+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GIANTS MAY LOOK TO ADDRESS RUNNING BACK SITUATION THROUGH NFL DRAFT

GIANTS MAY LOOK TO ADDRESS RUNNING BACK SITUATION THROUGH NFL DRAFT

"The New York
    Giants need to address the running game this offseason now that they have
    released Brandon
    Jacobs
    . Free agency is a place where New York may look to fill this void, while the NFL Draft is
    another option for Big Blue, and the Giants could use one of their selections in
    April to pick up another player to carry the ball.

New York Giants running back Brandon
    Jacobs
    fends off Washington Redskins line backer Brian Orakpo to pick up get
    back to the line of scrimmage in the first quarter at FedEx Field in Landover,
    Maryland on January 2, 2010. UPI/Roger L. Wollenberg

There are currently four running backs on the roster, with Ahmad
    Bradshaw
    poised to reassume the starting role next year. But after Bradshaw,
    there is not much else on the depth chart. The only one of the other three backs
    that saw substantial playing time was D.J. Ware.

Ware saw action in all of the Giants' regular season and postseason games.
    The fifth year back averaged just 3.5 yards per carry, and did not find the end
    zone throughout the year. Many of the screens that were designed for Ware by
    offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride did not work well for the Giants. Ware saw
    a significant drop in his average receiving yards per catch, netting just 6.3
    yards compared to 9.6 in 2010.

The only running back that Mel Kiper Jr. deems worthy of a first round pick
    is Alabama’s Trent Richardson, who he has being drafted fifth overall. Lamar
    Miller, Doug Martin, Lamichael James and David Wilson round out Kiper’s top-five
    backs. If Richardson is the only back taken in the opening round, New York
    should have a slew of running backs to choose from in the later rounds if they
    want to pick up a back.

There are more crucial needs to address than the running game, despite how
    consistently bad it was last season. The Giants need to draft a linebacker,
    especially now that Jonathan Goff has been allowed to test the free agency
    market. Another wide receiver could also be added if New York
    does not think they have any viable options for the third receiver.

However, Jerry
    Reese
    tends to take the best player available rather than addressing the
    biggest need. For instance, Reese selected Jason Pierre-Paul when the Giants
    already had Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka and Osi Umenyiora at defensive end.
    So, if any of the top-five backs are available when the Giants select 32nd,
    Reese may take him. Running back David Wilson out of Virginia Tech seems the
    most likely of the premier prospects to still be available that late in the
    first round, garnering a ranking of 47th best player from Kiper.
    Walterfootball.com even has the Giants selecting Miller in the first round. If
    New York
    waits until the later rounds to grab a back, here are three viable options for
    the Giants.

Tauren
    Poole
    , Tennessee

Poole was a 1000 yard rusher in his junior season for the Vols, but there was
    a steep decline in production last season, netting only 693 yards. He could be
    someone that slips underneath the radar, and a steal for the Giants in the fifth
    or sixth round. Of course, this pick would be based mostly on potential and the
    glimpses of the player that Poole showed in 2009. If the Giants select Poole
    this late in the draft, there would be a tremendous upside without much risk. New York
    has had success with drafting running backs very late in the draft, as they took
    Bradshaw in the seventh round.

Chris
    Rainey
    , Florida

If the Giants are looking for a back that they can flank out as a wide
    receiver and design screens for, then Rainey is their guy. He ran a blistering
    4.37 40-yard-dash at the combine, and played multiple positions for the Gators
    last season. The Florida product rushed for 861 yards while also catching 31
    passes for over 300 yards, totaling five touchdowns on the season. Rainey is
    also a viable punt returner, something New York is always on the lookout for. Big Blue ranked
    29th in average punt return yards and 21st in average kick return yards in 2011.
    Mel Kiper Jr. has Rainey tabbed as the ninth best back in the draft.

Isaiah
    Pead
    , Cincinnati

Reese would have a hard time going against his tendency to choose the best
    available player if Isaiah
    Pead
    is still available in the third round. Scouts Inc. has him listed as
    the sixth best running back in the draft and for good reason. The Bearcat rushed
    for just under 1300 yards last year, and has a pension for getting into the end
    zone, finding the promise land 13 times on the ground. Pead could be utilized as
    a goal line back or third down back, similar to the way Jacobs was early on. New York
    will need to replace Jacobs’ presence in the red zone, in which they ranked
    ninth in scoring percentage in 2011.

Once April hits, New York will need to make a tough decision on which
    running back to take if they do not address the need in free agency. It will be
    hard for the Giants to repeat as Super Bowl champions if they rank last in
    rushing yards again next season.

Chester Baker is a student at Fordham University in Pennsylvania and an
    acting intern at Sports Media 101. The views and opinions expressed by Chester
    may not be those of Giants 101.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro

Re: GIANTS MAY LOOK TO ADDRESS RUNNING BACK SITUATION THROUGH NFL DRAFT

plenty of running backs out there ... i guess my worry is that if you look at Bradshaw's rookie year ... he really wasn't ready for prime time until late in the season

so if AB gets injured early in the season ... you would have to rely on Ware and Scott and Ware hasn't shown much and Scott is still a virtual unknown at the NFL level

i still think there is a chance Brandon decides to come back ... why go somewhere unfamiliar for similar money to what we offered him

i'd be surprised if they try and address their running back needs in the draft.

not that i don't think they should take a RB, just that this coaching staff (very intelligently might i add) never wants to risk our twice SB MVP quarterback to the rookie mistakes these backs make when learning how to block at the NFL level.

It's been said by many an analyst over and over, if you want to make sure you can have a job in the NFL as a RB, you don't need to light the world up with 4+ carrying average, just be an above average pass blocker.

you didn't see much from scott this year, just like you didn't see much from bradshaw in his first year, or jacobs in his first year.

you'll probably see more of him this year if he's put the necessary time in to make sure our most valuable asset on offense is safe when he steps back to pass.

Are we to believe they have given up on Da'Rel Scott and Andre Brown?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]Are we to believe they have given up on Da'Rel Scott and Andre Brown?
    [/quote]

IMO honestly I don't see and think Andre Brown as a long term solution or future starter, not even quality depth to this point, that been said he hasn't seen the field that much taking in count his previous injury, to some extent I feel the same way with Ware and with Da'Rel Scott ? It looks he's going to have increased playing time and will have his chance. Again with all that been said it would not surprise me if the Giants go after a RB in the 1st or 2nd day of the draft, even more if that player has ST value like Wilson.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

[quote user="G-Men Surg."][quote user="RoanokeFan"]Are we to believe they have given up on Da'Rel Scott and Andre Brown?
    [/quote]

IMO honestly I don't see and think Andre Brown as a long term solution or future starter, not even quality depth to this point, that been said he hasn't seen the field that much taking in count his previous injury, to some extent I feel the same way with Ware and with Da'Rel Scott ? It looks he's going to have increased playing time and will have his chance. Again with all that been said it would not surprise me if the Giants go after a RB in the 1st or 2nd day of the draft, even more if that player has ST value like Wilson.[/quote]

I've always felt running backs need to be ON THE FIELD to get a feel for the game before we can really evaluate their value. Coming in just for relief doesn't give them a chace to get in synch. Maybe I'm wrong.

Veteran

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]Are we to believe they have given up on Da'Rel Scott and Andre Brown?
    [/quote]

I don't think they've given up on Brown. If the Giants keep a guy around, its because they like him and think he can contribute. If they don't, they waste no time cutting him loose (see: Dillard).

Honestly, Brown out-played Ware last pre-season. He was fast, agile, and ran with authoritah. IMO, the only reason he got PS'd was to get another year removed from his injury. If Jacobs doesn't come back, I think they'll be just fine with Bradshaw, Brown, and Scott.

If Jacobs comes back, I think they'll be just fine with Jacobs, Bradshaw, Brown, and Scott.

(Note: the preceding presupposes that the OL gels)

I'd LOVE to get Doug Martin, I think he's a difference maker, and the next in the line of MJD/Ray Rice. But they can live without him.

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

i'd be surprised if they try and address their running back needs in the draft.

not that i don't think they should take a RB, just that this coaching staff (very intelligently might i add) never wants to risk our twice SB MVP quarterback to the rookie mistakes these backs make when learning how to block at the NFL level.

It's been said by many an analyst over and over, if you want to make sure you can have a job in the NFL as a RB, you don't need to light the world up with 4+ carrying average, just be an above average pass blocker.

you didn't see much from scott this year, just like you didn't see much from bradshaw in his first year, or jacobs in his first year.

you'll probably see more of him this year if he's put the necessary time in to make sure our most valuable asset on offense is safe when he steps back to pass.

[/quote]

Well stated.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="G-Men Surg."][quote user="RoanokeFan"]Are we to believe they have given up on Da'Rel Scott and Andre Brown?
    [/quote]

IMO honestly I don't see and think Andre Brown as a long term solution or future starter, not even quality depth to this point, that been said he hasn't seen the field that much taking in count his previous injury, to some extent I feel the same way with Ware and with Da'Rel Scott ? It looks he's going to have increased playing time and will have his chance. Again with all that been said it would not surprise me if the Giants go after a RB in the 1st or 2nd day of the draft, even more if that player has ST value like Wilson.[/quote]

I've always felt running backs need to be ON THE FIELD to get a feel for the game before we can really evaluate their value.* Coming in just for relief doesn't give them a chace to get in synch.* Maybe I'm wrong.
    [/quote]
    Same sentiment here RF and I believe Da'Rel Scott will get more playing time this year behind Ahmad. Although I love Bradshaw he hasn't prove he can withstand the wear and tear of the NFL , and thats just me talking. I sounds funny because when I think of toughness on this team his face always comes to mind but ever since he had those foot injuries it seems like a huge struggle to be healthy for Ahmad ( and if memory serves me well those injuries go way back into his college days. ).
    One scenario ( hypothetical speaking of course ) that could spell disaster for the Giants next year is if Ahmad ( God forbid ) goes down again and I don't see any security blanket behind him. I guess it all comes down to Reese's trust in Da'rel and in the depth at RB or if he thinks BPA at RB is worthy of a 1 st or 2nd round pick in this upcoming draft.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

[quote user="G-Man67"]

plenty of running backs out there ... i guess my worry is that if you look at Bradshaw's rookie year ... he really wasn't ready for prime time until late in the season

so if AB gets injured early in the season ...* you would have to rely on Ware and Scott and Ware hasn't shown much and Scott is still a virtual unknown at the NFL level

i still think there is a chance Brandon decides to come back ... why go somewhere unfamiliar for similar money to what we offered him

[/quote]

You also have to remember that Bradshaw taken very late.

There are backs in each draft that are ready to go week 1. We'd just have to grab one before say.. the 5th round.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.