+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

Article on Jerry Reese's drafting style

This is an article that talks more in depth about Reese's picks based on his draft history.

http://www.footballnation.com/conten...sophy/13877/2/

I've also added an article about James Hanna on of the sleepers that the article talks about.

http://whenlarrymetmagic.wordpress.c...e-james-hanna/

Re: Article on Jerry Reese's drafting style

Good article!!!!! And the point is . . . . only Reese knows! One thing for sure, he will stay with what works. They always do.

LINK TO ARTICLE

Veteran

The article supports the idea that reese ignores need first few rounds and looks to get a potential star no matter the position - which is why its almost impossible to predict a giants draft.

I suppose you need to mock their first two round based on talent ALONE - then see if that leaves them in need and mock that in round 3-5 and then back to talent in 6 and especially 7 or raw intangibles/ combine results.

[quote user="dave56dj"]The article supports the idea that reese ignores need first few rounds and looks to get a potential star no matter the position - which is why its almost impossible to predict a giants draft.

I suppose you need to mock their first two round based on talent ALONE - then see if that leaves them in need and mock that in round 3-5 and then back to talent in 6 and especially 7 or raw intangibles/ combine results.
    [/quote]

And it also supports the mediocre draft grades every year, by the so called experts. They grade on needs that were filled, and always slight the Giants draft. But if they were to go back after the year was out and grade the draft, the Giants would be consistently on top because of the production and depth.

Veteran

[quote user="Breezely"][quote user="dave56dj"]The article supports the idea that reese ignores need first few rounds and looks to get a potential star no matter the position - which is why its almost impossible to predict a giants draft.

[/quote]

And it also supports the mediocre draft grades every year, by the so called experts. They grade on needs that were filled, and always slight the Giants draft. But if they were to go back after the year was out and grade the draft, the Giants would be consistently on top because of the production and depth.[/quote]

true but most draft experts gave us a great grade last year. the crazy thing is that we basically have 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks this year because of the injuries to prince and austin! if Reese can nail this draft the giants will be very successful for the next decade.

All-Pro

Exactly the way I would like him to draft. BPA in the 1st and 2nd rounds. You never know when a position of strength can get a dent. Then you have a BPA fill that hole.

Reese's pieces are what makes this team work. His drafts have been great.

In Reese We Trust.

I have to disagree with the article.

I dont see how the giants have drafted just BPA in the first two rounds at all.

Every player theyve taken in the first few rounds also fills a need.

Its always been a combination of need and value at every pick they have.

Reese is actually underrated. What other GM's had to deal with valuable 3rd round pick getting in a horrific car accident and may not play again and not to mention a 2nd round pick Austin who didn't play the whole season.

All-Pro

[quote user="slipknottin"]I have to disagree with the article.

I dont see how the giants have drafted just BPA in the first two rounds at all.

Every player theyve taken in the first few rounds also fills a need.

Its always been a combination of need and value at every pick they have.[/quote]

JPP, Austin, Prince were all BPA picks. We didn't need a DE, we didn't need a DT, we didn't need a CB. At the time, those were BPA picks.

When BPA collides with obvious need being filled.....that is when draft grades go to ***** (five stars)