Re: Asian giant for HC

[quote user="AsianGiant"]
    ...Pounding on the podium that we must protect America's interest off shore, while our backdoor in our own home is wide open.
    [/quote]

this

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

[quote user="jmike"]My parents are both immegrants who came to this country from different places and for different reasons. But they chose this country because it allows you to be whoever you want to be. If you want to keep your culture, you are welcome here. We cannot lose that, but at the same time somebody else's need should not interfere with mine.

I believe in freedom og religion even if I am against religion as a whole. However I have an issue with something that happened at my old high school. One child was scolded in class and told not to pray because it's a public school and some such nonsense, mind you he wasn't asking others to join or anything, was saying grace before he ate his lunch.

While they have an old classroom asigned so the muslim students can pray at their appointed times. Because they have to allow them the freedom to practice what is required in their culture.

How the hell does that make sense?[/quote]

Very infuriating!! I think the way it works is that if your religion is looked upon as the "underdog" religion, you get a free pass. The majority religion (which I really don't beleive since there are a ton of muslims everywhere now) doesn't get the same protection.

If you're going to separate religion from school, then you have to adhere to that policy for all religions.

[quote user="AsianGiant"][quote user="jmike"]My parents are both immegrants who came to this country from different places and for different reasons. But they chose this country because it allows you to be whoever you want to be. If you want to keep your culture, you are welcome here. We cannot lose that, but at the same time somebody else's need should not interfere with mine.

I believe in freedom og religion even if I am against religion as a whole. However I have an issue with something that happened at my old high school. One child was scolded in class and told not to pray because it's a public school and some such nonsense, mind you he wasn't asking others to join or anything, was saying grace before he ate his lunch.

While they have an old classroom asigned so the muslim students can pray at their appointed times. Because they have to allow them the freedom to practice what is required in their culture.

How the hell does that make sense?[/quote]

Very infuriating!! I think the way it works is that if your religion is looked upon as the "underdog" religion, you get a free pass. The majority religion (which I really don't beleive since there are a ton of muslims everywhere now) doesn't get the same protection.

If you're going to separate religion from school, then you have to adhere to that policy for all religions.

[/quote]

This is an example of when being politically correct goes out of whack.

Equality for all means equality for <u>all</u>.

Veteran

I just think that if a kid wants to pray in school they should be allowed. Just because they are allowed to do it doesn't mean the school is sponsoring it. Like a kid wearing a Nickelback t-shirt from the concert he went to, he's allowed to wear it in school, doesn't mean the school is sponsoring support for Nickelback.

But I believe that people should be permitted to bring their own culture to this country and abide by it if they choose. So long as that does not interfere with anyone else doing the same.

[quote user="jmike"]I just think that if a kid wants to pray in school they should be allowed. Just because they are allowed to do it doesn't mean the school is sponsoring it. Like a kid wearing a Nickelback t-shirt from the concert he went to, he's allowed to wear it in school, doesn't mean the school is sponsoring support for Nickelback.

But I believe that people should be permitted to bring their own culture to this country and abide by it if they choose. So long as that does not interfere with anyone else doing the same.
    [/quote]

I'm not sure. Look, I don't like that they are trying to take things away from schools that I was used to doing, like the pledge of allegiance to God.

But religion is a moving target, that is the problem.

You assume that a kid should be able to practice his religion, but you are also assuming that it's nothing but a quick little prayer.

What if the religion entails the kid washing his feet before he eats? The school does not have facilities for that. Should tax payers now have to pay for that room to wash his feet?

Let's take it up the "ridiculous" notch. What if the kid has to bite off the head of a live chicken before he eats due to his religion? Surely he cannot practice such a thing....

So I think, unfortunately, the best way to resolve these matters is to simply decouple religion from school altogether.

The bible has warned about doing such a thing......but hey, 2012 is around the corner anyways...

bottomline, only 3 major religions face the most animosity.

what's in common

Abrahamic and Monotheistic...

Veteran

[quote user="AsianGiant"][quote user="jmike"]I just think that if a kid wants to pray in school they should be allowed. Just because they are allowed to do it doesn't mean the school is sponsoring it. Like a kid wearing a Nickelback t-shirt from the concert he went to, he's allowed to wear it in school, doesn't mean the school is sponsoring support for Nickelback.

[/quote]

I'm not sure. Look, I don't like that they are trying to take things away from schools that I was used to doing, like the pledge of allegiance to God.

But religion is a moving target, that is the problem.

You assume that a kid should be able to practice his religion, but you are also assuming that it's nothing but a quick little prayer.

What if the religion entails the kid washing his feet before he eats? The school does not have facilities for that. Should tax payers now have to pay for that room to wash his feet?

Let's take it up the "ridiculous" notch. What if the kid has to bite off the head of a live chicken before he eats due to his religion? Surely he cannot practice such a thing....

So I think, unfortunately, the best way to resolve these matters is to simply decouple religion from school altogether.

The bible has warned about doing such a thing......but hey, 2012 is around the corner anyways...

[/quote]

It was grace before lunch, no chicken heads. If it does not interfere with anyone else, they should be allowed. And if it involves washing feet, do it in the bathroom stall toilet with the hall pass. If it involves chicken heads, that breaks other laws so the point is moot. No accommodations should be made, but they shouldn't be told they can't if they aren't bothering others to do it.

[quote user="jmike"]

It was grace before lunch, no chicken heads. If it does not interfere with anyone else, they should be allowed. And if it involves washing feet, do it in the bathroom stall toilet with the hall pass. If it involves chicken heads, that breaks other laws so the point is moot. No accommodations should be made, but they shouldn't be told they can't if they aren't bothering others to do it.
    [/quote]

ahhh....but they cannot use toilets to wash their feet. A separate clean room must be accommodated by the taxpayers....because you know, we are Americans, and want to make others feel welcomed!

Wait, is that cross I see on your necklace? You better take that off before we suspend you for a week. Don't you know you can't be carrying that taboo cross around these neck of the woods!

<u><span class="inside-head">Some say schools giving Muslims special treatment</span></u>

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-schools_N.htm

excerpt:

Some public schools and universities are granting Muslim requests for
    prayer times, prayer rooms and ritual foot baths, prompting a debate on
    whether Islam is being given preferential treatment over other
    religions.

What was that again about separating religion from schools?

Once you open up the pandora's box of "accomodation", you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

It's the "camel nose in the tent" syndrome". For those who may not know what that is, here's the story.

<p align="left"><font color="#330000" face="Verdana" size="3">
    One cold night, as an Arab sat in his tent, a camel gently thrust his nose under the flap and looked in.
    "Master," he said, "let me put my nose in your tent. It's cold and stormy out here." "By all means," said
    the Arab, "and welcome" as he turned over and went to sleep.
    </font></p>

<font color="#330000" face="Verdana" size="3">
    A little later the Arab awoke to find that the camel had not only put his nose in the tent but his head and
    neck also. The camel, who had been turning his head from side to side, said, "I will take but little more
    room if I place my forelegs within the tent. It is difficult standing out here." "Yes, you may put your
    forelegs within," said the Arab, moving a little to make room, for the tent was small.
    </font></p><font color="#330000" face="Verdana" size="3">
    Finally, the camel said, "May I not stand wholly inside? I keep the tent open by standing as
    I do." "Yes, yes," said the Arab. "Come wholly inside. Perhaps it will be better for both of us." So the
    camel crowded in. The Arab with difficulty in the crowded quarters again went to sleep. When he woke up
    the next time, he was outside in the cold and the camel had the tent to himself.
    </font>

[quote user="AsianGiant"][quote user="jmike"]

[/quote]

ahhh....but they cannot use toilets to wash their feet. A separate clean room must be accommodated by the taxpayers....because you know, we are Americans, and want to make others feel welcomed!

Wait, is that cross I see on your necklace? You better take that off before we suspend you for a week. Don't you know you can't be carrying that taboo cross around these neck of the woods!

<U><SPAN class=inside-head>Some say schools giving Muslims special treatment</SPAN></U>

excerpt:

Some public schools and universities are granting Muslim requests for prayer times, prayer rooms and ritual foot baths, prompting a debate on whether Islam is being given preferential treatment over other religions.

Once you open up the pandora's box of "accomodation", you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

It's the "camel nose in the tent" syndrome". For those who may not know what that is, here's the story.

<P align=left><FONT color=#330000 size=3 face=Verdana>One cold night, as an Arab sat in his tent, a camel gently thrust his nose under the flap and looked in. "Master," he said, "let me put my nose in your tent. It's cold and stormy out here." "By all means," said the Arab, "and welcome" as he turned over and went to sleep. </FONT></P>

<FONT color=#330000 size=3 face=Verdana>A little later the Arab awoke to find that the camel had not only put his nose in the tent but his head and neck also. The camel, who had been turning his head from side to side, said, "I will take but little more room if I place my forelegs within the tent. It is difficult standing out here." "Yes, you may put your forelegs within," said the Arab, moving a little to make room, for the tent was small. </FONT></P>

<FONT color=#330000 size=3 face=Verdana>Finally, the camel said, "May I not stand wholly inside? I keep the tent open by standing as I do." "Yes, yes," said the Arab. "Come wholly inside. Perhaps it will be better for both of us." So the camel crowded in. The Arab with difficulty in the crowded quarters again went to sleep. When he woke up the next time, he was outside in the cold and the camel had the tent to himself. </FONT>
    [/quote]</P>

Good stuff. </P>

It should be as simple as separation of church and state.</P>

Veteran

[quote user="AsianGiant"][quote user="jmike"]

[/quote]

<u><span class="inside-head">Some say schools giving Muslims special treatment</span></u>

excerpt:

Some public schools and universities are granting Muslim requests for
    prayer times, prayer rooms and ritual foot baths, prompting a debate on
    whether Islam is being given preferential treatment over other
    religions.

<p align="left"><font color="#330000" face="Verdana" size="3">
    One cold night, as an Arab sat in his tent, a camel gently thrust his nose under the flap and looked in.
    "Master," he said, "let me put my nose in your tent. It's cold and stormy out here." "By all means," said
    the Arab, "and welcome" as he turned over and went to sleep.
    </font></p>

<font color="#330000" face="Verdana" size="3">
    A little later the Arab awoke to find that the camel had not only put his nose in the tent but his head and
    neck also. The camel, who had been turning his head from side to side, said, "I will take but little more
    room if I place my forelegs within the tent. It is difficult standing out here." "Yes, you may put your
    forelegs within," said the Arab, moving a little to make room, for the tent was small.
    </font></p><font color="#330000" face="Verdana" size="3">
    Finally, the camel said, "May I not stand wholly inside? I keep the tent open by standing as
    I do." "Yes, yes," said the Arab. "Come wholly inside. Perhaps it will be better for both of us." So the
    camel crowded in. The Arab with difficulty in the crowded quarters again went to sleep. When he woke up
    the next time, he was outside in the cold and the camel had the tent to himself.
    </font>

[/quote]

If they can't use what is already provided then they are screwed. It really isn't complicated. If you can observe your religion without interfering with anyone else and without costing the school/taxpayers money then fine. If you need special accommodations, go to private school. I don't see the difference between taking a couple of seconds to say grace before you eat lunch and reading the sports page at your lunch break. Neither bothers anyone, requires the school to provide anything or interferes with education in any way. Same can be held true for all religions. Do it on your time, bother no-one else.