+ Reply to Thread

titwio's mock draft

I waited as long as I could. The whole month of April makes me jittery for the upcoming draft. Here's my mock for the time being.

Let me know what you think.

1. Devon Still DT Penn State. - A lot of ways the Giants can go and being at 32 overall only solidifies Reese's plan to take the BPA. If Devon is still on the board, then it's hard to argue that he wouldn't be the pick.

2. Bobby Wagner LB Utah ST. - Fast, versatile LB who can play on the outside or inside. Good instincts, very intelligent and solid in coverage. Just seems like Giants material to me...Also doesn't hurt he that he ran a mid 4.4 on his Pro Day.

3. Bobby Massie OT Ole Miss. The Giants continue to snatch the BPA much like last year and Massie is another big steal for Reese in the 3rd. Solid at 6'6 316 very strong in the run game and is outright viscous finishing off defenders. With K-Mac gone and Deihl more of a band aid this year...Massie makes a lot sense here to come in and compete along with Brewer.

4. Isiah Pead RB Cincinnati - In the fourth the Giants address the running back position and take the best one available. A fast, explosive, athletic RB with with good hands in the passing game and offers great value in the return game as well.

4b. Ladarius Greene TE Louisiana-Lafayette- 6'6 240 raw, fast, athletic TE who is dangerous with the ball in his hands. He'll need to put on some more pounds but has the size and athleticism to be a stud. He'll have time to mold while he learns from better blocking TE's in Bennett and Ballard. His upside is huge.

5. Jarius Wright WR Arkansas. Fast, quick, solid handed receiver who gets good separation . A legitimate deep threat who runs good routes and can play outside as well as the slot. Reminds me a lot of Mario coming out of Michigan. The Giants continue trend adding play makers to their receiving corps and Wright could come right in and be insurance for guys like Jernigan, Hixon and the loss of Thomas as well.

6. Donte Paige-Moss DE North Carolina- The Giants look to address DE and look no further than North Carolina. Donte is risk coming off an ACL but the Giants take him in the 6th to sit back and learn, groom and mature before dealing with the uncertainty of 2013. He has good overall size and length and is a solid, secure tackler who gets penetration.

7. Tramain Thomas S Arkansas- Thomas is a play maker in the secondary and shows great athleticism. Very fluid and with solid range. Lacks ideal size for a safety and needs to get stronger but the Giants feel he's the BPA and definitely worth the pick here.

Re: titwio's mock draft

I like this a lot. Doubt Massie lasts until the third.

[quote user="gmen0820"]I like this a lot. Doubt Massie lasts until the third.[/quote]

I tried to take into account that guys don't always go where they're projected. There's always reaches and players slide. Massie could go anywhere from the mid second to the 3rd IMO. But yeah, it definitely would be a steal getting him there...but the Giants are good in that aspect.

I think that's a great mock! Not sure I'm sold on Still. It was said on NFL Network during the combine that some teams are concerned with the fact that he is an awesome specimen that all to often is invisible in a game when he should dominate. I think we go Barron or Harrison Smith first round. I like Pead but rather have Turbin. Wagner, Massie,Greene and Wright are all great selections, maybe to late for Massie?

Wagner doesnt make it to the end of the 2nd either, not after his pro day. I do like a lot of the same player as you though.

Everyone says, "if so-and-so makes it to 32, he'll be the BPA". People don't take into account who else might surprise by being available.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

[quote user="titwio"]I waited as long as I could. The whole month of April makes me jittery for the upcoming draft. Here's my mock for the time being.

Let me know what you think.

1. Devon Still DT Penn State. - A lot of ways the Giants can go and being at 32 overall only solidifies Reese's plan to take the BPA. If Devon is still on the board, then it's hard to argue that he wouldn't be the pick.

2. Bobby Wagner LB Utah ST. - Fast, versatile LB who can play on the outside or inside. Good instincts, very intelligent and solid in coverage. Just seems like Giants material to me...Also doesn't hurt he that he ran a mid 4.4 on his Pro Day.

3. Bobby Massie OT Ole Miss. The Giants continue to snatch the BPA much like last year and Massie is another big steal for Reese in the 3rd. Solid at 6'6 316 very strong in the run game and is outright viscous finishing off defenders. With K-Mac gone and Deihl more of a band aid this year...Massie makes a lot sense here to come in and compete along with Brewer.

4. Isiah Pead RB Cincinnati - In the fourth the Giants address the running back position and take the best one available. A fast, explosive, athletic RB with with good hands in the passing game and offers great value in the return game as well.

4b. Ladarius Greene TE Louisiana-Lafayette- 6'6 240 raw, fast, athletic TE who is dangerous with the ball in his hands. He'll need to put on some more pounds but has the size and athleticism to be a stud. He'll have time to mold while he learns from better blocking TE's in Bennett and Ballard. His upside is huge.

5. Jarius Wright WR Arkansas. Fast, quick, solid handed receiver who gets good separation . A legitimate deep threat who runs good routes and can play outside as well as the slot. Reminds me a lot of Mario coming out of Michigan. The Giants continue trend adding play makers to their receiving corps and Wright could come right in and be insurance for guys like Jernigan, Hixon and the loss of Thomas as well.

6. Donte Paige-Moss DE North Carolina- The Giants look to address DE and look no further than North Carolina. Donte is risk coming off an ACL but the Giants take him in the 6th to sit back and learn, groom and mature before dealing with the uncertainty of 2013. He has good overall size and length and is a solid, secure tackler who gets penetration.

7. Tramain Thomas S Arkansas- Thomas is a play maker in the secondary and shows great athleticism. Very fluid and with solid range. Lacks ideal size for a safety and needs to get stronger but the Giants feel he's the BPA and definitely worth the pick here.[/quote]

Good personel but a bit unrealistic ...

1) Devon Still most likely will be gone by #32.

2) Wagner is probably not around at #64.

3) Bobby Massie is sure to be gone at #96.

4) Ladarius Green and Isiah Pead are both borderline 2nd round picks (certainly gone in the 3rd at some point).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]Good personel but a bit unrealistic ...

4) Ladarius Green and Isiah Pead are both borderline 2nd round picks (certainly gone in the 3rd at some point).[/quote]

That's the funny thing about projections that people don't take into account...the trades and reaches that teams make. No one had a clue Amukamara would go 19 last year... or Austin would be available at 52nd especially given the way he dominated the E/W Shrine Game and his combine performance. Jernigan last year was considered one the top WR's and was projected in almost every mock I saw in the 2nd round...Brewer, Jones, Sash all were projected much higher than they went. Teams were reaching for QB's like crazy last year.

My mock is just a mock which is taking into account how Reese would look to grab value and BPA's. I disagree that Still and Wagner are are sure fire to go before the Giants pick. The Massie pick is more of a stretch but I put him down only because I could see him slipping being he's strictly a RT and is not as versatile for a man with his size and athleticism to play both tackle positions. Also I think it's very realistic Pead and Green go in the range I have them.

It's cool if you don't think players will be available but...do drafts really always go as projected? I haven't seen it yet.

[quote user="titwio"][quote user="Kruunch"]Good personel but a bit unrealistic ...

4) Ladarius Green and Isiah Pead are both borderline 2nd round picks (certainly gone in the 3rd at some point).[/quote]

That's the funny thing about projections that people don't take into account...the trades and reaches that teams make. No one had a clue Amukamara would go 19 last year... or Austin would be available at 52nd especially given the way he dominated the E/W Shrine Game and his combine performance. Jernigan last year was considered one the top WR's and was projected in almost every mock I saw in the 2nd round...Brewer, Jones, Sash all were projected much higher than they went. Teams were reaching for QB's like crazy last year.

My mock is just a mock which is taking into account how Reese would look to grab value and BPA's. I disagree that Still and Wagner are are sure fire to go before the Giants pick. The Massie pick is more of a stretch but I put him down only because I could see him slipping being he's strictly a RT and is not as versatile for a man with his size and athleticism to play both tackle positions. Also I think it's very realistic Pead and Green go in the range I have them.

It's cool if you don't think players will be available but...do drafts really always go as projected? I haven't seen it yet.[/quote]

Ah well if I could predict the draft order with 100% certainty I'd be a rich man. Having said that, you do expect certain players to go in certain rounds.

Prince falling to 19 was a big surprise ... but he was definitely going in the first round. If someone had originally put him in a mock last year, everyone would have called him crazy.

Now if the same someone put together a mock where they did that with their first FIVE picks ... calling it unrealistic was being polite.

If you only had one pick like that I would say it's very possible. Two picks like that ... doubtful but possible. Three picks ... a tad unrealistic.

FIVE picks ... well you get the gist.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]Ah well if I could predict the draft order with 100% certainty I'd be a rich man. Having said that, you do expect certain players to go in certain rounds.

Prince falling to 19 was a big surprise ... but he was definitely going in the first round. If someone had originally put him in a mock last year, everyone would have called him crazy.

Now if the same someone put together a mock where they did that with their first FIVE picks ... calling it unrealistic was being polite.

If you only had one pick like that I would say it's very possible. Two picks like that ... doubtful but possible. Three picks ... a tad unrealistic.

FIVE picks ... well you get the gist.[/quote]

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I didn't put too much research into this mock. I put what player positions the Giants would likely target and I knew these players bio's already. I don't think a lot of the players are as unrealistic as you say but if you do then that's ok...All in all It's just a quick mock I put together. I'm likely to have to 2 or 3 more before the draft.