+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We should trade up and get TE Coby Fleener

Re: We should trade up and get TE Coby Fleener

[quote user="jhamburg"]Looking at the draft order...most of the teams picking immediately before us don't really need TEs. The latest team that does need one is Broncos at 25, and I wouldn't want to trade up much higher than that. Even if he is high on Reese's board, I think we gamble that he falls to us.[/quote]

Other than the patriots, I dont think there is a single team that doesnt need a dynamic TE

Bench Player

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="GfieldGmen"]Still wouldn't draft him. The Giants don't utilize TEs in the passing game enough to warrant trading up for him or drafting him in the first rd.[/quote]

I think that is more because the giants have not had much talent at TE.

Who is the best receiving TE they have had? Shockey? He went to New Orleans that absolutely features TEs and he didnt have any more catches there than he did as a giant.

Add the talent, the giants will utilize him.

TEs would be extremely valuable against the eagles. Eagles have a lot of talent at CB, but have issues at both LB and S. Hit them with play action and 2 TE sets and the eagles will have issues[/quote]

This could be true, but I don't see them valuing a TE enough to trade up or draft one in the first rd. If they got one for cheap and he turned out to be a monster then its possible they adjust there scheme to get him the ball. But again I don't feel the Giants are the type of team the feels they need a stud quality TE as they won 2 super bowls without one and like there TEs to be able to block more than anything.

Fleener isn't viewed as a can't miss stud TE worthy of top 15 talent. If he was and he fell then I would think it is more possible that we would take him. Giants would probably favor an all around guy like Allen or look at a guy like Ladarius Green who has all the physical traits but needs to be coached up who will be there in the 3-5th rd.

[quote user="CGYgiant"][quote user="giantsforce"][quote user="AllTuckedUp"]"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40"

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.[/quote]I am not sure that Fleener has the blocking skills that the Giants require for that position. Fleener was used more as a slot TE rather than a blocking TE in college so I am not sure he will fit the Giants needs. Now with Jacobs gone, the Giants will need a lot of help in their blocking schemes and I do not think they can afford a non-blocking TE.
    [/quote]

They have a top 5 blocking TE with Bennett now, not to mention, Boss didn't know how to block at all coming out of college and he turned OK, no?

Pope is an awesome coach and whenever you see a guy that's 6'6 that runs 4.55 yards AGAINST the wind you know his a unique athlete and well worth a first rounder.[/quote]

its moot anyways bc he was used as an inline te. i rarely saw him out of the slot, he most certainly was ur prototypical inline te, he can block but he just isnt great at it.

i along with a couple other posters have been on his wagon for sometime, he'd make out offense indefendable. nicks and cruz out wide, and fleener who can be a possession option or an option to challenge the vertical seam when the opposing safeties align in their two deep shell. we'd be going mario manningwho?

drafting him and signing steve smith if he is healthy would literally make it impossible for teams to defend us, especially when u consider we have bennett.

i pray this happens if it does with eli passing to the open option which every play we'd have at least one, teams would have to sell out to defend the pass which would open up our run game...well we got bennett and fleener has been projected to fall to 32.

and keep in mind both bennett and ballard only have 1 year contracts...

Well they did draft Shockey in the first round... So clearly they value the position.

As for all around guys, most of the guys they draft actually tend to be pretty horrible blockers, both Boss and Shockey couldnt block at all, but Pope taught them how to block, and both became very good blockers.

From Bleacher Report:

The tight end has been jaw-dropping throughout the afternoon. Fleener
    skipped out on running at this year's scouting combine after suffering a
    sprained ankle, but made the wait well worth it for scouts in
    attendance with an "unofficial" 4.45 forty-yard dash, according to Stanford football's Twitter account. He then matched it with a 4.5 against the wind.

The
    sheer athleticism to go along with an impressive frame (6'6", 247
    pounds) erased any doubts and solidified Fleener's status as a
    first-round pick and top tight end in the draft. To put it in
    perspective, Rob Grownkowski ran a 4.65 with the wind and 4.73 against it at Arizona's Pro Day in 2010.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...orty-yard-dash

More:

Quarterback Andrew Luck is the headliner at Thursday’s Stanford Pro Day, but tight end Coby Fleener stole the early spotlight by ripping up the track and testing well throughout his workout.

Multiple reports had Fleener running in the mid-4.4s in the forty. ESPN’s Todd McShay had Fleener at 4.45, and so did CBS’ Bruce Feldman.

Mayock’s stopwatch read 4.51, but it’s still a very fast time for a 6-foot-6, 247-pound human being.

“That is flying at 247,” said Mayock. Mayock also reported that
    Fleener had a 37-inch vertical and broad jump north of 10-feet. “They’re
    extremely athletic numbers,” Mayock added. “Those are defensive back,
    wide receiver-type numbers.”

For comparison, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski
    ran 4.65 with the wind and 4.73 against the wind at Arizona’s 2010 Pro
    Day. Gronkowski is the same height as Fleener, and 11 pounds heavier.
    But Fleener is much faster in a straight line.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nford-pro-day/

Since it's a copycat league, don't rule out the possibility of the 49ers coveting Fleener. You think Gronk and Hernandez are scary? Imagine Davis with Fleener at his full potential...

Veteran

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="jhamburg"]Looking at the draft order...most of the teams picking immediately before us don't really need TEs. The latest team that does need one is Broncos at 25, and I wouldn't want to trade up much higher than that. Even if he is high on Reese's board, I think we gamble that he falls to us.[/quote]

Other than the patriots, I dont think there is a single team that doesnt need a dynamic TE[/quote]

Well yeah, every team would love to have 2 top TEs, 3 elite WRs, and 4 great pass rushers, but I'm talking about needs, not wants.

[quote user="jhamburg"]Well yeah, every team would love to have 2 top TEs, 3 elite WRs, and 4 great pass rushers, but I'm talking about needs, not wants.[/quote]

Eh, I think he may be the BPA for a lot of teams towards the end of the first round.

[quote user="AllTuckedUp"]"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40"

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.[/quote]

A lot of media heads have been predicting Fleener will still be on the board at 32.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="AllTuckedUp"]"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40"

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.[/quote]

A lot of media heads have been predicting Fleener will still be on the board at 32.
    [/quote]

Prior to this pro day, Mayock has been saying that no TE in this draft should go before mid 2nd round.

Im sure that changed somewhat with his pro day, but it could also be a lot less of a bump than people here suggest.

+ Reply to Thread