+ Reply to Thread

Where do we draft a DT??

I believe that Canty, Linval, and Austin are the only DTs we have inked for next season. 2 of them are badass DTs and deserve to be starting, Austin on the other hand hasnt played in a game in 2years so it would be great for him to pick up where he left off, but lets be real...

That being said, where do we look at a DT in the draft??

Ive read up and seen some footage of Derek Wolfe from Cincy dude KILLED it last season with 21.5 TFLs and 9.5 sacks, are some of the big name DTs REALLY worth the higher spot when we can get this guy in the 4th or 5th

ANAYLYSIS(from cbssports.com)

Strengths: Has a tall, solid frame with adequate length and has
    done a nice job losing the bad weight and firming his body. Has a quick
    first step with fluid movements off the ball. A natural bender, staying
    low and using leverage to force his way into the backfield. Highly
    competitive and fierce, showing relentless effort to the pocket with a
    nonstop motor. Has very good awareness, keeping his head on a swivel
    with a good feel to quickly locate and react to the play. Tough as nails
    with a physical attitude and often attracts double-teams. An extremely
    hard worker in the weight room and doesn?t let up in practice. Versatile
    in college, lining up in several different spots, including moving to
    nose tackle over the center on third downs. Stayed durable over his
    career, starting the final 38 games of his collegiate career. Was
    productive at Cincinnati, especially as a senior when he led the
    conference in tackles for loss (21.5) and had career-highs in tackles
    (70) and sacks (9.5).

Negatives: Only average lower-body strength and
    struggles to anchor at the point of attack. Bit of a defensive
    end/defensive tackle ?tweener who struggles in traffic with multiple
    blockers, not always using his limbs effectively to disengage. Will
    allow his body to get too upright at times and needs to consistently
    keep his pad level down to be effective. Not a quick-twitch player and
    struggles to quickly change directions with some body stiffness. Has
    streaky hand placement and usage, abandoning his technique. Lacks a
    natural position and there will be some concerns as to where he will fit
    best at the next level.

Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Re: Where do we draft a DT??

I don't know much about the player you profiled, but I'd have to say that I feel CB and DE are first-tier need positions.

DT is a small notch below that, along with RB and MLB.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]I don't know much about the player you profiled, but I'd have to say that I feel CB and DE are first-tier need positions.

[/quote]In order of need I would have to go

OT
    S
    DE
    DT
    CB
    LB
    TE
    RB

Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="RagTime Blue"]I don't know much about the player you profiled, but I'd have to say that I feel CB and DE are first-tier need positions.

OT
    S
    DE
    DT
    CB
    LB
    TE
    RB

[/quote]

saftey second? we have KP and Rolle, with sash and chad jones? I can see us POSSIBLY drafting a saftey, but thats our second highest need? i dont think so.

DT over DE, we have 3 proven DE's, 2 Proven DT's.

LB over CB, we have a lot of depth going into this season at CB, a lot of unprovens at LB.

sorry for nit picking [:P]

Veteran

I think we very well could see one in the first. 1 of Cox, Still, Worthy, Brockers, or Poe could be there, and I think JR would have a hard time passing on any of them (Given the choice, I think he'd take Brockers because of his arms/upside).

Also I'll throw a flier out there on Mike Martin in the 3rd. Elite, Non-stop motor, "Surprisingly" long arms, great power... He's a Giants pick.

Could also take a later round flier on Marcus Forston, depending on how they feel about his injury history.

[quote user="NYFan221"][quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="RagTime Blue"]I don't know much about the player you profiled, but I'd have to say that I feel CB and DE are first-tier need positions.

OT
    S
    DE
    DT
    CB
    LB
    TE
    RB

[/quote]

saftey second? we have KP and Rolle, with sash and chad jones? I can see us POSSIBLY drafting a saftey, but thats our second highest need? i dont think so.

LB over CB, we have a lot of depth going into this season at CB, a lot of unprovens at LB.

[/quote]LOL, its a message board you're supposed to nitpick!!!

I dont expect a damned thing from Chad Jones and I know I listed Safety as the 2nd most needed position, but this years safety class kinda sucks compared to what we've seen in recent years, thats why I dont really see us drafting a safety high up

We have 3 proven All Pro DE's but who knows where Osi is going next season and Tucks injury history makes me uneasy, Id LOOOOVE Vinny Curry in the 2nd. Him and JPP would be Tuck & Osi 2.0

With our system as long as we have 2 good coverage LBs (like Boley and JQ) we're good, I wouldnt go so far to say that we have a bunch of unprovens. Herzlich played damned good until he hurt his ankle and JQ Williams proved that he deserves to be on the field with his speed and coverage ability

At CB we have a guy coming off ANOTHER knee injury and we're hoping that he can pick up where he left off, and isnt Webby in a contract year??

We only have 2 DTs who have played a game in the past 2 years, Austin hasnt seen a down in 2 years and that makes me uneasy

I just realized I dont like the Safety or LB class this year, LOL

Veteran

Note: They DO have Dwayne Hendricks and Martin Parker under contract. IIRC, Hendricks played a bit this season and did well, and Parker looked great before getting hurt in preseason (where have we heard THAT before?)

[quote user="Raptor22"]I think we very well could see one in the first. 1 of Cox, Still, Worthy, Brockers, or Poe could be there, and I think JR would have a hard time passing on any of them (Given the choice, I think he'd take Brockers because of his arms/upside).

Also I'll throw a flier out there on Mike Martin in the 3rd. Elite, Non-stop motor, "Surprisingly" long arms, great power... He's a Giants pick.

Could also take a later round flier on Marcus Forston, depending on how they feel about his injury history.
    [/quote]Out of the 1st rounders Cox seems to be the best fit, but didnt he play in a 3-4 in college??

Im still running on the tracks of the Wolfe Train, dude has a non-stop motor and has a knack for bursting through the line to make plays. His biggest knock is that on double teams he gets pushed off of the line, but with JPP and Osi/Tuck/Canty/Linval I doubt he'd get double teamed much

[quote user="NYFan221"][quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="RagTime Blue"]I don't know much about the player you profiled, but I'd have to say that I feel CB and DE are first-tier need positions.*

OT
    S
    DE
    DT
    CB
    LB
    TE
    RB

[/quote]

[/quote]
    To me its ILB, OT, WR, DT, RB, TE, S, CB . In that order.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

I think DT will be a high priority. I could see us taking one with the first pick depending how pressing our front office feels we need one to be ready to go.

Otherwise I'd say look at us making a project out of someone like Akiem Hicks at 6'5 320 llbs and can sack a QB from the line of scrimmage (84" wingspan gah!).

He's due to go around the end of the 6th and is the exact kind of physical speciman the Giants crave on the Dline.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)