+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GIANTS' JERRY REESE SUGGESTS OPTIONS AT MLB, EXPECTS A WR TO STEP UP, AND MORE

GIANTS' JERRY REESE SUGGESTS OPTIONS AT MLB, EXPECTS A WR TO STEP UP, AND MORE

"When Giants General Manager Jerry Reese addressed the media on a scorching
    hot afternoon last August, he maintained – despite a quiet offseason devoid of
    the "sexy" acquisitions and the loss of a few key cogs -- he had a plan and a
    vision and it was panning out as scheduled.

All he needed was some patience, but that was hard to come by after missing
    the playoffs two years in a row.

Yet, with a few unforeseen developments – Victor Cruz, anyone? -- he proved
    to be right and after another Super Bowl win there will be plenty of patience
    this time around.

It’s still very early in the 2012 offseason, but besides the re-signing of a
    few players and picking up tight end Martellus Bennett, the Giants -- now about
    $2.5 million under the salary cap -- have remained relatively quiet on the
    free-agent market. Don’t expect that to change much; the Giants are content with
    allowing the Jets reign supreme in offseason activity in the area.

“You just have to stick to your plan,” Reese said in an interview on SiriusXM
    NFL Radio that aired this afternoon. "Sometimes you can’t make big moves, you
    have to make good football decisions and we try to do that and try to stick to
    our plan and it worked out for us.”

One area where Reese may look to improve on either through the draft or free
    agency – or perhaps both – is at linebacker. Specifically at middle linebacker.
    He admitted today that, “If we had to play tomorrow at mike ‘backer, I’m not
    sure” who would start.

He suggested three options. There’s Greg Jones, a rookie last season who
    began the season as the starter before seeing his playing time diminish as he
    struggled. There’s also fellow rookie Mark Herzlich, the one who took Jones’
    starting spot before he suffered what became a season-ending ankle injury and
    ultimately made way for Chase Blackburn to join the Giants.

“We have some young players that we think can step in and do the job,” Reese
    said. “Obviously Herzlich is a guy we like. We like Greg Jones. There are two
    young kids that played a lot for us last year until Mark got hurt.”

He ended his answer with an option that was a little outside the box:
    “Boley.”

The veteran Michael Boley is an outside linebacker by trade and Reese was
    probably just throwing his name out there, but it isn’t out of the realm of
    possibility especially if the team feels Jacquian Williams, also a rookie last
    season, can step in as the full-time starter on the outside.

“We have linebackers,” he said. “We do. Competition at every position is
    what’s important for us.”

Another interesting takeway from his answer: the lack of a mention of either
    Blackburn or Jon Goff. Both are free-agents.

Last year, competition at wide receiver combined with a couple injuries
    allowed for Victor Cruz to emerge as a go-to target for Eli Manning. With the
    loss of Mario Manningham, Reese expects another dark horse already on the roster
    to emerge, though the Giants can also draft another receiver next month.

“We expect those guys to step out of the shadows. Ramses Barden’s been hurt a
    little bit ever since he’s been in the league. We hope he can stay healthy and
    prove to us he was worth -- I think we picked him with a third-round pick. We
    expect those guys to play. And (Jerrel) Jernigan, the same thing. He’s a young
    guy trying to learn the offense. He should have a better grasp of what’s going
    on to be a slot type. Ramses has got that length that you like. So we have some
    targets we need to go to.”

What Manningham ultimately left for – a two-year contract worth a maximum of
    $10 million if he hits all the incentives – isn’t a lot, but once again spending
    that lkind of money on him, even if it wasn’t as much as many thought Manningham
    would attract on the open market, wasn’t in the plans for the Giants.

“The salary cap rules the world. If you have a lot of good players you just
    can’t retain them all. That’s just the way it is. That’s reality. Again, we feel
    like we have some players on the roster that can come in and step up. You know,
    everybody gets paid. We think we have a good core of players and we have some
    players still waiting to step out of the shadows and make some plays for
    us.”

One rookie who was not able to compete last season was defensive tackle
    Marvin Austin, who tore his pectoral muscle in the preseason and hasn’t played a
    football game in two seasons. He was suspended for his senior season at the
    University of North Carolina in 2010.

“We’re worried about him a little bit,” Reese admitted. “He hasn’t played in
    such a long time now. He tore his pec. He’s been out for such a long time.

“This offseason is going to be big for him to get going again and get
    acclimated to playing football, if nothing else, and playing at this level,
    which is going to be shocking to him because he hasn’t played in such a long
    time. To go out in there and tussle with those big guys, it’s going to be
    tougher than you think it is. But he’s a talented kid. We hope he can get in
    there with Linval Joseph and Chris Canty and give us a good rotation
    inside.”

Reese was asked about the decision to re-sign cornerback Terrell Thomas, who
    tore his ACL in the preseason:

“He’s very much ahead of schedule,” Reese said of Thomas’ recovery. “We feel
    good about him. Our doctors feel good about his progression so far. And he’s a
    good football player. He’s going to make us better. We feel like you’ve got to
    have three corners because you play these spread offenses in the National
    Football League.

“We got away with it a little bit trying to put Antrel Rolle down in the box
    last year, but it’s tough for a safety to get down and play that third receiver,
    because those guys are good as well. With three receivers it’s like three
    starters for those guys.”

Reese all but admitted free agent Kareem McKenzie, who has started at right
    tackle for the Giants over the last seven seasons, won’t be back when he was
    asked how the team will look to replace him.

“We try to develop players. We believe in developing players,” Reese said.
    “We hope he’ll make a step forward. David Diehl is still available for us. Will
    Beatty is still available for us. And our inside guys are still available. So I
    think we’ll have a good core of our offensive line coming back. But we do expect
    James Brewer to step up and challenge for some spots.”

Brewer was a fourth-round pick last season and didn’t appear in a game. He
    did, however, carry
    the team's lucky teddy bear off the plane
    when the Giants arrived in
    Indianapolis for the Super Bowl."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: GIANTS' JERRY REESE SUGGESTS OPTIONS AT MLB, EXPECTS A WR TO STEP UP, AND MORE

I don't like that he didn't even mention Chase

Re: GIANTS' JERRY REESE SUGGESTS OPTIONS AT MLB, EXPECTS A WR TO STEP UP, AND MORE

[quote user="tabouli88"]I don't like that he didn't even mention Chase[/quote]

They have communicated with Chase.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran

I'm not expecting Chase to start, but he's a valuable player with a low price tag....he should be re-signed.

[quote user="JMFP2"]I'm not expecting Chase to start, but he's a valuable player with a low price tag....he should be re-signed.[/quote]

I think it will depend on Goff being here or not.

# 80

i called out reese last year and said the proof would be in the puddin' regarding how he does.

well he did more than pretty good. he did great.

hopefully he can do something similar this year, cuz he seems to have more holes and less money.

truth be told, i HATE free agents and love that we don't have alot of money to go shopping.

i see that as a plus for our cap and future years.

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]i called out reese last year and said the proof would be in the puddin' regarding how he does.

hopefully he can do something similar this year, cuz he seems to have more holes and less money.

truth be told, i HATE free agents and love that we don't have alot of money to go shopping.

i see that as a plus for our cap and future years.[/quote]

[Y]

# 80

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]i called out reese last year and said the proof would be in the puddin' regarding how he does.

i see that as a plus for our cap and future years.[/quote]

[Y]

# 80

All-Pro

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="tabouli88"]I don't like that he didn't even mention Chase[/quote]

They have communicated with Chase.
    [/quote]

Chase isn't on the team. It wouldn't be right to talk about him in that manner

We may have good linebackers. We need at least one GREAT linebacker - probably an OLB who can cover a tight end. Maybe even develop a strong safety at the position With the increasing use of receiving tight ends and two-tight formations, we need to be able to answer that threat.