+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3rd WR vs Running Game

Having a 3rd WR that can take advantage of one-on-one coverage is key to our success going forward.

If a 3rd WR doesn't step up then we need the running game to return to form to disallow opposing defenses to focus on our top 2 WRs.

I think the way the Patriots played us will serve as a blueprint for the league for next year b/c our 3rd WR is now unproven as is our running game.

***3rd WR/TE,
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

Re: 3rd WR vs Running Game

[quote user="B&RWarrior"]Having a 3rd WR that can take advantage of one-on-one coverage is key to our success going forward. If a 3rd WR doesn't step up then we need the running game to return to form to disallow opposing defenses to focus on our top 2 WRs. I think the way the Patriots played us will serve as a blueprint for the league for next year b/c our 3rd WR is now unproven as is our running game. ***3rd WR/TE,[/quote]

I'm not a gambling man, but if I were, I'd be willing to bet than Jerrnigan, or Bennett end up being a proven commodity this upcoming season.
    I'm not talking Cruz-type breakout, but definitely serviceable options.

Oderint Dum Metuant

I think these are huge question marks. Barden didn't show he could get open consistently las year. I don't even remember Jernigan on the field as a WR last year.

Jernigan was also a rookie drafted in a year with little preseason. I have a feeling he will develop a la Cruz or JPP.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckKnoxx View Post
    Whatever [Tom Quinn] says to keep a near decade long job has to be truly inspirational for him not to be working at IKEA right now.

Cruz or JPP? Talk about putting some pressure on the guy! The Giants need a slot guy who can settle into an opening and be a third down machine, much like Steve Smith was. I think they'll find at least that, somebody who can also go deep, or pile on yards after the catch would all be gravy.

You might as well say third receiver. Since we all know that there are different ways the Giants can put the team together, we should try and get any type of player who will be a good third option.

Veteran

Nicks still ended up with 10 receptions for 100+ yards. They wanted to double team both Nicks and Cruz, and in response Eli took advantage of a lot of all the underneath stuff. He had 16 completions to players not named Cruz or Nicks.

You're under estimating the talent/ability of NFL players. Just about anyone is going to thrive when they are on the field with Nicks and Cruz. Single coverage is what every receiver wants whether they are a WR, RB, TE or whether their name is Larry Fitzgerald or Jerald Jernigan.

Bottom line: We do not have to replace Manningham with a day 1 draft pick or free agent. Having two WRs who warrant double coverage means it should be easier for us to get production out of the other receiving threats on the field.

We need a Z receiver. I feel we have a damn good one on our roster right now, in Victor Cruz. He is a deep threat and is great in the underneath department as well. I don't really see any WR in this draft who can be a flanker for us that is worth our first round pick outside of *maybe* Reuben Randle. Kendall Wright, he is a
    great Z receiver as well, but might be gone in the first.

Sanu would be a nice fit at the Z in the second, but he has a lot of developing to do, and conversely, a lot of upside to untap if he can fully develop. Jeff Fuller, natural Z, not a really high ceiling though and not the best deep threat that you look for in a Z. Marvin Jones, I love this kid. Natural Z receiver, high upside, former RB in high school. If he is there in the second round, and is BPA, I would take him; third round is a little bit of a stretch though to think he will be there.

Stephen Hill, Marvin McNutt, Tommy Streeter and a lot of favorites on here are way better suited for the X receiver, they are much more fitting there. McNutt, I really don't like him at all, he plays a lot slower than his forty indicates. Hill and Streeter are specimens. They have incredibly high ceilings and they can become really good.

[quote user="BeatYale"]Nicks still ended up with 10 receptions for 100+ yards. They wanted to double team both Nicks and Cruz, and in response Eli took advantage of a lot of all the underneath stuff. He had 16 completions to players not named Cruz or Nicks.

You're under estimating the talent/ability of NFL players. Just about anyone is going to thrive when they are on the field with Nicks and Cruz. Single coverage is what every receiver wants whether they are a WR, RB, TE or whether their name is Larry Fitzgerald or Jerald Jernigan.

Bottom line: We do not have to replace Manningham with a day 1 draft pick or free agent. Having two WRs who warrant double coverage means it should be easier for us to get production out of the other receiving threats on the field.[/quote]

While Eli completed 16 passes to receivers other than Nicks and Cruz 45% of the yards gained in those completions came from the 3rd WR.

In the second half the offense stalled. The Pats defense clamped down on Nicks and Cruz and the role players couldn't find a way to get open.

I think your underestimating the talent/ability of NFL CBs. Not every 3rd wide receiver has the ability to beat man-to man coverage or find the hole in the zone. To think of it as a given that we'll find somebody to equal MMs ability and production is not being realistic. MM can play is a #2 WR on almost every NFL team besides the Giants.

[quote user="BeatYale"]Nicks still ended up with 10 receptions for 100+ yards. They wanted to double team both Nicks and Cruz, and in response Eli took advantage of a lot of all the underneath stuff. He had 16 completions to players not named Cruz or Nicks.

Bottom line: We do not have to replace Manningham with a day 1 draft pick or free agent. Having two WRs who warrant double coverage means it should be easier for us to get production out of the other receiving threats on the field.[/quote]

While Eli completed 16 passes to receivers other than Nicks and Cruz 45% of the yards gained in those completions came from the 3rd WR.

In the second half the offense stalled. The Pats defense clamped down on Nicks and Cruz and the role players couldn't find a way to get open.

I think your underestimating the talent/ability of NFL CBs. Not every 3rd wide receiver has the ability to beat man-to man coverage or find the hole in the zone. To think of it as a given that we'll find somebody to equal MMs ability and production is not being realistic. MM can play is a #2 WR on almost every NFL team besides the Giants.