+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Offensive line

Offensive line

Our defense will get better next year with the returns from injury. Just think, Austin, T2, and Goff being added to our lineup will be huge. Also the other CBs who showed promise. Our young linebackers are going to improve with experience, and aren't that far off.
    My concern is the offense. If we can't run effectively and can't keep the rush off Eli,we are in trouble. I hope either through the draft, trade possibilities, or free agency we make a valient effort to beef us up.

Re: Offensive line

Couldn't run effectively or keep the rush off Eli last season and it worked out ok.

Veteran

[quote user="Flip Empty"]Couldn't run effectively or keep the rush off Eli last season and it worked out ok.[/quote]

Until Eli gets hurt and our season goes up in flames

Veteran

Let's keep playing roulette until Eli gets injured.

[quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="Flip Empty"]Couldn't run effectively or keep the rush off Eli last season and it worked out ok.[/quote]

Until Eli gets hurt and our season goes up in flames[/quote]
    Of course. I'm not saying it isn't important (I've been screaming at them to upgrade since that game vs Indy a couple of years ago), I'm just pointing out that it's not the be-all and end-all in deciding a team's chance at success. People keep saying that it absolutely needs an upgrade if they want to have a chance at winning, yet the season just gone is proof that that's not the case.

Veteran

[quote user="Flip Empty"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="Flip Empty"]Couldn't run effectively or keep the rush off Eli last season and it worked out ok.[/quote]

Until Eli gets hurt and our season goes up in flames[/quote]
    Of course. I'm not saying it isn't important (I've been screaming at them to upgrade since that game vs Indy a couple of years ago), I'm just pointing out that it's not the be-all and end-all in deciding a team's chance at success. People keep saying that it absolutely needs an upgrade if they want to have a chance at winning, yet the season just gone is proof that that's not the case.[/quote]

No you're right we will be a good team either way. I just look at the SF playoff game for example...Our o-line got destroyed in that game, Eli got destroyed, and we basically won the game with special teams. I don't want to see us have to play a game like that again.

Our o-line is the glaring weakness of the team now. Teams can look at that and say "OK, they have no running game, let's throw a ton of DBs out there, double Nicks and Cruz, pressure Eli with 4 all day and dare them to run." If we fix that one problem, that all goes away and we have no major weakness.

Start Mitch Petrus

petrus and boothe both showed us a lot last season, along with them we will prob draft some oline this year, add Brewer to the mix (which we were told was a project with lots of upside from day one) and we could be set on the line for years

[quote user="Kingb50"]Start Mitch Petrus[/quote]
    completely agree

I agree too