are there and they are suddenly insulted.... for the majority that do adhere to belief in God. Can't it be recognized and accepted by non believers that this country was founded on the Christian-Judeo belief that there is a God. Accept it, respect it, and feel free to not believe in God, as your right, and justhope they respect your non-belief, and move on to other issues like the poor, and racial profiling and hatred, and dozens of other issues that truly impact and divide people.</P>

jmike... did you ever have a friend that, once they found out that you didn't believe in God, broke your friendship for that reason? If you did, I'm sorry for that. Yet, there are people who won't accept a friend because of their color, or because they are in a lowereconomic stature. </P>