+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

"During an appearance on Sirius XM NFL Radio on Monday, New York Giants
    general manager Jerry Reese floated the possibility of Michael Boley
    playing middle linebacker for the Giants in 2012.

Reese would not have said it out loud if the idea wasn't truly on the table.
    So, let's talk about it. Forget the other candidates, and the upcoming NFL
    Draft, for a minute. Is Boley at middle linebacker a good idea?

Boley is a seven-year veteran who has always played the weakside, or what is
    not often called the 'WILL' linebacker position. He is 6-foot-3, 236 pounds --
    not exactly classic 4-3 middle linebacker material.

Think about it, though, and Boley already functions much like a middle
    linebacker for the Giants, anyway. He took over calling the defensive signals
    for the Giants a season ago when Jonathan Goff
    went down to a season-ending injury, and it is Boley who makes most of the
    pre-snap calls at the line of scrimmage. Pro-Football Reference as always listed
    Boley as a left or right side linebacker. For 2011, he is listed simply as a
    linebacker -- indicating the adjustment in the scheme the Giants play.

When the Giants play their 4-2-5 alignment, which is more and more becoming
    their base defense, Boley and Mathias
    Kiwanuka
    or Jacquian
    Williams
    already line up and function somewhat like middle linebackers. In
    pass defense, range in coverage is a requirement of Perry Fewell's zone-heavy
    schemes, anyway, and we know Boley can run, cover and handle those deep
    drops.

So, Boley as the 'de facto' middle linebacker in the Giants' defense might
    not be as far-fetched as it sounds the first time you hear it. What do you
    think, Giants' fans?"

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

pre-snap calls at the line of scrimmage. Pro-Football Reference as always listed

Kiwanuka
    or Jacquian
    Williams
    drops.

think, Giants' fans?"

[/quote]

Like the article says he plays all over the field for us anyway. If we dont' draft a MLB or sign a vet through free agency sure why not move him over to MLB as long as he's still covering the TE. Vernon Davis killed us in that first 49ers game when he went down at the half time.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]MICHAEL BOLEY AT MIDDLE LINEBACKER: A GOOD IDEA?

Kiwanuka
    or Jacquian
    Williams
    drops.

think, Giants' fans?"

[/quote]

he functions like a MLB except for maybe one key major factor: he may be our worst tackling Linebacker...

If he could tackle like he should he would be recognized as a top 4-3 linebacker
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

I think we still need to draft. We need depth, we need a blanket of security

He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy.

Not to mention with Boley as an MLB, you could keep him on the field in the nickel package and not lose your defensive play caller.

Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy.

Not to mention with Boley as an MLB, you could keep him on the field in the nickel package and not lose your defensive play caller.

Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.[/quote]

hes still on the field for nickle

theres no set rules, hes in on most nickle packages

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy.

Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.[/quote]

[/quote]

Correct, however in the past (and traditionally) our MLB calls the defense and in the nickle package the "classic" MLB (Goff, Pierce, Barrow) trots off the field.

With Boley at MLB you don't have that ... you keep the play calling ability but don't lose the player on nickle packages (Kiwi or JWill trot off instead).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy.

[/quote]

Correct, however in the past (and traditionally) our MLB calls the defense and in the nickle package the "classic" MLB (Goff, Pierce, Barrow) trots off the field.

With Boley at MLB you don't have that ... you keep the play calling ability but don't lose the player on nickle packages (Kiwi or JWill trot off instead).[/quote]

true, but we have a liability against the run at MLB if Boley is our MLB in a base 4-3

Im not too excited about that idea at all

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy. Not to mention with Boley as an MLB, you could keep him on the field in the nickel package and not lose your defensive play caller. Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.[/quote]

[/quote] Correct, however in the past (and traditionally) our MLB calls the defense and in the nickle package the "classic" MLB (Goff, Pierce, Barrow) trots off the field. With Boley at MLB you don't have that ... you keep the play calling ability but don't lose the player on nickle packages (Kiwi or JWill trot off instead).[/quote]

true, but we have a liability against the run at MLB if Boley is our MLB in a base 4-3

[/quote]

Yeah, I could see them doing it for the sake of getting JWill on the field and putting their best 11 guys out there (similar to why they moved Kiwi to LB). But Boley doesn't do well when he's got to fight through the trash and take on blockers, which MLBers have to be able to do in our scheme.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

[quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Kruunch"]He played MLB for us this year well, called the defense well and was sorely missed when he went down with a hammy. Not to mention with Boley as an MLB, you could keep him on the field in the nickel package and not lose your defensive play caller. Considering the classic MLB as a position is disappearing in the NFL I'd say Boley would work extremely well in that capacity.[/quote]

[/quote] Correct, however in the past (and traditionally) our MLB calls the defense and in the nickle package the "classic" MLB (Goff, Pierce, Barrow) trots off the field. With Boley at MLB you don't have that ... you keep the play calling ability but don't lose the player on nickle packages (Kiwi or JWill trot off instead).[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I could see them doing it for the sake of getting JWill on the field and putting their best 11 guys out there (similar to why they moved Kiwi to LB). But Boley doesn't do well when he's got to fight through the trash and take on blockers, which MLBers have to be able to do in our scheme.

[/quote]

And yet we didn't have that problem when Boley was playing MLB for us this year including run heavy teams such as Atlanta, Jets and 49ers.

I don't think there is a single power run team in existence right now (the Jets were probably the closest in 2010).