+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Core players

Core players

I believe around 30% of a team roster represents your core. Core players that really represent the essence of your team and would be hard pressed to trade. What 15 players do you think represent the CORE of the Giants?

I think:
    Eli, Nicks, Snee, Bradshaw, Cruz, Webster, Philips, Boley, Rolle, Weatherford, Tuck, JPP, Osi?, Thomas?, Diel?

Re: Core players

This is a difficult question.

You pretty much said every player that would be hard pressed to trade.

I would add Osi to the list, also a player who does soo much for this team and you would never know on the stat sheet. Kevin Boothe. Now would Boothe really be hard pressed to trade? I would think not, but he is a player that is valuable to this team. How many guys can play LG,C,RG on any team? I amguessing not much.

Another player who does alot for us is Linval Joseph. He is a wall in the inside of the line. Strong at the point, young. And I feel will only get better.

Giants fan since the early 80s

[quote user="ny06"]

This is a difficult question.

You pretty much said every player that would be hard pressed to trade.

I would add Osi to the list, also a player who does soo much for this team and you would never know on the stat sheet. Kevin Boothe. Now would Boothe really be hard pressed to trade? I would think not, but he is a player that is valuable to this team. How many guys can play LG,C,RG on any team? I amguessing not much.

Another player who does alot for us is Linval Joseph. He is a wall in the inside of the line. Strong at the point, young. And I feel will only get better.

[/quote]

Yes, I would like to add Osi to that group, but I'm still undecided. To your point, I understand the value of Boothe, but is he really a core player? There should be 1 or two more.

[quote user="JimC"]I believe around 30% of a team roster represents your core.* Core players that really represent the essence of your team and would be hard pressed to trade.* What 15 players do you think represent the CORE of the Giants?

I think:
    Eli, Nicks, Snee, Bradshaw, Cruz, Webster, Philips, Boley, Rolle, Weatherford, Tuck, JPP, Osi?, Thomas?, Diel?
    [/quote]

MM was a part of our core, much more so than Weatherford. I think Deihl is replaceable as well. I think Jacobs was a part of the core. We run a 2 back system. IMO, I don't think we have 15 that are irreplaceable. I think the way the league is set up teams will have to replace 2-3 core players due to salary cap restrictions.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

I totally disagree that Jacobs was a core player. Perhaps MM was, but only marginally so. He was definitely not more of a core player than Weatherford.

[quote user="JimC"]Perhaps MM was, but only marginally so. He was definitely not more of a core player than Weatherford.
    [/quote]

This.

Weatherford was an unsung hero of the 2011 season. Couldn't ask for a better season from a guy we didn't have high expectations of.

Oderint Dum Metuant

[quote user="JPizzack"]

[quote user="JimC"]Perhaps MM was, but only marginally so.* He was definitely not more of a core player than Weatherford.*
    [/quote]

This.

Weatherford was an unsung hero of the 2011 season. Couldn't ask for a better season from a guy we didn't have high expectations of.

[/quote]

I disgree. Weatherford is a punter. He only plays a certain number of downs. For most of our victories we were outscoring the opponent. So even when he pinned the opposing teams deep in their own territory often times we still let them score.

If you had to list the one consistently dominant force on last year's SB team everybody should say it was the offense, and MM was a top threat in that offense (when healthy). I think a loss of MM would have definitely hurt us more than a Weatherford injury during last year's SB run.

A healthy MM made us a different team on offense, in a way more impactful than a good punter could ever do. If we won games with our defense an argument for Weatherford might be possible, but we outscored people last year.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

[quote user="JPizzack"]

[quote user="JimC"]Perhaps MM was, but only marginally so. He was definitely not more of a core player than Weatherford.
    [/quote]

This.

[/quote]
    Weatherford was a core player. That's why we franchised him and signed him to a long term deal. If MM was a core player, we would have found a way to resign him.

[quote user="B&RWarrior"][quote user="JPizzack"]

[/quote]

This.

[/quote]

I disgree. Weatherford is a punter. He only plays a certain number of downs. For most of our victories we were outscoring the opponent. So even when he pinned the opposing teams deep in their own territory often times we still let them score.

If you had to list the one consistently dominant force on last year's SB team everybody should say it was the offense, and MM was a top threat in that offense (when healthy). I think a loss of MM would have definitely hurt us more than a Weatherford injury during last year's SB run.

A healthy MM made us a different team on offense, in a way more impactful than a good punter could ever do. If we won games with our defense an argument for Weatherford might be possible, but we outscored people last year.[/quote]
    If you don't think that Weatherford was a core player, then you obviously weren't watching the games this season, particularly the NFCCG and the Super Bowl.

Again, if MM was a core player then he would have been resigned.

Eli, JPP. The end.