+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kruunch's 2012 Breakdown by Position (Defense)

Here's my breakdown for our defense going into the 2012 Draft and season.

DT: Linval Joseph (2014), Chris Canty (2015), Marvin Austin (2015), and Dwayne Hendricks (2013 - RFA). With Austin being a huge question mark and Chris Canty's cap hit going north of $8 mil in the near future, as well as the DLine being the bread-n-butter of the Giants, this position looks to be a hot topic going into the draft. Priority: High

DE: Justin Tuck (2014), Jason Pierre Paul (2015), Osi Umenyiora (2013), Craig Marshall (2013 - RFA), and Justin Trattou (2013 - RFA). While DE is the #1 position on the Giants, we have 3 elite pass rushers going into 2012 (Osi, Tuck and JPP) and coverage the year after for losing Osi (if we don't extend him) in Kiwi and even Adrian Tracey (who is listed as a LB on the Giants roster but is being groomed as a DE). Priority: Moderate - Low (moderate because its always on our mind).

LB: Michael Boley (2014), Zak Deossie (2013), Mark Herzlich (2015), Greg Jones (2015), Mathias Kiwanuka (2013), Spencer Paysinger (2015), Clint Sintim (2013), Adrian Tracey (2013), Jacquian Williams (2015). While not the LBer corps of the 80s we have lots of bodies and depth at the various LBer positions with our starting corps looking like Kiwi, Boley, JWill. Priority: Low

DB: Antrel Rolle (2015), Kenny Phillips (2013), and Chris Horton (2013). With little depth, the Safety spot becomes a slightly higher priority, Especially if Phillips walks next year. Interestingly, T2 is listed as a DB, not a CB on the Giants roster currently. Priority: Moderate - High

CB: Corey Webster (2014), Prince Amakumara (2015), Terrel Thomas (2016). and Brandon Bing (2013 - RFA). With 3 legitimate starting CBs locked up for the next couple of years, this is not a position of immediate need. However look for T2 to slide over to Safety and/or the nickle CB leaving some room for depth here; Priority: Moderate - Low

Summary: DT is the top priority moving forward with DB coming in a distant second (I think we re-sign KP next year).

Prediction: Defying those who want Stephen Hill or Doug Martin or Coby Fleener, the Giants pick either Jerel Worthy, Devon Still or Kendal Reyes ... whichever DT falls to them in the first round. Look to George Iloka in the 2nd or Brandon Thompson in the 4th for DB help and a possible squeaker pick of Coryell Judie in the 4th or 5th (should he slip). DE will be a project player such as Donte Paige-Moss or Jack Crawford in the later rounds and we stand pat on LBers this year.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Re: Kruunch's 2012 Breakdown by Position (Defense)

Another great read my dude!!!

DT- I def agree, we havent had Austin play a game in 2yrs and we only have Canty and Linval to really step up and hold it down

DE- While we do have JPP, Osi, and Tuck next year we dont know what Osi is gonna do and Tucks injury history keeps me uneasy, I just dont trust his health for a full season anymore. That being said I can see us going DE in the 1st 3rounds. We like staying stocked with pass rushing DE's and with pass rushing beasts like Whitney Marcellus and Vinny Curry out there those guys have Giants written all over them

LB- Agree, I think we're good with what we got at LB. Kiwi is coming into his own at SAM, Boley is one of the best WILL's in the NFL, JQ Williams has proved that he can do it up and play with the best of them ya gotta love his speed, and Herzlich before his injury made us quickly forget about Goff he was a step slow but that football IQ is 100% there

S- I think its a position of need, but this years safety class is 'meh' at best, I dont know if Ive been spoiled with the recent safety classes but this years class doesnt do it for me. If anything I could see us taking a big CB and using him like we did with Rolle last season as a Nickel/Safety hybrid

CB- I feel like coverage guys are the new pass rushers in terms that you cant have enough of em on your team. We do have Webby and Prince, but T2 is coming off ANOTHER knee injury and id love if he picked up where he left off but Im not 100% sold on him yet

I see us looking at a DT, DE, and a big, physical CB (to convert to safety) in the draft
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

Check out George Iloka. He started as a CB and transformed into a Safety. 6'4 and a wingspan like a condor.

That's our second round pick imo.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

All-Pro

Tyler Sash is on the team.

Couldnt disagree with most of this any more than I do.

[quote user="lawl"]Tyler Sash is on the team.[/quote]

and chad jones. Could have either no depth, or could be a pretty deep position depending on those two.

[quote user="Kruunch"]Check out George Iloka. He started as a CB and transformed into a Safety. 6'4 and a wingspan like a condor.

That's our second round pick imo.[/quote]

He wasent a CB. He was a safety his first four years at boise state, but the last 2 games he had to play CB due to injuries.

[quote user="Kruunch"]Here's my breakdown for our defense going into the 2012 Draft and season.

DT: Linval Joseph (2014), Chris Canty (2015), Marvin Austin (2015), and Dwayne Hendricks (2013 - RFA). With Austin being a huge question mark and Chris Canty's cap hit going north of $8 mil in the near future, as well as the DLine being the bread-n-butter of the Giants, this position looks to be a hot topic going into the draft. Priority: High

DE: Justin Tuck (2014), Jason Pierre Paul (2015), Osi Umenyiora (2013), Craig Marshall (2013 - RFA), and Justin Trattou (2013 - RFA). While DE is the #1 position on the Giants, we have 3 elite pass rushers going into 2012 (Osi, Tuck and JPP) and coverage the year after for losing Osi (if we don't extend him) in Kiwi and even Adrian Tracey (who is listed as a LB on the Giants roster but is being groomed as a DE). Priority: Moderate - Low (moderate because its always on our mind).

LB: Michael Boley (2014), Zak Deossie (2013), Mark Herzlich (2015), Greg Jones (2015), Mathias Kiwanuka (2013), Spencer Paysinger (2015), Clint Sintim (2013), Adrian Tracey (2013), Jacquian Williams (2015). While not the LBer corps of the 80s we have lots of bodies and depth at the various LBer positions with our starting corps looking like Kiwi, Boley, JWill. Priority: Low

DB: Antrel Rolle (2015), Kenny Phillips (2013), and Chris Horton (2013). With little depth, the Safety spot becomes a slightly higher priority, Especially if Phillips walks next year. Interestingly, T2 is listed as a DB, not a CB on the Giants roster currently. Priority: Moderate - High

CB: Corey Webster (2014), Prince Amakumara (2015), Terrel Thomas (2016). and Brandon Bing (2013 - RFA). With 3 legitimate starting CBs locked up for the next couple of years, this is not a position of immediate need. However look for T2 to slide over to Safety and/or the nickle CB leaving some room for depth here; Priority: Moderate - Low

Summary: DT is the top priority moving forward with DB coming in a distant second (I think we re-sign KP next year).

Prediction: Defying those who want Stephen Hill or Doug Martin or Coby Fleener, the Giants pick either Jerel Worthy, Devon Still or Kendal Reyes ... whichever DT falls to them in the first round. Look to George Iloka in the 2nd or Brandon Thompson in the 4th for DB help and a possible squeaker pick of Coryell Judie in the 4th or 5th (should he slip). DE will be a project player such as Donte Paige-Moss or Jack Crawford in the later rounds and we stand pat on LBers this year.[/quote]I think Reyes is a darkhorse selection that isnt mentioned by the draftniks much to the Giants. He has many Giant qualities. I think your discounting WR. I think the Giants need another weapon in the passing game. Another guy on the outside to me is a big need. Coby Fleener probably goes before the Giants pick.
    I think safety and DT are positions competition is needed . Canty and Rolle have big contracts and Phillips is a FA next season

Veteran

You forgot Michael Coe and Justin Tryon.

[quote user="Kruunch"]Here's my breakdown for our defense going into the 2012 Draft and season.

Prediction: Defying those who want Stephen Hill or Doug Martin or Coby Fleener, the Giants pick either Jerel Worthy, Devon Still or Kendal Reyes ... whichever DT falls to them in the first round. Look to George Iloka in the 2nd or Brandon Thompson in the 4th for DB help and a possible squeaker pick of Coryell Judie in the 4th or 5th (should he slip). DE will be a project player such as Donte Paige-Moss or Jack Crawford in the later rounds and we stand pat on LBers this year.[/quote]
    I agree with you 100% about DT and DB. Like your assessments.

Although I'd love to have Cordy Glenn on the OL, he won't fall to us. I'd love to have Still or Reyes on the DL or even Barron at S, but he won't fall either. I think of the 4 players I just mentioned, Reyes is the only one likely to be there at # 32.