+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

***NFL SUSPENDS SAINTS' COACH PAYTON FOR ONE YEAR WITHOUT PAY***

NFL SUSPENDS SAINTS' COACH PAYTON FOR ONE YEAR WITHOUT PAY

"The NFL announced Wednesday that New Orleans Saints coach Sean
    Payton will be suspended for one season without pay for his involvement in the
    team's bounty program. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis has been suspended
    for eight games. Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been suspended
    indefinitely.<div id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_91" class="articleText">

The team has also been fined $500,000 and will have to give up its
    second-round picks in the 2012 and 2013 NFL Drafts.</p>

In addition, Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt has been suspended without
    pay for the first six games of the 2012 season.</p>

Payton's suspension is without pay. It will begin April 1. Loomis' suspension
    will be for the first eight games of the 2012 season.</p>

The NFL revealed March 2 the findings of a lengthy investigation into <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_303" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d82757bcd" target="_blank">a Saints
    "bounty" program</a> that gave thousands of dollars in payoffs to players for
    hits that knocked opponents out of games. The program, administered by
    then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, reached its height in 2009, the
    season the Saints won the Super Bowl.</p>

The program ran in violation of league rules, and the investigation showed
    that Saints players received $1,500 for a "knockout" hit and $1,000 for a
    "cart-off" hit, with payouts doubling or tripling during the team's three
    playoff appearances.</p>

The NFL Players Association formally requested that <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_304" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8279982a" target="_blank">the league not
    punish the 22 to 27 players</a> it cited in the scandal until the union had
    completed its independent investigation, which is underway, an NFLPA source told
    NFL.com's Steve Wyche.</p>

The league initially did not respond to the union's request. The <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_305" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d827a3a02">NFL told the NFLPA last
    Thursday</a>, according to SI.com, that it was free to question any current or
    former Saints officials about the matter, but that it would not delay announcing
    its own decisions.</p>

"We have given your requests careful consideration, and have concluded that
    there is no basis for delaying the imposition of any discipline in this matter,
    and particularly not as it may apply to a club or any non-player employee of a
    club," NFL attorney Jeff Pash wrote in the letter to union general counsel
    Richard Berthelsen on Wednesday. "Any disciplinary action affecting any player
    would be imposed only in a manner consistent with our Collective Bargaining
    Agreement. As you know, the sole authority to investigate and impose discipline
    in this matter rests with the Commissioner."</p>

Williams, now defensive coordinator of the Rams, has admitted to and
    apologized for running the program.</p>

Saints head coach Sean Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis also were
    implicated in the scandal, and they released a statement March 6 in which <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1332349600015_306" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8276b3b6">they took full
    responsibility</a> for the violations.</p>

"We acknowledge that the violations disclosed by the NFL during their
    investigation of our club happened under our watch. We take full responsibility.
    This has brought undue hardship on (owner Tom) Benson, who had nothing to do
    with this activity. He has been nothing but supportive and for that we both
    apologize to him.</p>

"These are serious violations and we understand the negative impact it has
    had on our game. Both of us have made it clear within our organization that this
    will never happen again, and make that same promise to the NFL and most
    importantly to all of our fans."</p>

SAINTS' SEAN PAYTON SUSPENDED FOR YEAR, RAMS' GREGG WILLIAMS BANNED INDEFINITELY FOR INVOLVEMENT IN "BOUNTY PROGRAM"
    </p>

"The NFL has suspended New Orleans head coach Sean Payton for the 2012 season,
    and former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is banned from the league
    indefinitely because of the team's bounty program that targeted opposing
    players.</p><div class="entry-content">

Commissioner Roger Goodell will review Williams' status after the upcoming
    season and consider whether he can return to the league.</p>

Also today, Goodell suspended Saints general manager Mickey Loomis for the
    first eight regular-season games of 2012, and assistant coach Joe Vitt has to
    sit out the first six games.</p>

In addition, the Saints are being fined $500,000 and forfeit second-round
    draft picks this year and in 2013."</p></div></div>
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: ***NFL SUSPENDS SAINTS' COACH PAYTON FOR ONE YEAR WITHOUT PAY***

The loss of pay won't ruin Payton financially, but what, if anything, does this do to his reputation and future?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

How about those apples.

I hope Coughlin takes a stand against this crap and any and all things else that can bring this type of shame against the organization.We don't need this type of press,that being said I hope we haven't engaged in this type of junk,and I still say it's good for the Saints,can't stand these clowns,been in the league for years and has been known for being losers,they have had a couple of good seasons and now they think they s*** don't stink.Congratulations to all who dats,cheaters never prosper.If I was Goodell I would have taken their SB Title back cheating *******s.

[quote user="cornerback30"]<font color="#0000FF">I hope Coughlin takes a stand against this crap and</font> any and all things else that can bring this type of shame against the organization.We don't need this type of press,that being said I hope we haven't engaged in this type of junk,and I still say it's good for the Saints,can't stand these clowns,been in the league for years and has been known for being losers,they have had a couple of good seasons and now they think they s*** don't stink.Congratulations to all who dats,cheaters never prosper.If I was Goodell I would have taken their SB Title back cheating *******s.
    [/quote]

Coughlin did just within the past few weeks.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]The loss of pay won't ruin Payton financially, but what, if anything, does this do to his reputation and future?
    [/quote]

Losing 1 year of pay may not ruin him, but who knows what his overall financial situation is? Losing a (reported) $6 million salary for a year has to at least seriously HURT.

My guess (emphasize "guess") about damage to his reputation is, he will likely still be valued as a HC by several teams, but that there are a few owners whose principles would prevent them from bringing him into their organizations in any future scenario--like Giants and Steelers, for example.

And it's certainly anybody's guess as to whether Benson brings him back next year, after the suspension.

In my view--and this is all speculation, of course, and not necessarily a personal judgement on my part--he's tainted now, regardless of his direct or indirect involvement.

This is all uncharted territory for the league.

[:O]

[B][B][B]

[:O]

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]The loss of pay won't ruin Payton financially, but what, if anything, does this do to his reputation and future?
    [/quote]

Losing 1 year of pay may not ruin him, but who knows what his overall financial situation is? Losing a (reported) $6 million salary for a year has to at least seriously HURT.

My guess (emphasize "guess") about damage to his reputation is, he will likely still be valued as a HC by several teams, but that there are a few owners whose principles would prevent them from bringing him into their organizations in any future scenario--like Giants and Steelers, for example.

And it's certainly anybody's guess as to whether Benson brings him back next year, after the suspension.

In my view--and this is all speculation, of course, and not necessarily a personal judgement on my part--he's tainted now, regardless of his direct or indirect involvement.

This is all uncharted territory for the league.[/quote]

It will be interesting to hear all of the "experts'" points-of-view.

suspension gets reduced after appeal imo

[quote user="bansaw"]suspension gets reduced after appeal imo

[/quote]

I wouldn't be too sure. I know the coaches have a union but having already admitted their individual and collective guilt, there's not a lot to appeal. I would not be surprised top learn that Goodell told them this was coming when they went to 230 Park Avenue last week.

How would Goodell reduce Payton's "sentence" when Loomis has no union affiliation. I'm pretty sure they are going to take their lumps and if I were the owner, whose instructions they reportedly ignored, I'd make damn sure they did.