+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

INJURED RESERVE RULE CHANGE WOULD BE A POSITIVE STEP BY NFL

INJURED RESERVE RULE CHANGE WOULD BE A POSITIVE STEP BY NFL

"Of all of the proposed NFL rules changes that came to light on Thursday the
    one that caught my attention was the possible change of the rules regarding
    injured reserve.

Per Pro Football Talk the NFL Competition Committee has proposed:

"Adding an injured reserve exemption so that if a player was on the roster
    through the first regular season weekend, that player can be placed on injured
    reserve and designated for return, and then can return to practice six weeks
    later and play in a game eight weeks later, rather than having all players on
    injured reserve out for the season."

I love it. If you have been around these parts for a while you know that I
    have been calling for a change like this for several years now.

See what I wrote on August 27 of 2010. And on March 26 of 2009. And on January 1 of 2009. Yes, I have been beating this drum for a
    while.

The Injured Reserve Rule as it stands now makes no sense to me whatsoever.
    Currently, the league forces teams to either hold a valuable roster spot for a
    player it can't use for many weeks of the season or put a player on IR when that
    player is not injured severely enough to miss an entire season and could be
    useful during the second half of the season.

Think about it and you can come up with a ton of examples just on the Giants roster in
    the past few years. Why was Victor Cruz on
    IR with a hamstring injury in 2010? Marvin
    Austin
    probably did not need to miss all of last season with his torn
    pectoral muscle.

It just seems to be silly to force teams to IR players they want to keep and
    could use at the end of seasons when rosters are depleted, then have them
    picking up players off the street -- like the Giants did with Will Blackmon
    last year -- who clearly don't belong in the league.

I generally hate all the yearly tinkering the league does with its rules.
    This, however, would be a long overdue change."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: INJURED RESERVE RULE CHANGE WOULD BE A POSITIVE STEP BY NFL

i like the Bills proposing all challanges get reviewed by a boothe better

but this would still be cool too
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

I would like to see it go even further into the cap rules regarding IR players too. It doesnt seem right that a guy's salary who is out for 16 games still counts against the cap and can prevent the team from bringing in his replacement.

[quote user="BlueSanta"]I would like to see it go even further into the cap rules regarding IR players too. It doesnt seem right that a guy's salary who is out for 16 games still counts against the cap and can prevent the team from bringing in his replacement.
    [/quote]

that would be too hard to do becuase then all you would have to do is IR a bad contract and u don't have to have it count against the cap
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="BlueSanta"]I would like to see it go even further into the cap rules regarding IR players too. It doesnt seem right that a guy's salary who is out for 16 games still counts against the cap and can prevent the team from bringing in his replacement.
    [/quote]

that would be too hard to do becuase then all you would have to do is IR a bad contract and u don't have to have it count against the cap
    [/quote]

The guy would still need to be legitimately injured, though. I know the NFL investigated us placing Cruz on IR, but luckily the doctor agreed that Cruz would have missed enough games to warrant the designation.

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="BlueSanta"]I would like to see it go even further into the cap rules regarding IR players too. It doesnt seem right that a guy's salary who is out for 16 games still counts against the cap and can prevent the team from bringing in his replacement.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

yep, it is a sticky situation. But the current system is just as destructive. There are plenty of ways they could make it a little bit better, even if it is a partial system.

Yep! Good rule change!

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]INJURED RESERVE RULE CHANGE WOULD BE A POSITIVE STEP BY NFL

"Of all of the proposed NFL rules changes that came to light on Thursday the one that caught my attention was the possible change of the rules regarding injured reserve.

Per Pro Football Talk the NFL Competition Committee has proposed:

"Adding an injured reserve exemption so that if a player was on the roster through the first regular season weekend, that player can be placed on injured reserve and designated for return, and then can return to practice six weeks later and play in a game eight weeks later, rather than having all players on injured reserve out for the season."

I love it. If you have been around these parts for a while you know that I have been calling for a change like this for several years now.

See what I wrote on August 27 of 2010. And on March 26 of 2009. And on January 1 of 2009. Yes, I have been beating this drum for a while.

The Injured Reserve Rule as it stands now makes no sense to me whatsoever. Currently, the league forces teams to either hold a valuable roster spot for a player it can't use for many weeks of the season or put a player on IR when that player is not injured severely enough to miss an entire season and could be useful during the second half of the season.

Think about it and you can come up with a ton of examples just on the Giants roster in the past few years. Why was Victor Cruz on IR with a hamstring injury in 2010? Marvin Austin probably did not need to miss all of last season with his torn pectoral muscle.

It just seems to be silly to force teams to IR players they want to keep and could use at the end of seasons when rosters are depleted, then have them picking up players off the street -- like the Giants did with Will Blackmon last year -- who clearly don't belong in the league.

I generally hate all the yearly tinkering the league does with its rules. This, however, would be a long overdue change."

[/quote]

Doesn't the PUP kind of perform the same task as this rule change? Why not simply extend the PUP for another couple of weeks?

All Hail The New York Giants!!

Starter

This would be great for all teams. I like it.

All-Pro

Aka Disabled list