+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The drought (1957-1985)

Hello all,

I am looking for stories about the lean years from 57' to 85'.
    What are your favorite, and least favorite memories from that period?
    Who were the great players that dedicated themselves to improving the team?
    How was the Giants-Jets rivalry perceived those days?

Plus just add anything else that comes to mind.

I am really looking to learn more about our team`s history.

Thanks, Go Blue!

Re: The drought (1957-1985)

This is actually a great topic to bring up. Gives alot of us some perspective on what it was like LONG for a title. My dad always talks about these years.. Said he earned his stripes as a fan. Also said he was at the "miracle at the meadowlands game" didn't talk to anyone after the game until the following Saturday. lol

I have been itching at posting this topic for a while. I am very intrigued about how our collective memory deals with such a tough time. We seemed to have had some good teams, but there also seemed to have existed a complete inability to compete after looking to Baltimore in 58`, finally completely imploding after the 63`season. I am just going from what I read in wikipedia, but I am sure that there are tons of stories that can set the record straight.

I don't remember life before LT, but I'll say that in the early 80's, this organization was akin to how most people think of the Cleveland Browns now. . .once in a while contenders, but never a threat.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

it sucked

You should be banned for bringing this up.

I actually became a Giant fan during this era. Tickets were a lot easier to come by, lol.

This sums up my misery from 1978. Probably the lowest of low depths they could've sunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML1Ixd3jiGU

The drought started in '64, not '57. The teams from 58--63 were super. They won no championships, but they were more than competitive, they were feared! Consider in 58-9, they were beaten by the Colts. In 61-2, by the Pack, and in 63 by the Bears. It took 3 different teams to beat them. '58 was really special. The team didn't have much in the way of offense, but the D was, imho, the best in NFL history. They throttled the best RB in NFL history for 3 games. They held the Colts, the highest scoring team that year, to well under their ave., and keep in mind that the deciding play of that game was a blown call by the line judge. Also in that game, Gifford lost 3 fumbles! Giff didn't fumble much during his career, but 3....! The following year, Giff wanted to try out at the QB spot to take Conerly's place. He felt that a mobile QB would help the O put more ponts on the board. He didn't really get a shot. '60 was a tough yr. I was in college at Lafayette, and most of my friends were Eagle fans, and of course they won it that year. '61, the Giants were back, and gave the Pack a run for their $. I could go on and on.....

The last championship in 1956 was actually the beginning of a golden era. The Giants had just moved into Yankee Stadium, they had Lombardi and Landry on the same staff, and were loaded with star players. Coincidentally the Yankees were in one of several golden eras in that same time, so Yankee Stadium was the center of the sports universe, with the Yankees always in the World Series and the Giants always in the NFL Championship game.

The Giants would make the NFL Championship Game 6 times in 8 years (56 58 59 61 62 63) but unfortunately they would only win that one in 1956. The 1958 game vs. the Colts is "The Greatest Game Ever Played", which the Colts won in overtime and it shot the NFL into the national spotlight and lead directly to the creation of the AFL in 1960.

After the 1963 season the team was picked apart (Sam Huff was sent to Washington where he remains to this day)... Wellington's loyalty to head coaches Allie Sherman and Alex Webster meant a decade of misery, and then they tried the Jets' solution of bringing in big names to fix the team (guys like Fran Tarkenton and Larry Czonka) throughout the 1970s. I think they had two non-losing seasons in the 70s, it was bad. The Giants, once a crown jewel of the NFL, were the laughing stock.

It culminated with the 1978 "Miracle at the Meadowlands". Winning against the Philadelphia Eagles, all they needed to do was drain the clock. But back then there was no "victory formation", they ran a running play which Larry Czonka fumbled, the Eagles recovered, and won the game, it sent a good season into a tailspin and wrecked it.

That dark moment gave birth to the modern era. The league intervened and forced them to take a GM, George Young of the Colts... He brought in a new coaching staff that contained a guy named Bill Parcells as linebacker coach, and he drafted a young QB named Phil Simms. The current organization and its successes are built on what those guys did 30+ years ago.

The "classic" Giants (before the Super Bowl) are actually a very proud and successful franchise that gets lost because they lost in the big game so much, and because the team was so bad as the NFL exploded in popularity in the 1970s. Unfortunately that stretch of 6 championship games in 8 years and only winning one is a microcosm of Giants History. The Giants played in the NFL Championship Game in 1933, 1934, 1935, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1943, 1944, 1946, 1950, 1956, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1963, 16 times, only winning 3. They were good enough to play in the Championship Game all those times.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells