+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: We should trade up and get TE Coby Fleener

[quote user="AllTuckedUp"]"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40"

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.[/quote]I am not sure that Fleener has the blocking skills that the Giants require for that position. Fleener was used more as a slot TE rather than a blocking TE in college so I am not sure he will fit the Giants needs. Now with Jacobs gone, the Giants will need a lot of help in their blocking schemes and I do not think they can afford a non-blocking TE.

Veteran

[quote user="giantsforce"][quote user="AllTuckedUp"]"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40"

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.[/quote]I am not sure that Fleener has the blocking skills that the Giants require for that position. Fleener was used more as a slot TE rather than a blocking TE in college so I am not sure he will fit the Giants needs. Now with Jacobs gone, the Giants will need a lot of help in their blocking schemes and I do not think they can afford a non-blocking TE.
    [/quote]

They have a top 5 blocking TE with Bennett now, not to mention, Boss didn't know how to block at all coming out of college and he turned OK, no?

Pope is an awesome coach and whenever you see a guy that's 6'6 that runs 4.55 yards AGAINST the wind you know his a unique athlete and well worth a first rounder.

[quote user="luvbigblue28"]Did I read correctly that Mario Manningham
    will not be playing with the Giants this season?
    Who will replace him at WR if this is true?[/quote] did you hear about peyton manning being released by the colts?

Bench Player

Still wouldn't draft him. The Giants don't utilize TEs in the passing game enough to warrant trading up for him or drafting him in the first rd. We like our TEs block first and pass catch later. Fleener is the type of guy you put in the slot. Gronkowski and Hernandez work because Hernandez is more of a H-back.

Giants will be happy with Bennett and wait for Ballard. Plus they have that guy Hopkins that they like.

Go for O-line first unless a stud like Keuchly, Hightower, Barron, Mercilus fall to us.

[quote user="luvbigblue28"]Did I read correctly that Mario Manningham
    will not be playing with the Giants this season?
    Who will replace him at WR if this is true?[/quote]

You read correctly and, as of right now, Hixon, Jernigan, and Barden are going to compete for# 3.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Giants TE coach Mike Pope is at Standford Pro Day today to check out TE Coby Fleener.

I still don't think we draft a TE in the first but who knows. If Pope really likes him then maybe they draft him and let go of Beckum or Pascoe

Dwayne Allen is the only tight end that MIGHT be drafted in the first round, no need to trade up.

[quote user="GfieldGmen"]Still wouldn't draft him. The Giants don't utilize TEs in the passing game enough to warrant trading up for him or drafting him in the first rd.[/quote]

I think that is more because the giants have not had much talent at TE.

Who is the best receiving TE they have had? Shockey? He went to New Orleans that absolutely features TEs and he didnt have any more catches there than he did as a giant.

Add the talent, the giants will utilize him.

TEs would be extremely valuable against the eagles. Eagles have a lot of talent at CB, but have issues at both LB and S. Hit them with play action and 2 TE sets and the eagles will have issues

[quote user="mikeq672"]Dwayne Allen is the only tight end that MIGHT be drafted in the first round, no need to trade up.
    [/quote]Not anymore. He has dropped to the mid 2nd all the way into the 3rd. Fleener is the unanimous #1 TE now.

Veteran

[quote user="AllTuckedUp"]"TE coby Fleener just ran 4.45 40"

Todd McShay

This guy is big. This guy is fast. This guy can catch. This guy can run good routes. This guy is the real deal.[/quote]

Looking at the draft order...most of the teams picking immediately before us don't really need TEs. The latest team that does need one is Broncos at 25, and I wouldn't want to trade up much higher than that. Even if he is high on Reese's board, I think we gamble that he falls to us.