+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kruunch's 2012 Breakdown by Position (Offense)

Here's my breakdown of our team by position moving forward into the 2012 draft and season:

QB: Eli (2016) is made out of a space aged polymer and Carr has re-signed with us for another year (for less money / opportunity no less). Very low priority.

OG: Currently on our roster we have Snee (2015), Petrus (2014), Boothe (2014) as the main guys we talk about with the bit players being Chris White (2013) and Jim Cordle (2013). We can make the arguement that depth is needed, especially to replace the bit players after 2012 (if not before). Priority: Moderate-Low

Center: With the signing of David Baas (2016) and depth wtih Jim Cordle (2013) and Kevin Boothe (2014), this is not a position of need. Priority: Low

OT: Our current crop of OTs consists of David Diehl (2015), James Brewer (2015), Will Beatty (2013) as our mains with Selvish Capers (2013 - RFA), and Joel Reinders (2013) being the bit players. While Diehl may very well start at RT, he is certainly not the future. Given the length of time the Giants dedicate to coaching up a potential OT, this is a spot that needs depth if not a near-tuture starter if James Brewer can't step up in that capacity. Priority: Moderate - High

TE: Putting Ballard and Beckum aside for this year (torn ACLs in the Super Bowl) the current roster includes Martel Bennett (2013), Bear Pascoe (2012 - RFA), Larry Donnel (2013), Christian Hopkins (2013), and Ryan Purvis (2013). It very much appears that the Giants are continuing their trend of throwing numbers at the position and seeing what sticks. However as you can see from the contracts, this is a year to year position at the moment. Priority: Moderate.

WR: Currently Hakeem Nicks (2014), Victor Cruz (2013 - RFA), Jerrel Jernigan (2015), Dominick Hixon (2013), Ramses Barden (2013), Dan Depalma (2013 - RFA), and Isaiah Stanback (2013). The hunt for the #3 receiver is on with JJ being the pre-camp favorite being Jernigan. Going forward we will need not only our #3, but a contigency for the loss of either Nicks or Cruz within two years. Priority: Moderate - High.

RB: Ahmad Bradshaw (2015), DJ Ware (2013 - RFA), Andre Brown (2013 - RFA), and Da'Rel Scott (2015). With the loss of Brandon Jacobs and AB's failing feet, this is a position with a large question mark. DJ Ware has only been servicable, Andre Brown is two years removed from a ruptured Achilles and Da'Rel Scott is a 7th round draft pick with fumble issues. Priority: High.

FB: Henry Hynoski (2014 - RFA), Bear Pascoe (2012 - RFA). Priority: Low.

Summary: I believe you will see the Giants draft a Wide Receiver and a Running Back within the first 4 rounds. An OT would be a smart move in the first 3 rounds as well but the Giants may look to go value here as well as with the TE position.

Prediction: Look for the Giants to draft a RB such as Chris Rainey (Rds 3-4) AND re-sign Brandon Jacobs to a short term contract. Mohamed Sanu (WR) in the second and value picks at Tight End (Nick Provo) and OT (Andrew Datko / Nate Potter).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Re: Kruunch's 2012 Breakdown by Position (Offense)

Nice analysis my man!!!!

Im onboard with how you rank the positions, but I dont see us going WR and RB within the 1st 4 rounds. I def see us looking more towards Defense and OL, I can see an OT in the 1st 2 rounds and DT/DE in the next 2 rounds.... BUT that does leave 1 more 4th round pick, so maybe we would look at someone like Chris Rainey who would also have pass catching ability and ST value

Like you said it seems that TE is a year to year position with us and we dont really value it as much as OL, Pass Rushers, or DBs, so I can see us staying put or maybe looking at a TE in the mid-late rounds like LaDarius Green (as long as we can bulk him up)

Good point about looking foward with the WRs cause its gonna be tough to keep Prince Hakeem and Senor Cruz, but we could also stay put take our chances with Jerrnigan and Barden then next season see how the contracts play out and assess our WR situation from there
    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

[quote user="Kruunch"]Here's my breakdown of our team by position moving forward into the 2012 draft and season:

QB: Eli (2016) is made out of a space aged polymer and Carr has re-signed with us for another year (for less money / opportunity no less). Very low priority.

OG: Currently on our roster we have Snee (2015), Petrus (2014), Boothe (2014) as the main guys we talk about with the bit players being Chris White (2013) and Jim Cordle (2013). We can make the arguement that depth is needed, especially to replace the bit players after 2012 (if not before). Priority: Moderate-Low

Center: With the signing of David Baas (2016) and depth wtih Jim Cordle (2013) and Kevin Boothe (2014), this is not a position of need. Priority: Low

OT: Our current crop of OTs consists of David Diehl (2015), James Brewer (2015), Will Beatty (2013) as our mains with Selvish Capers (2013 - RFA), and Joel Reinders (2013) being the bit players. While Diehl may very well start at RT, he is certainly not the future. Given the length of time the Giants dedicate to coaching up a potential OT, this is a spot that needs depth if not a near-tuture starter if James Brewer can't step up in that capacity. Priority: Moderate - High

TE: Putting Ballard and Beckum aside for this year (torn ACLs in the Super Bowl) the current roster includes Martel Bennett (2013), Bear Pascoe (2012 - RFA), Larry Donnel (2013), Christian Hopkins (2013), and Ryan Purvis (2013). It very much appears that the Giants are continuing their trend of throwing numbers at the position and seeing what sticks. However as you can see from the contracts, this is a year to year position at the moment. Priority: Moderate.

WR: Currently Hakeem Nicks (2014), Victor Cruz (2013 - RFA), Jerrel Jernigan (2015), Dominick Hixon (2013), Ramses Barden (2013), Dan Depalma (2013 - RFA), and Isaiah Stanback (2013). The hunt for the #3 receiver is on with JJ being the pre-camp favorite being Jernigan. Going forward we will need not only our #3, but a contigency for the loss of either Nicks or Cruz within two years. Priority: Moderate - High.

RB: Ahmad Bradshaw (2015), DJ Ware (2013 - RFA), Andre Brown (2013 - RFA), and Da'Rel Scott (2015). With the loss of Brandon Jacobs and AB's failing feet, this is a position with a large question mark. DJ Ware has only been servicable, Andre Brown is two years removed from a ruptured Achilles and Da'Rel Scott is a 7th round draft pick with fumble issues. Priority: High.

FB: Henry Hynoski (2014 - RFA), Bear Pascoe (2012 - RFA). Priority: Low.

Summary: I believe you will see the Giants draft a Wide Receiver and a Running Back within the first 4 rounds. An OT would be a smart move in the first 3 rounds as well but the Giants may look to go value here as well as with the TE position.

Prediction: Look for the Giants to draft a RB such as Chris Rainey (Rds 3-4) AND re-sign Brandon Jacobs to a short term contract. Mohamed Sanu (WR) in the second and value picks at Tight End (Nick Provo) and OT (Andrew Datko / Nate Potter).[/quote]

good read
    FUTURE NFL STAR

2014 season
    23 rushes for 255yards 3td
    39 pancake blocks
    50 tackles 3 sacks (3 td saving tackles including final tackle as time expired to clinch win, hit of the game 9/14 & 10/26 )
    9-0-1 record///// invited to play in tiny mite bowl and beat the team we tied in regular season
    youtube (youth football Iselin Giants and look for video that's 4 mins 19sec)

[quote user="Kase-1"]Nice analysis my man!!!!

Im onboard with how you rank the positions, but I dont see us going WR and RB within the 1st 4 rounds.* I def see us looking more towards Defense and OL, I can see an OT in the 1st 2 rounds and DT/DE in the next 2 rounds.... BUT that does leave 1 more 4th round pick, so maybe we would look at someone like Chris Rainey who would also have pass catching ability and ST value

Like you said it seems that TE is a year to year position with us and we dont really value it as much as OL, Pass Rushers, or DBs, so I can see us staying put or maybe looking at a TE in the mid-late rounds like LaDarius Green (as long as we can bulk him up)

Good point about looking foward with the WRs cause its gonna be tough to keep Prince Hakeem and Senor Cruz, but we could also stay put take our chances with Jerrnigan and Barden then next season see how the contracts play out and assess our WR situation from there
    [/quote]

It's really hard to guage for me what the Giants do on offense in the draft. I'm used to us being a defense first oriented team and our drafts have echoed that.

However given the trend of the NFL, Eli's solid step into elite-dom and our crazy numbers at the skill positions, I can see us tempted to keep that trend going. A high WR pick and a mid-round RB and/or TE. I'm just not sure where they go with OT. If they think they can eek out another 2 years with DD, then I could see them going south in the draft for OT this year.

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Kase-1"]Nice analysis my man!!!!

Im onboard with how you rank the positions, but I dont see us going WR and RB within the 1st 4 rounds. I def see us looking more towards Defense and OL, I can see an OT in the 1st 2 rounds and DT/DE in the next 2 rounds.... BUT that does leave 1 more 4th round pick, so maybe we would look at someone like Chris Rainey who would also have pass catching ability and ST value

[/quote]

It's really hard to guage for me what the Giants do on offense in the draft. I'm used to us being a defense first oriented team and our drafts have echoed that.

However given the trend of the NFL, Eli's solid step into elite-dom and our crazy numbers at the skill positions, I can see us tempted to keep that trend going. A high WR pick and a mid-round RB and/or TE. I'm just not sure where they go with OT. If they think they can eek out another 2 years with DD, then I could see them going south in the draft for OT this year.[/quote]I wont lie, Im a Defense and OL guy myself so im a lil biased, LOL

A good run game is based on a successful OL and the way we do it with OTs I could see us taking one this year but having him as 2nd on the depth chart after Diehl.... Unless Diehl craps the bed, which is a strong possibility. That being said it doesnt seem like we value RBs that high in the draft, theyve become a dime a dozen with a good OL

WR seems like a strong possibility, but I just dont want to admit it, Im REALLY hoping for a OT in the 1st 2rounds with either Adams from Ohio State or Kelechi Osemele from Iowa State in addition to a beastly pass rusher, Im REALLY high on Marcellus from Illinois and Curry from Marshall
    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

[quote user="Kase-1"]I wont lie, Im a Defense and OL guy myself so im a lil biased, LOL

A good run game is based on a successful OL and the way we do it with OTs I could see us taking one this year but having him as 2nd on the depth chart after Diehl.... Unless Diehl craps the bed, which is a strong possibility. That being said it doesnt seem like we value RBs that high in the draft, theyve become a dime a dozen with a good OL

WR seems like a strong possibility, but I just dont want to admit it, Im REALLY hoping for a OT in the 1st 2rounds with either Adams from Ohio State or Kelechi Osemele from Iowa State in addition to a beastly pass rusher, Im REALLY high on Marcellus from Illinois and Curry from Marshall
    [/quote]

I highly doubt Whitney Mercilus is around when we pick first (and I think he translates to a 3-4 OLB in any event) and Vinny Curry is ok but I think redundant at this point for our needs (then again we like to be redundant when it comes to our pass rushers).

For OT I think it depends if they feel they need a "start now" type of guy. Wherever they pick an OT (if they do at all) will tell us just how far along Brewer is and how they feel about DD.

The entire offensive line (except maybe C) is the biggest need on the team (let alone the offense). RB is not a greater need than that. Remember, Bradshaw was once a 7th round pick with fumble issues too. I see Da'Rel Scott developing into a similar type of back, only younger and faster. And if coughlin can fix the epic fumbleitis of Tiki Barber, he can help make any RB become awesome. I'd like to see BJ possibly get re-signed, or to get a younger version of him, but that kind of back can't do anything unless you have an offensive line that can make the hole for him...

We're set at the skill positions, we just need to get a beefier line so we can actually do something with said skill. Even space-age polymer will eventually break if you beat it up too much...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

i agree with everything u say on both sides of the ball except for RB...

I think the staff wants to see what we got out of Andre and Scott before we look to move on from them as possible players for us

and tight end.... I think we will be stacked at TE once Ballard gets back. I think we have our main TE one way or another with Bennett or Ballard

I still could see us making a move on a Dallas Clark or Jacob Thamme type to replace Beckum. A guy that could lend a hand in TE duties but we don't have to rely on and can lineup in the slot.

There was some rumors about Dallas coming to NY and Reese says we still need to spend...

Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]The entire offensive line (except maybe C) is the biggest need on the team (let alone the offense). RB is not a greater need than that. Remember, Bradshaw was once a 7th round pick with fumble issues too. I see Da'Rel Scott developing into a similar type of back, only younger and faster. And if coughlin can fix the epic fumbleitis of Tiki Barber, he can help make any RB become awesome. I'd like to see BJ possibly get re-signed, or to get a younger version of him, but that kind of back can't do anything unless you have an offensive line that can make the hole for him...

We're set at the skill positions, we just need to get a beefier line so we can actually do something with said skill. Even space-age polymer will eventually break if you beat it up too much...[/quote]

space age polymer? You must work in the Aero industry lol. That sounds like an engineer football fan talking making that comparison

I disagree I think our guard play is FAR superior. Tackle is a major issue
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]i agree with everything u say on both sides of the ball except for RB...

I think the staff wants to see what we got out of Andre and Scott before we look to move on from them as possible players for us

and tight end.... I think we will be stacked at TE once Ballard gets back.* I think we have our main TE one way or another with Bennett or Ballard

I still could see us making a move on a Dallas Clark or Jacob Thamme type to replace Beckum.* A guy that could lend a hand in TE duties but we don't have to rely on and can lineup in the slot.

There was some rumors about Dallas coming to NY and Reese says we still need to spend...

[/quote]

Regarding RB: DJ Ware hasn't shown he can do more then get a couple yards at a clip. He's "ok" at most anything you need a RB for but doesn't excel at any of those aspects either. We don't know what we have with Scott but he is a 7th round draft pick (can only get gold so many times that low) and Andre Brown hasn't shown he's back from his Achilles rupture (and may never be). We have a definitive need for a pass catching RB to at least share the load (if not take over for) with AB .... there is some value in the middle rounds of the draft. I don't see us taking a flyer on another 7th round pick again. While RB may be out of vogue, our offense is like night and day when we have 100+ yrd rusher and when we don't.

TE: They can really go in any direction they want with TE. Past blocking I think they feel that anything they get out of the TE position is gravy.