+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article on Jerry Reese's drafting style

Re: Article on Jerry Reese's drafting style

Jerry has to look down the road also.... such as three years from now will that guard be worth another contract

[quote user="TuckYou"]

JPP, Austin, Prince were all BPA picks. We didn't need a DE, we didn't need a DT, we didn't need a CB. At the time, those were BPA picks.[/quote]

I disagree. All of them were needs, you cant only consider needs that season, but needs going forward.

Giants had a contract dispute with Osi, Kiwi was injured. They had just Tolly and Tuck as players. Going forward, Osi was 30, Kiwi was 29, Tuck 28 and always banged up.

DT at the time they only had 2 players under contract, later they brought Bernard back under contract, and added a couple other bodies.

CB they had T2, Ross and CWeb. Cweb is 30, Ross was never reliable at all, and T2 was approaching FA where had he stayed healthy, may have priced himself right off the team.

All those picks were both need and BPA

All-Pro

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="TuckYou"]

JPP, Austin, Prince were all BPA picks. We didn't need a DE, we didn't need a DT, we didn't need a CB. At the time, those were BPA picks.[/quote]

I disagree. All of them were needs, you cant only consider needs that season, but needs going forward.

Giants had a contract dispute with Osi, Kiwi was injured. They had just Tolly and Tuck as players. Going forward, Osi was 30, Kiwi was 29, Tuck 28 and always banged up.

DT at the time they only had 2 players under contract, later they brought Bernard back under contract, and added a couple other bodies.

CB they had T2, Ross and CWeb. Cweb is 30, Ross was never reliable at all, and T2 was approaching FA where had he stayed healthy, may have priced himself right off the team.

All those picks were both need and BPA[/quote]

Going into last years draft, I thought of CB as our greatest need

[quote user="slipknottin"]I have to disagree with the article.

I dont see how the giants have drafted just BPA in the first two rounds at all.

Every player theyve taken in the first few rounds also fills a need.

Its always been a combination of need and value at every pick they have.[/quote]

+1 [b]

Reese seems to use this philosophy with the first two rounds of the draft and starts with his projects/desires in the 3rd.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="TuckYou"][quote user="slipknottin"]I have to disagree with the article.

I dont see how the giants have drafted just BPA in the first two rounds at all.

Every player theyve taken in the first few rounds also fills a need.

Its always been a combination of need and value at every pick they have.[/quote]

In 2010, the consensus BPA at our pick was Iupati (OG). We took JPP instead.

In 2011 Marvin Austin was NOT BPA ... he filled a need with Cofield leaving (and a lot of discussion about Canty and/or Bernard being a cap casualty in 2011). If anything Austin was more of a reach/project considering he had been out of football for a year at that point.

Prince was BPA sure ... but had he been a QB we wouldn't have drafted him. We only drafted him because he was BPA *AND* a need (not to mention a highly coveted position).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

+ Reply to Thread