+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reflecting-Bradshaws two near fumbles NFCCG/SB

with the talk about Bradshaws feet, and the need for a new RB, I couldn't help but remember two plays that could have changed the Giants and his fortune completely around.

That fumble late in the 9er game, and again, that fumble late in the NE game...the year before in 2010, Bradshaw had a bad fumble problem.

Then this last season, he fixed it but I remember thinking as we got deeper into the playoffs, that he was "due"...

I hate to say we got lucky in any aspect, bc I believe it was just we were the better team than any and all challengers, but seriously, AB got EXTREMELY lucky that the 9er game fumble was blown dead, and the fumble in the SB was recovered by Snee I believe...

and it got me to thinking, maybe we let the wrong rb go?? AB is going to always have nagging feet issues. Jacobs or not, we'd still need a viable RB to take over for AB if he got hurt...
    Now our run game will be completely revamped if AB missed time which I have no doubt he will.

I love me some AB, but perhaps the smarter move was releasing/trading/restructuing AB, keeping Jacobs for a fraction of AB's cost, and drafting a rb (like we will have to anyways) to split carries with Jacobs.

Now, dont turn this into hate or anything like that. AB is a manchild beast, helluva heart and gutsy performer...but still, he did almost cost us the season, he didnt really even do all that good anyways, and he will always have foot issues...

maybe AB needs to be the complimentary back...but we're paying him like the everydown back...i dunno just thinking aloud and fishing for some convo...

Re: Reflecting-Bradshaws two near fumbles NFCCG/SB

I love his fumbling at "key moments" issue that he will always have.

Veteran

Some revisionist history for sure - but fair to take a look. I think what your discounting is that Jacobs is 29 which for a back is fairly ancient. AB is a better all purpose guy but certainly the foot injuries are an issue. Either way the position of back needs to be replenished every 4/5 years minimum due to the pounding these guys take. Also AB didn't get a monster contract. It seems fairly clear (although you can never tell for sure with reese) that a RB is coming in the draft.

As for the fumble in the pats game that would have been atrocious - but i believe brandon fumbled in the playoffs too and it was recovered by us. As for the niners game - no luck that was the right call - forward progress.

If the man can take care of some of his foot problems he would be a top 5 RB in the NFL. Hopefully taking off training camp and letting his feet heal will help him out. I really feel like the training staff should look at what Ray Allen of the Boston Celtics just said about his foot problems early in his career. He switched to a larger shoe and always used a gel insert. Infact he has increased his shoe size 3 times in his NBA career. AB's foot problems are probably much worse than Allen's but at least it gives me hope!

[quote user="dave56dj"]Some revisionist history for sure - but fair to take a look. I think what your discounting is that Jacobs is 29 which for a back is fairly ancient. AB is a better all purpose guy but certainly the foot injuries are an issue. Either way the position of back needs to be replenished every 4/5 years minimum due to the pounding these guys take. Also AB didn't get a monster contract. It seems fairly clear (although you can never tell for sure with reese) that a RB is coming in the draft.

As for the fumble in the pats game that would have been atrocious* - but i believe brandon fumbled in the playoffs too and it was recovered by us. As for the niners game - no luck that was the right call - forward progress.
    [/quote]

i agree about the 9ers game call, but still, it could have easily been called incorrectly and ruled a fumble...its not as if the refs were making the right calls in our games for the season...

i agree with ur first paragraph. but i do not believe jacobs lost the rock at all in the playoffs.

and my point about us keeping the wrong back possibly isnt about the talents of both, AB imo, is clearly the better all around back. but in our offense, with the situation we currently face, I'd at least feel a lil bit better if we had Jacobs...

i was just thinking about how those two fumbles got completely lost in the glory of the SB win...had we lost in either game bc of those fumbles, imo, AB wouldnt be a Giant considering his issues with his feet...

AB is here because he has been able to juke and make something out of nothing even as our line has devolved, whereas Jacobs tries to dance and gets tackled for a loss, not to mention he can't even pick up 3rd and 1 anymore.

RBs usually have short shelf lives anyway and both BJ and AB have outlived their shelf life. Getting a freak like Tiki Barber who can be productive for 10+ years is the exception.

AB is on his final treads anyway, time to think about the future and take whatever we can get out of him in the next 1-3 years.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

All-Pro

I think all the way back to the Cards game where Cruz got lucky his was blown dead. We lose that ball, we aren't even in the playoffs.

Ahmad Bradshaw carried the football with 10x the heart that Jacobs did.

That said., I do think picking up a running back in the first 3 rounds is crucial.

Bradshaw is getting ol from a RB standpoint. He's not one of those workhorses ala Tiki, so we're gonna need some help. I love AB though, he helped us win two Super Bowls and has shown nothing but pure heart.

[quote user="TuckYou"]I think all the way back to the Cards game where Cruz got lucky his was blown dead. We lose that ball, we aren't even in the playoffs.[/quote]did you have to go there??...thanks for twisting the knife...lol.....