+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Top Ten Things The Super Bowl Win Made Us Forget

The New York Giants have won the Super Bowl!!!

Our elation over the Giants supremacy has caused some of us fans to get a litte foggy when it comes to remembering what 2011 really was for the Giants. Here are the top 10 Things we forgot because afterall who cares? ... WE WON THE ****ING SUPERBOWL!!!

10) Ei Manning Is Not An elite quarterback.

This one isn't really fair since its less that we forgot and more that the notion was debunked by the Elite one himself.

It makes my list because the events of 2011 have lead to revisionist history from some fans. How many times have we heard "I never said Eli was bad. I just said he was PLAYING bad." I guess you forgot.

For sheer lack of crow eating by some fans on this subject I'm installing it at number 10.

9) Brandon Jacobs said he wouldn't be back in 2012

A Super Bowl wins cures all and it made us forget that Brandon Jacobs was jumping up and down this season saying he wasn't getting enough carries and that both he and Bradshaw Weren't "being used correctly". He finished his trantrum off with a declaration that he wouldn't be back in 2012. A self-fulfilling prophecy perhaps?

8) The Giants won a mere 9 games in 2011.

It's not so much that we've forgotten as much as we've looked the other way. The win at the dance makes it easy not to dwell on the fact that Christmas came early for the Giants in the form of elimination games starting in week 16.

Many will point to our brutal schedule but I'd remind those folks that our seven losses include a loss at home to the Seahawks and two losses to the Redskins (Who are coached by a crack addict)

7) David Baas was a terrible Free Agent Signing.

The man got big time money to come play center for us and was supposed to be a major upgrade on oft-injured Shaun O'Hara but it never panned out. The Giants struggled to earn any positive yards on the ground with him in the lineup and Eli was running for his life on many occassions. Ironically the O-line improved when he left the lineup due to injury.

Some people think he'll get better with more experience in the offense but I'm gonna say that if you can't move another man against his will...well you can't move another man against his will regardless of how familiar you are with the offense. Total bust but the 10 table stunna has blinded us to the fact.

6) The Giants had an inconsistent pass rush.

I know we all forgot about this little factoid. The Giants pass rush was so ineffective at times during the season that Perry Fewell was actually hooping and hollering and using highly colorful language in an attempt to motive the pass rush.
    "injuries" and laziness were to blame.

The Super Bowl victory made us forget that it actually took Michael Strahan climbing down from FOX studios on Mount Olympus to get the guys to actually play.

5) Our Linebackers are pretty bad.

Michael Boley was a pleasant suprise this year. He was flying all over the place making plays but the same really couldn't be said for the other guys in that unit. A couple of nicks and cuts and we're calling up guys to come play linebacker off the street. Its been an issue for years but it seemed to come to a head in 2011. Win a Super Bowl in spite of that fact and "hey linebackers aren't important in a 4-3 anyway"

4) All of the players lost to free agency.

Barring a few fans who for some reason insist on living in the past every single guy we lost this past off-season and cried about is totally forgotten due to a Super Bowl win.

We're all actually chuckling to ourselves because all of those guys left the Giants for better money and worse situations. Hey fellas, we won the big one without ya!

3) Osi waited to have sugery.

The Super Bowl win and Osi's contributions there in erase memories of number 72 standing around with sweatpants on grinning from ear to ear while the rest of his teammates were working to get better.

A short hold out and last minute sugery kept him out of the early part of the season when he could have had that procedure at any point during the off season and not missed a game. But what the hell. We won the superbowl so all is forgotten.

2) Tom Coughlin was on the hot seat (Again)

Maybe we just wish we could forget this one.

Afterall its hard to call yourself a knowlegeable fan when everytime you demand the coach be removed he turns around and delivers a ring.

But indeed Coughlin was once again precieved to be coaching for his job in 2011. If he was really coaching for his job he answered the bell and is now on the holy ground only breached by the great Bill Parcells.

1) We hate Kevin Gilbride.

As I type this I can't remember why we disliked this man so much. Oh wait.. Now I remember.

His playcalling is predictable and it actually downgrades in the GreenZone to pathetic.

He runs the same play every time we need a two point conversion.

Buddy Ryan punched him in the face so its embarassing that he's on our coaching staff.

Annnnnd...He's got a mustache. Everyone knows guys with bushy mustaches are creepy.

But our second championship in 4 years has cleaned his slate. His sight adjustment offense is no longer complicated but ingenious instead and he is now directly responsible for the maturation (I hate that word) Of Eli Manning.

The memory is funny thing.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Re: Top Ten Things The Super Bowl Win Made Us Forget

Re: #8 (winning only 9 games)

I look at it as retribution for going 10-6 and missing the playoffs in 2010. It evened out.

I think you should add a bit about how terrible our O-line is, it's amazing we won a Super Bowl with a line that needs immediate destruction.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Veteran

[quote user="burier"] who cares? ... WE WON THE ****ING SUPERBOWL!!!
    [/quote]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

All-Pro

some havent forgotten as well as others []

The Pass rush had trouble because of injuries. Amazing that even though they have all these ends there was still a good 10 games where they could of used another guy

[quote user="burier"]The New York Giants have won the Super Bowl!!!

Our elation over the Giants supremacy has caused some of us fans to get a litte foggy when it comes to remembering what 2011 really was for the Giants. Here are the top 10 Things we forgot because afterall who cares? ... WE WON THE ****ING SUPERBOWL!!!

10) Ei Manning Is Not An elite quarterback.

This one isn't really fair since its less that we forgot and more that the notion was debunked by the Elite one himself.

It makes my list because the events of 2011 have lead to revisionist history from some fans. How many times have we heard "I never said Eli was bad. I just said he was PLAYING bad." I guess you forgot.

For sheer lack of crow eating by some fans on this subject I'm installing it at number 10.

9) Brandon Jacobs said he wouldn't be back in 2012

A Super Bowl wins cures all and it made us forget that Brandon Jacobs was jumping up and down this season saying he wasn't getting enough carries and that both he and Bradshaw Weren't "being used correctly". He finished his trantrum off with a declaration that he wouldn't be back in 2012. A self-fulfilling prophecy perhaps?

8) The Giants won a mere 9 games in 2011.

It's not so much that we've forgotten as much as we've looked the other way. The win at the dance makes it easy not to dwell on the fact that Christmas came early for the Giants in the form of elimination games starting in week 16.

Many will point to our brutal schedule but I'd remind those folks that our seven losses include a loss at home to the Seahawks and two losses to the Redskins (Who are coached by a crack addict)

7) David Baas was a terrible Free Agent Signing.

The man got big time money to come play center for us and was supposed to be a major upgrade on oft-injured Shaun O'Hara but it never panned out. The Giants struggled to earn any positive yards on the ground with him in the lineup and Eli was running for his life on many occassions. Ironically the O-line improved when he left the lineup due to injury.

Some people think he'll get better with more experience in the offense but I'm gonna say that if you can't move another man against his will...well you can't move another man against his will regardless of how familiar you are with the offense. Total bust but the 10 table stunna has blinded us to the fact.

6) The Giants had an inconsistent pass rush.

I know we all forgot about this little factoid. The Giants pass rush was so ineffective at times during the season that Perry Fewell was actually hooping and hollering and using highly colorful language in an attempt to motive the pass rush.
    "injuries" and laziness were to blame.

The Super Bowl victory made us forget that it actually took Michael Strahan climbing down from FOX studios on Mount Olympus to get the guys to actually play.

5) Our Linebackers are pretty bad.

Michael Boley was a pleasant suprise this year. He was flying all over the place making plays but the same really couldn't be said for the other guys in that unit. A couple of nicks and cuts and we're calling up guys to come play linebacker off the street. Its been an issue for years but it seemed to come to a head in 2011. Win a Super Bowl in spite of that fact and "hey linebackers aren't important in a 4-3 anyway"

4) All of the players lost to free agency.

Barring a few fans who for some reason insist on living in the past every single guy we lost this past off-season and cried about is totally forgotten due to a Super Bowl win.

We're all actually chuckling to ourselves because all of those guys left the Giants for better money and worse situations. Hey fellas, we won the big one without ya!

3) Osi waited to have sugery.

The Super Bowl win and Osi's contributions there in erase memories of number 72 standing around with sweatpants on grinning from ear to ear while the rest of his teammates were working to get better.

A short hold out and last minute sugery kept him out of the early part of the season when he could have had that procedure at any point during the off season and not missed a game. But what the hell. We won the superbowl so all is forgotten.

2) Tom Coughlin was on the hot seat (Again)

Maybe we just wish we could forget this one.

Afterall its hard to call yourself a knowlegeable fan when everytime you demand the coach be removed he turns around and delivers a ring.

But indeed Coughlin was once again precieved to be coaching for his job in 2011. If he was really coaching for his job he answered the bell and is now on the holy ground only breached by the great Bill Parcells.

1) We hate Kevin Gilbride.

As I type this I can't remember why we disliked this man so much. Oh wait.. Now I remember.

His playcalling is predictable and it actually downgrades in the GreenZone to pathetic.

He runs the same play every time we need a two point conversion.

Buddy Ryan punched him in the face so its embarassing that he's on our coaching staff.

Annnnnd...He's got a mustache. Everyone knows guys with bushy mustaches are creepy.

But our second championship in 4 years has cleaned his slate. His sight adjustment offense is no longer complicated but ingenious instead and he is now directly responsible for the maturation (I hate that word) Of Eli Manning.

The memory is funny thing.[/quote]

You left out two important issues:

1. The lockout
    2. The injuries

http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

10) Eli is Elite...

9) Jacobs still may be back. He was asking Tolbert money, which was grossly underpaid. He'll come to the realization that he has to take what we give him

8) Regular season is only for getting in the playoffs and fantasy football. If 9 wins gets you in, then thats all that matters. The fact that its 9 wins, doesn't matter.

7) One year with no offseason, with a new team, and injured most of the year - jury is out. Way too early to tell if he sucks

6) Only time the Giants pass rush was inconsistent was due to injuries. It was pretty consistent when healthy. If you want to say we had a banged up pass rush for parts of the season, that would be fair.

5) Our LBers are fine. Time to let it go. A bunch of young guys progressing. Boley had a great year for us, JWill is developing, we should get Goff back, and Kiwi had an outstanding year for us as a 1-2 LBer.

4) true. But still, u cna't fault Smith or Boss for leaving. Boss got grossly overpaid and Smith went for what could of been his last shot at decent money and a shot to play

3) We'll start remembering Osi soon when he either gets a new deal or starts *****ing about one.

2) TC was on the hot seat and deserved to be. I said it from week 1, it will take 2 playoff wins or a bye and a playoff win to keep his job. Besides this year obviously, since hte 07 superbowl this team has underacheived.

1) Gilbride has had some questionable play calls, but i'll eat crow. I'm happy hes our guy now. Going around to toher teams message boards, we are all armchair OCs. Nobody likes thier OC. I've learned my lesson.
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

Port St. Lucie, FL (originally from Avenel, NJ)

Hey...............MY moustache is pretty bushy.

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]

10) Eli is Elite...

9) Jacobs still may be back. He was asking Tolbert money, which was grossly underpaid. He'll come to the realization that he has to take what we give him

8) Regular season is only for getting in the playoffs and fantasy football. If 9 wins gets you in, then thats all that matters. The fact that its 9 wins, doesn't matter.

7) One year with no offseason, with a new team, and injured most of the year - jury is out. Way too early to tell if he sucks

6) Only time the Giants pass rush was inconsistent was due to injuries.* It was pretty consistent when healthy. If you want to say we had a banged up pass rush for parts of the season, that would be fair.

5) Our LBers are fine. Time to let it go. A bunch of young guys progressing. Boley had a great year for us, JWill is developing, we should get Goff back, and Kiwi had an outstanding year for us as a 1-2 LBer.

4) true. But still, u cna't fault Smith or Boss for leaving. Boss got grossly overpaid and Smith went for what could of been his last shot at decent money and a shot to play

3) We'll start remembering Osi soon when he either gets a new deal or starts *****ing about one.

2) TC was on the hot seat and deserved to be. I said it from week 1, it will take 2 playoff wins or a bye and a playoff win to keep his job.* Besides this year obviously, since hte 07 superbowl this team has underacheived.

1) Gilbride has had some questionable play calls, but i'll eat crow. I'm happy hes our guy now.* Going around to toher teams message boards, we are all armchair OCs.* Nobody likes thier OC.* I've learned my lesson.
    [/quote]

Yeah definately Jacobs could be back.

the 9 wins doesnt matter if you make the playoffs. But we will agree that 9 wins won't get you in most seasons. Also 9 wins does matter when you're evaluating the team from a less than homeristic vantage point. 7 losses means there's major room from improvememnt.

Jury isn't out on Baas. He sucks. JR skrewed the pooch. He can't move anyone and that will only change with the aid of performance enhancing drugs.

Banged up pass rush? I mean Tuck and Osi got back in the lineup and the rush got worse.

Osi missed some games with the ankle but the pass rush was actually peaking during that time.

Tuck was "banged up" all year but even he said that someone close to him told him to cut the crap and play better....and he did. Usually someone who is genuinely hurt isn't healed by a pep-talk.

Agree to disagree about the linebackers.

Not faulting those guys for leaving. Just making an observation.

Agree on Gilbride. I wanted that guy gone after 2010...So I'll take a slice of that crow.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Great post.

I'm So happy we won the Superbowl...but I'm tired of hearing from all you schmucks everytime someone complains about losing a player to FA or not signing a particular player that...."oh don't worry we won the Superbowl without linebackers, o line, a running game, and with a schmuck offensive coordinator"

Our 9-7 record proves that although we did manager to win it all....we only had 9 wins because there is much need for improvement (and of course injuries killed us).

P.s. I don't agree with your #10. Eli is elite!