+ Reply to Thread

NFC EAST DRAFT NEEDS

NFC EAST DRAFT NEEDS

Excerpt: "Fifth of an eight-part series

With the NFL draft coming up April 26-28, we examine each team's personnel
    and identify its top three needs going into the draft, subject to any free-agent
    signings it may make before then.
    </p>
    New York Giants

Overview: The team has been relatively quiet in free agency,
    as expected, following its Super Bowl victory, filling only one considerable
    need at tight end (signing Martellus Bennett) after Travis Beckum and Jake
    Ballard suffered torn ACLs in Super Bowl XLVI. But even with little movement so
    far and rings soon to be placed on their fingers, the Giants have some needs.
    They were only 9-7 in the regular season and were outscored by opponents, barely
    making the playoffs they dominated. They’re in good shape with picks, owning all
    their original selections plus a compensatory pick at the end of the fourth
    round.</p>

Need No. 1: Offensive tackle</p>

The Giants have allowed ORT Kareem McKenzie to test the market and don’t
    appear likely to re-sign him at this point. They have a potential in-house
    solution in Dave Diehl, who has played every spot on the line other than center;
    he can kick from left guard (where he started the season) or left tackle (where
    he ended it) over to the right side, and the Giants probably would be fine. But
    that’s assuming OLT Will Beatty’s eye is fully healed — he has been cleared to
    start working again after having surgery to repair a detached retina in late
    November — and that his back problems don’t act up. The third tackle is untested
    2011 fourth-rounder James Brewer, and he’s an unknown at this point. The team
    needs another tackle on the roster and could take one high. They value this
    position.</p>

Need No. 2: Defensive line</p>

Seems foolish, right? The team with maybe the best defensive line in football
    might be seeking … a defensive lineman? It’s the way the Giants do business:
    They draft talented players who fill tough-to-find positions. They could take a
    rush end and have him be groomed to one day replace Osi Umenyiora, or they could
    draft an inside player, which would give them a terrific young nucleus with
    Chris Canty, Linval Joseph and Marvin Austin. Don’t rule either out.</p>

Need No. 3: Wide receiver</p>

The loss of WR Mario Manningham opens up an opportunity for last year’s
    third-rounder, Jerrel Jernigan, to step up. By the end of the season, Jernigan
    started to slow flashes — as a returner. He didn’t catch a single pass, though,
    so projecting him to make up for Manningham’s 523 yards (and, for that matter,
    his playoff heroics) is a bit of a reach. Ramses Barden keeps hanging around, as
    does Domenik Hixon, but neither can be counted on. The Giants need another
    option, despite the fantastic starting duo of Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz."</p>
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: NFC EAST DRAFT NEEDS

Can't argue with this although, if I were the Giants, I'd remove Defensive Line and put in CB.

Beatty has back problems?

Barden will be the #3. Jernigan is too raw.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

[quote user="slipknottin"]Beatty has back problems?[/quote]

I seem to recall some mention of it before his retina detached

Here's one link

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...ys-back-ailing
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I don't really agree. I wouldn't say defensive line is a need. We might pick one, but that doesn't make it a real need at this point. The same goes for WR. We have people in place, but a pick could still be used on the position.

I know it's old, but LB anyone? I like the players we have, but they are also quite untested. You could argue for RB or CB as well.